Tow vehicle for 16’ scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2020, 02:09 AM   #41

Name: Ray
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Well, I never meant to start a tow-vehicle flame war. I know, everyone has their preferences and experiences. Which is exactly why I asked in the first place. Appreciate everyone’s input.

My contribution would be that our family has been repeatedly well served by Japanese cars, and repeatedly ill served by American cars, over the years. I know the quality gaps have narrowed lately, but still, to break our loyalty with a purchase this large would require something that’s clearly superior. It could happen. Who knows, maybe it happens this time.

As to the question of where we’ll all sleep — the oldest and youngest generations would be in the scamp, which accounts for three people. The other two would pitch a tent or even sleep in the tow vehicle, we figured. Probably should’ve mentioned that sooner. We’re not picky. Some trips we may not have all five and I think we can squeeze four people in who really like each other.

As part of our test drives, we have been laying seats flat and lying down in the vehicles, much to the amusement of the dealers. It’s certainly not spacious but it’s certainly doable. I’m 5’9 so I fit in the back of any of the vehicles mentioned.

Does this seem like a realistic plan?

RM Northwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow vehicle for 16’ scamp

Absolutely. Not sure if the models with second-row captain’s chairs can do that. You’ll have to check each candidate to see. I’ve done the lie-down-in-back check on several previous vehicle purchases and gotten the same rather dubious look from the salesperson.

We have slept one adult or two preteen kids in the back of our Pilot. Its cargo floor is free of bumps and gaps, but it does have a slight downward slant from front to back. I try to park nose down if someone’s going to sleep in it.

In some climates you’ll have to rig up some screening to allow ventilation without mosquitos.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #43

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Northwest View Post
Well, I never meant to start a tow-vehicle flame war. I know, everyone has their preferences and experiences. Which is exactly why I asked in the first place. Appreciate everyone’s input.

My contribution would be that our family has been repeatedly well served by Japanese cars, and repeatedly ill served by American cars, over the years. I know the quality gaps have narrowed lately, but still, to break our loyalty with a purchase this large would require something that’s clearly superior. It could happen. Who knows, maybe it happens this time.

As to the question of where we’ll all sleep — the oldest and youngest generations would be in the scamp, which accounts for three people. The other two would pitch a tent or even sleep in the tow vehicle, we figured. Probably should’ve mentioned that sooner. We’re not picky. Some trips we may not have all five and I think we can squeeze four people in who really like each other.

As part of our test drives, we have been laying seats flat and lying down in the vehicles, much to the amusement of the dealers. It’s certainly not spacious but it’s certainly doable. I’m 5’9 so I fit in the back of any of the vehicles mentioned.

Does this seem like a realistic plan?
The highlighted portion says a lot. Buy Japanese. I certainly wouldn't... but you should.
An alternative to consider would be a van, even a Japanese van.

If you don't trust American vehicles, you could take a look a the Mercedes Metris van, It is particularly well suited for the task and for your application...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Some of the people on the forum have had ten or more RVs through the years, ranging from teardrops to Class A's and everything in-between or beyond. Some of this is driven by changing circumstances and needs such as when the kids leave home, and some by changes in travel style over time. I have an uncle who is a natural-born horse-trader, so rigs only seem to last a couple of years before he changes it up.

We have owned three travel trailers, starting with a teardrop which we towed with what we owned. The next two each required successively larger tow vehicles, which gets expensive. I started out trying to blend my personal desire for a smaller daily driver with our need for a stable, safe towing experience as there is an inherent instability in towing, where you are connecting a large heavy box on wheels to another vehicle by means of a somewhat tenuous flexible connection system.

Our Casita / Audi Q5 experience was excellent. The current Jeep / Escape 21 experience is acceptable, but still a notch lower overall. While I thought I had super-sized our current tow vehicle by getting a 7,200-lb tow rating, it turns out that I personally wouldn't want to tow anything much heavier with it than our 5,000-lb GVW trailer. I found myself pondering Steve Dunham's respect for the 6.7 Cummins diesel as we towed over rolling topography yesterday and the transmission moved quickly through five of the eight gears.

As far as what's realistic, almost anything is workable. I used to spend a week backpacking above timberline with 28 pounds in my pack. Personally, I would live with less trailer, but this one best satisfies both parties in our household so I am embracing the experience. It's up to the decision makers to decide what works for you.

You might want to cast a broader net on the RV side as it's tough to select equipment without having much experience in using it. Renting to gain additional experience or even as a final solution might even have some merit.

Civilguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp