Tow suggestion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
HSD

Name: Howard
Trailer: Shopping
Connecticut
Tow suggestion

With money being of LARGE concern suggestion of/for a brand and model To look for when picking a used suv for towing up to a 19’ scamp more likely to use with a older 13’
HSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSD View Post
With money being of LARGE concern suggestion of/for a brand and model To look for when picking a used suv for towing up to a 19’ scamp more likely to use with a older 13’

Of course you can't tow a Scamp19 (fifth wheel) with an SUV.
Just about any brand or size SUV can pull a Scamp13 and with a few exceptions a Scamp16.
If buying used, and on a budget as a priority, you will probably need to avoid the premium SUVs, and a couple of the more popular nameplates.
The sweet spot right now would be a 2014 to 2017 with moderate mileage and and a good service record.
Prefer private sellers when seeking a good price if possible or if you are comfortable doing so.
Choose something you like and feel a certain trust in.

Most have a 4-plug for DOT lights , but if you find one with a factory tow package and electric brake controller all the better, but that might mean a little more scrutiny.
Lastly take a knowledgeable person along and hire a lift for a thorough inspection on serious prospects.
I know I have not listed my favorite makes but many folks here would choose from the bottom of my list anyway.
Good luck and happy hunting!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:57 AM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
If money is of concern it's a horrible time to buy any car. I've been looking at used cars as old as 2016 and anything worthwhile is still absurdly priced. Late model SUVs in particular remain in demand, and are priced accordingly. I agree with floyd that you need to look at private sales; even then, the prices are all over the place but you're not guaranteed to be raked over the coals as you are with a dealer.

Buying used, you benefit from being able to research common issues and repair costs associated with certain models and years. I have used carcomplaints.com and owner reviews on kbb.com to evaluate certain years. I've found that most car review sites are overly praising, while with owner reviews people are more likely to review if they have a gripe. So you kind of have to balance the two to find truth.

Good Sam publishes a towing guide that's a good starting point if you have no idea what you want. Search for "Good Sam towing guide (year)". Having identified vehicles with suitable towing capacity, then you need to dig into each model and find payload to make sure it will support your typical camping loadout. Manufacturers like to advertise tow rating, but seldom talk about payload, which tends to be the limiting factor if you're hauling passengers and gear as well as a trailer.

Since you need the TV, my advice would be to decide which trailer you want first, then size the vehicle accordingly. If you just want a 13', you can get away with something as small as a properly-equipped mid-size crossover or even a minivan. If you want a 16', you'll probably want something a little more capable. We did the opposite and so can't get quite what we'd like, but our vehicles serve well in their primary capacities.
Old 08-03-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
HSD

Name: Howard
Trailer: Shopping
Connecticut
Thanks

Thanks good advice for how to start my search I’m really leaning towards a 13’ scamp I’m one person And almost all my touring has been by motorcycle so packing light and small has been my way of life I did rent a class C about 10 years ago for two weeks
Howard
HSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 08:54 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
A newer ford ranger is a good fit for the class especially if you decide to move up in size later on. Not sure of the used market, my buddy tows his scamp 13 with that truck.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote