Tow Haul down shift - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I learned to downshift on long down grades in the summer of 1978. This photo was taken the day I learned that it was the thing to do. It was an expensive lesson.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 120.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #22

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Tundra auto downshifting

We tow an Escape 21 with a 2017 Tundra 5.7 always in the tow/haul mode. I manually downshift on steep downgrades. I found that automatic downshifting, to maintain a specific speed, works sometimes when I do a quick braking at the top of the hill, but that doesn't seem to work every time.

If anyone knows how to trigger the automatic downshifting to maintain the truck speed on a downhill, I would appreciate the secret.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #23

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
RE Tundra Downshifting: I too would like to know how to do this. Thanks for the question Richard.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #24

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
Downshifting

I asked my son, an automotive mechanic, about whether it was better to downshift or brake when towing. He said the short answer is which would I rather replace, worn out brakes or a worn out transmission.
It would seem that if your trailer braking system is properly set up, that the wear on your vehicle's brakes would be minimal. I have used my son's advice when towing my Oxygen with my 2007 Santa Fe. So far my brakes and transmission have held up.
Good luck.
Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had new brake pads installed in my Subaru. Was towing my tent trailer, which had no brakes. Should never have towed with the Subaru, but I took it easy. Unfortunately stuff happens. i was in the slow lane on a six-lane highway, doing 80 kph down an eight per cent grade. I could see the semi trailer ahead, creeping down the hill at 40 kph. I needed to move to the centre lane, but I was being passed by a stream of vehicles doing 120 kph. Even though I was in a lower gear ( manual transmission ), I had to brake.

My wife asked, "what's that smell"? I told her it was probably the brakes on the semi ahead of us. Wasn't him. It was me.

Cost me $300 for another brake job.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Drewcock View Post
I asked my son, an automotive mechanic, about whether it was better to downshift or brake when towing. He said the short answer is which would I rather replace, worn out brakes or a worn out transmission.
It would seem that if your trailer braking system is properly set up, that the wear on your vehicle's brakes would be minimal. I have used my son's advice when towing my Oxygen with my 2007 Santa Fe. So far my brakes and transmission have held up.
Good luck.
brakes fade on long steep downhills, transmissions and engine braking don't. if the brakes severely fade due to overheating you literally will not be able to stop, with potentially catastrophic consequences.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #27

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
brakes fade on long steep downhills, transmissions and engine braking don't. ...
More precisely, (friction) brakes fade when overheated. You can get the same effect by applying the brakes for long enough at high speed, even if going uphill. Police vehicles involved in pursuits sometime suffer from brake fade, and not from going downhill. True however, that towing on a long downgrade is a very common factor is brake fade or even complete failure. So use engine braking also! Just keep the RPM out of the red line.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote