Tow Vehicle Suggestions - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

A gas engine will be powerful enough. We had a 17,000 lb motorhome towing a 4,000 lb car and criss crossed the country and continent three times and always had enough power to cross the Rockies and feel safe.

As well we put 100,000 miles on the engine/transmission without anything but minor repairs. It was a Ford V8.

As to mileage, I can't speak to mileage you'll get towing your Big Foot.
Your mileage will be affected by both your BigFoot and your big foot.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #62

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
John, power should be fine and we can calculate that, but fuel mileage could be a real issue, here are some owner's comments:
2500hd 6.0l Gas Mileage. - GM-Trucks.com

A well specified Ford F150 with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost would be an interesting gas truck to look at.

Mark
- - -
Thanks. I've read that thread and also used fuelly.com to get estimates. I went to Ford several weeks ago to check out the 6.2L gas F250. They suggested I take a look at the EcoBoost 150. When I mentioned our weights they pulled together three "experts" (sales) guys. After deliberation they all agreed that we'd need to start with a 250 due to our loads.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

A gas engine will be powerful enough. We had a 17,000 lb motorhome towing a 4,000 lb car and criss crossed the country and continent three times and always had enough power to cross the Rockies and feel safe.

As well we put 100,000 miles on the engine/transmission without anything but minor repairs. It was a Ford V8.

As to mileage, I can't speak to mileage you'll get towing your Big Foot.
It's these times I wish I just bought things and didn't agonize over the details. I wonder if there are changes to the engines they put in motor homes.

Mandi keeps joking that I'm getting a truck for Christmas, so maybe she knows something I don't, or maybe she wants me to shut up!

-John
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your mileage will be affected by both your BigFoot and your big foot.
Yup, punch that pedal to move that land sail! I expect to drive conservatively since we shouldn't have any place to be. I'm hoping a camper top on the truck may help the drag a little.

I agree on well specified. More like, "all we have are base trucks with no engines, seats, or wiring and gold plated ones that you can drive home today." When you try to apply their configuration algorithm to build the truck that can perform those feats they tout, the system bans you for life after un-friending you.

Today's automotive purchasing experience is only slightly different than yesterday's. Instead of smoke and mirrors it's actuarial physics and vommit.

-John
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #65

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
If it was a v-8 Ford, I'm guessing it was a big block 460, my buddy in Texas has one with a Chevy 454 big block. Again that is just a guess. Ford also used some of those v-10 engines several years ago.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #66

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
John, regarding the Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5L turbocharged gas V6, it is tricky to spec for the maximum possible capacities. A 4x4 SuperCab can be had with a GVWR of 8200 lbs (it must be the long bed with "Max" Trailer Tow Package). The GCWR would be 17,100 lbs, max trailer weight of 11,200 with a max 1,130 lb hitch weight.

First look indicates the loads you expect would be within the Max Payload of 2,440 lbs and within front & rear axle weight ratings.

I can provide details on this and/or other trucks you might consider.

Mark
- - -
Mark Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Godfrey View Post
John, regarding the Ford F-150 Eco-Boost 3.5L turbocharged gas V6, it is tricky to spec for the maximum possible capacities. A 4x4 SuperCab can be had with a GVWR of 8200 lbs (it must be the long bed with "Max" Trailer Tow Package). The GCWR would be 17,100 lbs, max trailer weight of 11,200 with a max 1,130 lb hitch weight.

First look indicates the loads you expect would be within the Max Payload of 2,440 lbs and within front & rear axle weight ratings.

I can provide details on this and/or other trucks you might consider.

Mark
- - -
I looked at the Ford online again. It would be close. I'm not sure what the Heavy Duty Payload package entails but my mind has a mental block to working a 1/2 ton that hard. Do you think I could get 10 years out of that set-up?

-John
Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #68

California
I understand your concern regarding the "1/2 ton size". Capabilities have grown above the short hand "pecking order" nominal ton-ratings. The 8200 lb GVWR puts this F-150 (as equipped) in GVWR Class 2, 1-Ton rating. The F-250s have a min GVWR of 9400 lbs (1-Ton) and up, but the payload capacity *can* be as little as 2200 lbs (F-250 CrewCab 4x4, 172WB, 6.7L).

Key elements in the "Max" towing package for the F-150 include: Sway & Brake Control, 7 pin harness with 7/4 pin connector, Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, HD Radiator, Class 4 equalizing hitch (11,300 lb max trailer / 1,130 max tongue wt).

I would not expect chassis or suspension failure over 10 years & 150,000 miles while staying within rated weight limits (assuming any appropriate care / maintenance). Logic may dictate a smaller displacement, more fuel efficient, engine would be under greater stress than a larger displacement engine for a given power range. Real differences in life expectancy & reliability would be harder to project.

I mention the F-150 Eco-Boost as an efficient possibility -- about as svelte as you would go, while within load & power requirements.

Mark
- - -
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #69

Thanks again. I 'm going to ask my BIL how his 150 is holding up under a constant 1000lb load. He has the 5.4 so his mileage will be different but the normal wear and tear should be similar. Speaking of mileage I have found the Eco Boost numbers to not be what Ford claims. They're only slightly better than the 6.0 in the GMC. I'm trying find someone who tows a comparable load.

-John
Old 12-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #70

California
John, I would expect the V6 turbo might get similar gas mileage to the V8 at larger throttle openings & more extreme power demands.

The smaller displacement V6 will get better gas mileage under less demanding power needs, such as much of your 1/3 non-towing miles, and also any less demanding towing miles.

They may not be indicative of the mileage you get, but EPA estimates would give a good comparison for those less demanding miles.

Unfortunately (non-fleet) comparisons of real-world fuel mileage under load would be compromised by variables including; vehicle options, weights, resistances, terrain, temperature, altitude, and gas blend.

Mark
- - -
Old 12-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #71

Well, today we brought home a 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Short bed 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7 H.O. engine. Being the end of the year we got a fair price and an aggressive trade. We are absolutely enamored with the truck and expect to keep it 20 years.

-John
Old 12-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #72

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Well, today we brought home a 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Short bed 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7 H.O. engine. Being the end of the year we got a fair price and an aggressive trade. We are absolutely enamored with the truck and expect to keep it 20 years.

-John
Excellent choice! (I'd have got the long bed version - just my own preference - but, otherwise - excellent choice!) Longevity is good with that power train, economy is great, and you should be very happy with it! With regular oil changes, (about twice as often as mfg recommends!) that engine should be good for up to a million miles.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #73

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio

-John
Yikes! Are you going to tow a fiberglass trailer with that beast?

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #74

California
John, congratulations on the new Ram!
It looks as though possible rear axle ratios include: 3:42, 3.73 and 4:10. I presume yours is a 6-speed automatic; can you tell me the axle ratio? (I'm just studying & comparing trucks specs, as I have the product data available.)

Mark
- - -
Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #75

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
Don, he's got a 25' Bigfoot... not a 13' egg

Sounds like he's been talking to Mike Sanders....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #76

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Don, he's got a 25' Bigfoot... not a 13' egg
Oh.

OK!

That makes more sense. I am still passing time until my ship comes in a 2 or 3 years so I can stop working so much and have free time to actually travel. The trailer will probably be a 17' Casita FD. I'm still undecided also about the tow vehicle. But in two or years, lots of things can change in the industry. I'm still hoping someone comes up with a 1/2 ton diesel. That would be great fun and not overkill. By then, gas will probably be up to $5/gallon.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #77

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Tow vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
There ain't no such thing as too big of a truck! (or too much torque!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #78

Thanks everyone. I did talk with Mike too which nudged me just a little. A million miles would be fantastic, that would make this the last vehicle we'd ever buy. We went with the 3.73. The 3.42 would have worked but the 3.73 gives us room if we ever want to change campers (which we doubt we'd go bigger, maybe smaller but who knows). I do love the 4.10 but the pulling we're going to do I couldn't justify it and hopefully we'll get 1mpg more with the middle ratio.

I had to get a different downtown parking spot today since it won't fit in Mandi's parking garage at her job. That will be the biggest adjustment. Even with the short bed this truck is huge! It drives great though and we're excited to get the Bigfoot out soon.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #79

Forgot to add that we did get the Automatic!

-John
Old 12-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #80

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
There ain't no such thing as too big of a truck! (or too much torque!)
Of course there is,.... that's like saying there's no such thing as too big of a wrench!
My Ranger is the perfect size for it's purpose and it fits in my Garage!
Our town has "angle to the curb" parking, and the fullsized four door dually pickups actually block traffic and use two parking spots since they extend several feet into the lane. If they use one spot the fenders block parking on either side.
Nothing like an 7000# truck for taking a 110# woman to the store for a one pound loaf of bread!
At Walmart the dually versions actually need four spots to park.
I'm not saying that the choice here for pulling a large BIGFOOT isn't appropriate, just saying that there is such a thing as too big of a truck, and that , like wrenches....
the "right size" works best.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote