Tow capacity - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Name: Megan
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Tow capacity

Hi there,

Can someone simply tell me whether or not my 2005 Subaru Outback xt can safely tow my 1974 Boler? I have brand new tires on my vehicle and brakes recently done. I purchased the Boler shortly before break up with my ex and we did tow it once before, however, I have just been alerted to making sure I am within towing capacity! It never occurred to me that the Boler might be too heavy. I will be towing by myself with my two kids in car so I want to make sure it is safe. We are not towing very far this time out. Any thoughts on this I would appreciate!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0076.jpg  
Meg_Sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg_Sup View Post
Hi there,

Can someone simply tell me whether or not my 2005 Subaru Outback xt can safely tow my 1974 Boler? I have brand new tires on my vehicle and brakes recently done. I purchased the Boler shortly before break up with my ex and we did tow it once before, however, I have just been alerted to making sure I am within towing capacity! It never occurred to me that the Boler might be too heavy. I will be towing by myself with my two kids in car so I want to make sure it is safe. We are not towing very far this time out. Any thoughts on this I would appreciate!
Megan,

Welcome to the forum. One site says "Towing capacity is 2700 pounds (3000 for the 3.0 R models). Tongue weight is 200 lb."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...subaru-outback

However, you really need to call a Subaru dealership with your VIN or consult your owner's manual to be sure.

Tongue weight is generally 10% of towing capacity, but this one looks lower so that is an issue to consider carefully. Others will chime in regarding the weight of your Boler.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
According to the latest standards, if your tow has Class I rating,(2000/200)... it will tow that thing if it is anything like stock and doesn't have the "cast iron cabinet mod"

Oddly, I just did some research only to discover that Civilguy is right that tongue weight is often set at 10% of tow rating, based largely on arbitrary and irrelevant data.

The exact same hitch on the exact same vehicle with only a different engine will have radically different tongue ratings. One rated 200# another rated 350#. Thus they clearly determine tongue weight arbitrarily as 10% of the tow rating, without regard to chassis attachment, strength or even spring rates.
All questions directed to the company or to the dealer are answered with "religious dogma" without any evidence of sound knowledge of science or engineering. Just chapter, with no applicable verse. I.E... SAE: J2807

According to the same manufacturer, 10% is maximum allowed while at the same time 10% is the minimum and 15% the maximum for safety.

BTW; the manufacturers of Drawtite, Hidden hitch, and Reece guarantee their tongue weight ratings per application. They are often at variance with and greater than OEM.

This leaves the consumer with no alternative but blind faith at his altar of choice, in this ostensible age of reason.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Megan!

If you take the 200# tongue weight rating as the limiting factor, the maximum trailer weight would be 2000# to keep the tongue weight at a minimum of 10% for stability. (Consider the 2700# irrelevant for this type of trailer.) Assuming your Boler isn't unusually heavy (like the 2480# Scamp 13 reported in a recent thread ), you should be fine. I would expect a loaded trailer weight in the 1600-1800# range. With 2 kids and that beautiful golden retriever, you will need to pack the vehicle fairly lightly to avoid overloading the rear axle.

If it has an automatic transmission, I would discuss adding an ATF cooler with your mechanic.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Stick shift- it will be fine but don't expect to do 70 on hills.
Automatic, see above. Maybe, maybe not. But Subaru has traditionally (in the older models) underestimated towing capacities for the US market so it isn't something I'd worry a lot about if you don't try to go too fast.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I will guess that the Boler likely has no brakes. If you ever replace the axle, it would be a great time to get trailer brakes. Your Subie should be ok. Take it easy going up and down long, sreep grades.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Don't forget the dog.....
Old 07-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I will guess that the Boler likely has no brakes. If you ever replace the axle, it would be a great time to get trailer brakes. Your Subie should be ok. Take it easy going up and down long, sreep grades.
Oh, right, 1000 lb limit if the trailer does not have brakes.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote