Tow Vehicle Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the Market
Minnesota
Tow Vehicle Questions

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and also thinking about getting our first trailer. My wife and I have tented camped for many years but we are approaching retirement and are interested in doing some traveling. I have a few questions about getting started.

First, my plan is to use our 2015 Chrysler Town and Country as the TV. Is there anyone out there that has experience towing with this vehicle. It does not have the tow package but could easily have a transmission cooler added. It is equipped with a dealer installed 2" receiver hitch and 7 pin electrical plug. The owners manual states the towing capacity is 3600 lbs.

Second, what would be a good trailer for this vehicle. I'm thinking something in the 16 ft. class. We have two larger dogs and need some room for them in the trailer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and I look forward to reading your response. By the way I have already learned a lot from reading about others experiences and questions.

Tom
tomkiekhafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkiekhafer View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and also thinking about getting our first trailer. My wife and I have tented camped for many years but we are approaching retirement and are interested in doing some traveling. I have a few questions about getting started.

First, my plan is to use our 2015 Chrysler Town and Country as the TV. Is there anyone out there that has experience towing with this vehicle. It does not have the tow package but could easily have a transmission cooler added. It is equipped with a dealer installed 2" receiver hitch and 7 pin electrical plug. The owners manual states the towing capacity is 3600 lbs.

Second, what would be a good trailer for this vehicle. I'm thinking something in the 16 ft. class. We have two larger dogs and need some room for them in the trailer.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and I look forward to reading your response. By the way I have already learned a lot from reading about others experiences and questions.

Tom
Hi Tom, and welcome to the FGRV forums!

If it were me, I would take my van to the Chrysler garage and ask them if it was ready to tow 3600#s. Often it's not just a tranny cooler, it is gear ratios and other things.

Once you've done that, there is a list somewhere here on the forums of actual trailer weights that someone more sophisticated than myself will provide a link to! That's a good place to start.

Best of luck to you!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Name: Adriane
Trailer: shopping
Florida
I have an '08 Lexus RX 350 with a tow package, but the capacity is maxed at 3,000 lbs. I need the bathroom, and want twin beds, but the weight of the 17 will max me out. Does anyone have suggestions?
Where can I shave some weight......and no smartie comments such as leave the hubbie at home....already thought of that.
armyreesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyreesey View Post
I have an '08 Lexus RX 350 with a tow package, but the capacity is maxed at 3,000 lbs. I need the bathroom, and want twin beds, but the weight of the 17 will max me out. Does anyone have suggestions?
Where can I shave some weight......and no smartie comments such as leave the hubbie at home....already thought of that.
Parkliner would do it. 2100#s dry weight, queen size bed in back and bunks on the curb side mid to front of the trailer, with toilet up front, some have showers as well. Bunks were an option, so may be hard to find used.

Still, 3000#s is stretching it for what you want, especially with an older vehicle. You'd be fine as long as you were not over your gross vehicle rate weighting. Any idea what that is for your Lexus?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Adrianne, you might want to start a thread of your own so replies to you don't get jumbled with replies to Tom.

Tom, many FG trailers should work with your van. Scamp 13 or 16, Casita 13 or 16, Escape 17, Lil Snoozy, Parkliner are all candidates. I'd avoid anything larger... including Casita 17 due to their heavy hitch weight. A dealership should be able to check your vin and see how your van is equipped, and tell you what was included in the tow package. Then you can evaluate what you need to add. A tranny cooler is a good bet; it might be as simple as that, but nothing like asking them to make sure.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkiekhafer View Post
Hello Everyone,

Tom
Tom, we don't have a Chrysler T&G but do tow with a 2014 Honda Odyssey, another minivan.

We tow a 2600 lb Scamp 16 with 200 of the 2600 pounds on the tongue. Our Odyssey tows the Scamp easily. The Odyssey has a V6 with a 6 speed automatic transmission. Honda has a lockout for towing on 5th and 6th speeds. We ignore it and it seems to tow just fine, rarely exceeding 2000 rpm.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote