Tow questions, WDH, etc. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How much is "by far"? I don't have numbers, but I think they are within a few pounds, or even ounces. I know that the Andersen would lighten my wallet quite a bit compared to my Pro Series ( cheapest WDH that Escape sold ).
I'm afraid this took a bit of time to complete this assignment; googling the weight of a weight distribution hitch is something of a challenge.

Best I can tell, the Andersen ships at 52 lbs. and the Reese Pro Series RB2 at 102 lbs.

It looks like they are $600 and $300 USD respectively, probably more if you use funny money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada Funny Money John Candy back.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	141344

I recognize that you have a standing antipathy to the Andersen name, but I'm good with you staying with what works for you.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'll weigh my Pro Series tomorrow. Shipping weight would be total weight, but I carry the bars separately from the head. Cost at ETI was $350 CAD ( back then ).
Old 06-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #23

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
So, I think we are all in agreement that you need a WDH on the highway.

Now I am interested in exploring a list of the best WDHs for aging Fiberglass trailer owners who no longer wish to lift heavy WHD bars and (even more important) bend over to pop the bars into the hitch receivers.

Is it worth the money and hassle to switch systems? Is there are real difference in the weight of the bars as well as the physical strength needed to connect and disconnect the system?

Second, some of us occasionally go "off road" to access a nice campsite-one of the advantages of owning a Fiberglass. How much clearance do you loose with say a Blue Ox system? I understand that the sway bars tend to dip down low.

Finally, safety. It's vital to lift/lower the tongue to reduce tension when setting up the sway bars. But, I've heard some horror stories about the Blue Ox, with the chain snapping out. I also heard that the chains freeze up when your TV is at an angle to the trailer after backing up into a camp site. Are the other systems also problematic?

The Senior Friendly WDH systems I'm seeing in this thread alone is:
  • Anderson
  • Roadmaster
  • Blue OX

Any other additions?

Please share experience with these systems. Pros/cons compared with more conventional WDH. Why you selected them? Weight of your trailer/tow vehicle.

I use a Blue Ox Swaypro for a Bigfoot and like it, but I suspect it would be a terrible choice for your needs. The head+shank portion is the same for all the various weight capacities, which means it's built to handle something like a 2000lb hitch weight and is very, very, heavy. The weight distribution bars are light and easier to deal with than many designs, but the head is something like 80lbs and awkward to lift. The Andersen is significantly lighter at I think 52lbs for the full assembly.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:05 AM   #24

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Most manufacturers require a WDH for 5000 lbs and above. (Except for those 350 etc) An electric tongue jack is a good investment if you have a problem with cranking the manual jack.
Careful reading of the specifications should tell the tale.
Even the Touareg that I tow with has a dual limit of 5000 lbs with a straight ball hitch and 7700 lbs with a WDH.(this is even though VW says not to use the WDH!).
Even with my 3000 lb Scamp 16 (modified) I use a Reese Mini 350 and it improves the ride and stability. I bought the hitch when I read the ratings for the Town and Country I was towing with before as the ball limit for the vehicle was 1800 lbs straight ball and 3500 with teh WDH. The hitch helped on that vehicle as well.
If you don't want to use the WDH then don't just realize that you are giving up some safety and comfort margin.
As to using it for just short trips, most long trips are short trips of several hinderd miles joined together!
From Honda:

In your Honda owner’s manual, a table is included outlining how to estimate tongue weight based on rear suspension and compression when loaded or unloaded. There are other alternatives to measuring tongue weight; if you tow frequently, you probably want to measure your tongue weight fast and effectively. Purchasing a tongue weight scale is a compact and easy solution. If you find that your tongue weight either exceeds or does not meet the suggested weight, utilizing load distribution may be necessary to adjust the tongue weight. For larger and heavier trailers, a weight distribution hitch should also be considered.

If the difference is AWD models 2WD models
1 inches(2.5 cm) 150 lbs (68 kg)
1 1/2 inches(3.8 cm) 250 lbs (114 kg)
2 inches(5.1 cm) 350 lbs (159 kg)
2 3/8 inches (6.0 cm) 450 lbs (205 kg) –
2 5/8 inches (6.7 cm) 500 lbs (227 kg) –
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote