Tow Vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2003, 05:10 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Tow Vehicle

We have read the tow vehicle discussions but still need your knowledge or advice. We have narrowed our vehicle search to the Subaru Outback, V6, rated for 2000 lbs.,or the Toyota Highlander, V6, rated for 3500 lbs. This is to tow a Trillium 1300. Both come highly recommended, both suit our needs, but should the higher tow-rated Highlander be the one?
Please help to muddy the water even more by sharing your thoughts!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:15 AM   #2

Hi Don
If both vehicals are ok by you,I would go with the one for higher tow capacity.My reason is that you may want to get a bigger unit one day.
:wave

Old 08-09-2003, 05:28 AM   #3

In my opinion, I would go with the one with the most towing capacity.

What are the overall towing numbers for each vehicle? How do they compare? Things like wheelbase, trans axle ratio, weight, horsepower, etc. Are they both 6 cylinders? I don't know much about the Outback, but I know at one time the Highlander could have a 4 or 6. I personally wouldn't want to tow with a four.

Look at the numbers and then decide which one best suits your needs.

Old 08-09-2003, 05:50 AM   #4

Tow Vehicle

Don and Pam,

Before I purchased any tow vehicle I would give serious thought about the future. You may find that you may wish to trade your trailer for one a little larger with some additional features. Or someone may want to sell a larger one so cheap that you can't afford to pass it up. And your tow vehicle may not tow it very well if you have one rated to low.

I'm not saying that the Trillium isn't a fine trailer, but you never know what the future may have for you. I would consider something that would tow at least 5000 lbs., then you won't be so limited to what you can tow. And it will do a better job with anything that you tow.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2003, 04:08 PM   #5

Hi
An honest (if you can find one) salesperson will tell you that vehicles with 2000lb or under tow ratings are not really meant to tow anything other than a utility trailer around town. Not for travel trailers nor long distance.

We just went through the search of finding a newer vehicle and found that 8 out of 10 salespeople will tell you anything.

We have a 13' Trillium also. By they time it is loaded you will be very close to the 2000 lbs.

Go with the higher tow rating.
Nancy

Old 08-10-2003, 12:12 AM   #6

tow vehicle

I used to tow my Boler 1300 with my Nissan Pathfinder, rated to tow 5000 lbs, with a 240 hp V6. I now tow my Trillium 15 footer (close to 2000 lbs). I note that I can easily maintain posted speeds with this setup, and my fuel economy is about 4 or 5 mpg less than without the trailer. I think the extra margin of towing capacity makes less work for you engine and running gear as well.

Rick B