Tow pkg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Tow pkg

I want to guy a Highlander. Should I allow dealer to install tow pkg ? Is it as good as manufacturer’s?
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If buying new get one with the factory package.
Usually when added at the factory any programming, wiring and heavy duty equipment is cheaper than the dealer and most dealers have no idea about what is required to do the job
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't know about Toyota, but with Rams, for instance, the factory tow package brake controller is built right into the dash and integrated into the trucks braking and electrical systems. The factory brake controller is a very nice option and much nicer than an add-on.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What kind of “tow package”?

Older Highlanders offered an optional factory tow prep package consisting of drivetrain upgrades: HD radiator, HD alternator, and HD transmission cooling. Those could not be added by a dealer; they had to installed during manufacture.

I believe current Highlanders come from the factory with all they need, mechanically, to tow the full rated weight, which varies by trim. Some trims have upgrades to tow 5000#, and on the others it's not available at any price. So, what the dealer is calling a “tow package” likely consists of towing accessories added by the dealer- hitch and 4-pin wiring. It will not change the factory tow rating.

If it’s a new vehicle, generally any dealer accessories added at the time of purchase are covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and sometimes dealer-supplied hitches fit better than aftermarket. However, dealer accessories generally cost more, and with the Highlander, Toyota doesn’t supply full 7-pin trailer wiring, only 4-pin. You’ll have to go aftermarket for the rest.

The alternative is to have a third party hitch installer do everything- hitch, full 7-pin wiring, and controller. If done correctly, it will be as good as the stuff installed by the dealer, but it won't increase the factory tow rating. Beware of the receiver- some don’t fit as well as others.

Bottom line... “tow package” can mean many different things. Know what you’re getting, as well as what you need to tow your intended trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know about Toyota, but with Rams, for instance, the factory tow package brake controller is built right into the dash and integrated into the trucks braking and electrical systems. The factory brake controller is a very nice option and much nicer than an add-on.
When I bought my Ram it came with what the dealer described as the “TOW PACKAGE”

Class 4 trailer hitch
Transmission cooler
4 & 7 pin receptacles
3.92 rearend
V8 engine
Oil Cooler
Integrated brake controller
Tow Haul mode
Hill assist
Anti slip rearend

One of the advantages I see is that factory installed equipment is covered under warranty , after market is not
Why would you buy a new vehicle for the purpose of towing and not get the tow package ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Why? Easy. If it’s only simple, aftermarket accessories, why pay dealer prices? If it’s not even complete, why pay twice?

Each manufacturer has a different way of packaging and selling towing equipment. Trucks are packaged differently than passenger vehicles. Passenger vehicles, especially the Asian makes, generally package everything in trim levels. The only options are usually dealer-installed accessories.

But first things first. What year is the Highlander, what trim, and what's included in the “tow package” the dealer is offering to install? (I used lower case because it’s probably a very small package... )
Old 07-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by asmckinl View Post
I want to guy a Highlander. Should I allow dealer to install tow pkg ? Is it as good as manufacturer’s?
No it's not. Have the dealer print out what is included in the factory tow package (or do your own research), and compare item by item with what they will install.

Always buy the factory setup if you are buying new.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
How do you do that? Add toxic masculinity?
What exactly would the package content be?
I looked it up and found this...

No wait ,, Here it is...

But there can be only ONE!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Why? Easy. If it’s only simple, aftermarket accessories, why pay dealer prices? If it’s not even complete, why pay twice?

Each manufacturer has a different way of packaging and selling towing equipment. Trucks are packaged differently than passenger vehicles. Passenger vehicles, especially the Asian makes, generally package everything in trim levels. The only options are usually dealer-installed accessories.

But first things first. What year is the Highlander, what trim, and what's included in the “tow package” the dealer is offering to install? (I used lower case because it’s probably a very small package... )
Thank you. I don’t think the salesmen know. I saw a 4 pin plug and what they said was a classIII receiver. The end. This was a XLE AWD 2019 new.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Georgia
LOL!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #11

Georgia
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Having worked for Chevrolet Motor Division for some 35 years I can tell you that factory add-on's are a problem, not so much back in the day before computers, but today they can sure cause havoc to the electrical system and send up error codes. Buy it from the factory as it works within the vehicle system and can be handled by the dealer service dept. if need be, trust me.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #13

Georgia
I’m finding a 7 prong plug doesn’t come on the Highlander. Has to be wired for it aftermarket. Which makes me suspicious of Toyota’s statement that it will tow 5000#. Maybe it doesn’t believe in itself. ��
Old 07-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

Georgia
Thank you for that information.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I’m finding a 7 prong plug doesn’t come on the Highlander. Has to be wired for it aftermarket. Which makes me suspicious of Toyota’s statement that it will tow 5000#. Maybe it doesn’t believe in itself. ��
You dont need a 7 pin to tow 5,000 lbs. Even if Toyota says you need trailer brakes, you can use surge brakes with a 4 pin connection for lights. So the statement might be technically correct.

But your point is well taken... In fact the ONLY way to equip my Toyota to tow a Scamp was to use after market parts. There was no option to factory or dealer equip it with what is needed. And in this case, it does not appear that we know what the "tow package" is so how can the question be answered?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Tow pkg

The Toyota web page shows the 2019 XLE AWD trim includes the HD alternator, HD radiator, and transmission cooler to tow 5000# as standard equipment. Any non-hybrid V6 AWD model includes the same equipment and tow rating. You’re good there.

Personally I’d look to an experienced aftermarket hitch installer to handle the hitch and wiring. With late model Toyotas there are some complications with the brake line that have been discussed elsewhere. I’d want an installer that has done a newer Toyota before. It can be done, but it requires a diode in the brake line connection to avoid error codes when adjusting or testing the brake controller. Toyota is no help.

Or skip the hassle and buy a Honda Pilot. That’s what we did. They are pre-wired from the factory for full 7-pin trailer wiring.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
2018 Highlander

We have a 2018 Highlander. XLE AWD. It is a very capable tow vehicle and has pulled our 4380 lb Escape 21 over the Rocky Mountains several times in several locations without a problem, just like my previous Highlander a 2012 Highlander.
With the factory tow package you get the receiver and hitch, a transmission oil cooler a maximum output alternator and an adequate radiator. . That’s about it. At the Dealership I negotiated for the electrical “end” of the setup. They installed a Prodigy 3 brake controller, a #10 charging wire off the battery protected with a circuit breaker. They installed a 7 pin receptacle at the hitch. The brake controller is also protected at the battery with another circuit breaker. They fished all the wire through the interior and none of it is visible. The technician did an excellent job. I have had no code error issues in 37,000 miles, the Anderson hitch is compatible with the factory hitch and we are happy campers.
I like my Toyota’s but they have a long way to go before they are truly selling a full towing package. The Tech got 2 hours to install the wiring. It took him 18. But my cost was fixed so I didn’t feel bad giving him a nice tip. But don’t let anyone tell you a Highlander won’t tow a 21. Especially if you’re wasting time in a coffee shop. Because, this old boy will be along directly and you’ll be in the rear view mirror.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We have a 2018 Highlander. XLE AWD. ..
I wont quote the entire message but there is a lot of wisdom in it.

To summarize a few of the points.
  • You do need after-market equipment (brake controller for one).
  • It does take time and effort to do all the wiring right, and it might be hard to find a shop (Toyota dealer or not) that will take the time to do a very good job.
  • Many (most?) Toyota models have a long way to go before they are truly selling a full towing package.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #19

Georgia
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;750176]The Toyota web page shows the 2019 XLE AWD trim includes the HD alternator, HD radiator, and transmission cooler to tow 5000# as standard equipment. Any non-hybrid V6 AWD model includes the same equipment and tow rating. You’re good there.

Personally I’d look to an experienced aftermarket hitch installer to handle the hitch and wiring. With late model Toyotas there are some complications with the brake line that have been discussed on other forums. I’d want an installer that has done a newer Toyota before. It can be done, but it requires a diode in the brake line connection to avoid error codes when adjusting or testing the brake controller. Toyota is no help.

Or skip the hassle and buy a Honda Pilot. That’s what we did. They are pre-wired from the factory for full 7-pin trailer wiring.[/QUOTE

I should reconsider a Pilot. I certainly don’t want to make an expensive car buying mistake..
Old 07-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Gordon
Thanks for the summary, I’m a man of many words. We have a shop in my home town that specializes in automotive electronics.
I called them up before I bought the Highlander and asked them about wiring in the 7pin and the brake controller. He said “we tried to install them in a new Tundra for a buddy of ours and we could not make it work.” He said he was leery of voiding a warranty on a new vehicle. When somebody will not take my money I usually find them to be telling the truth. The car salesman didn’t have much of an idea on the procedure but the head service guy said they’d done some and the parts guy had a folder of Printed cut sheets that allowed him to assemble the “kit” needed. The tech started on it on a Thursday morning and worked on it till quitting time on Friday. Then he took all the paperwork home and studied it on the weekend and finished up on Monday morning when he was sure of the connections he’d made. This was at Toyota of Iowa City Iowa. Maybe I’m lucky but these guys in the service department have always done well for me.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote