tow without electric brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen in Winnipeg View Post
If you are just towing to Birds Hill you will be fine. Most of southern Manitoba is so flat that you won’t have a problem. ...
Until this...

For the short distance and short term, you might just accept the very small added risk of not having trailer brakes. But for the long term, I for one would want as much chance of stopping in time as reasonably possible. You can leave all the distance in the world between you and the vehicles in front of you, and still need to emergency brake when the unexpected happens. And in urban areas, leaving more stopping room in front of you is next to impossible since everyone will jump in front of you. The bottom line is when towing any trailer without it's own brakes, your stopping distance will be longer than if you were not towing. Will that added stopping difference be a problem? NO ONE can predict. So I will say not you will be fine.. you might be. Or might not. Even with trailer brakes. But except for short term exceptions, why not take advantage of the extra stopping power?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Reminds me of back when I first got my 16' scamp. Thought all I had to do is hook it up and the brakes would work. Drove over 5000 miles across country and everything seemed fine in my Chevy Suburban. Traded the Scamp for a Casita and realized I did not stop as fast. Found out I needed a brake controller. whew! Your vehicle may not be as big but drive careful.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #23

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Don't let everyone make a damn science project out of your question.

Hook up the trailer, hit the road and have fun this weekend.

You will be fine!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Consider the laws, most are there for safety not to spoil your fun. Biggest issue with your combo is weight ratio. Assuming you must have a. Eco boost motor to have that tow rating you can pull it no problem. Stopping safely means your TV weighs enough it doesn't get pushed so they have a law in some areas that brakes must be used is total load exceeds 1/2 the weight of TV. That's where your close. If I read your area a trailer with gross weight under 2006lbs not required. Your legal if you have the tow package and a way to make lights function I THINK. BE SAFE leave extra room between the vehicle ahead.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #25

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Just be sure to leave very ample following distances.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #26

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
I don't know how have your trailer is but I pulled a 16 and 17 foot Casita without trailer brakes with no issues because they are so light. What does your tow vehicle way and can it stop the extra weight. That is the question
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft (21RB25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordelia View Post
Hey there! So, I had scheduled to have electric brakes put on my new car with U-haul today. Thankfully, I checked in yesterday and they had moved my appointment to the 27th without communicating that with me. So, I am left without electric brakes on a weekend where I have booked camping. I am driving the new 2020 ford escape, rated for 3600 lbs, and I am pulling a 77 surfside. I am only going to Birds Hill. Can I do this without electric brakes? I've never towed without, so I don't really know. Thoughts?
Again subject to motor vehicle laws in the areas you are driving and that includes around the block. Trailering units that are designed to have brakes be it electric or hydraulic ; must have them hooked up to the towing vehicle and in working condition . If caught ,you as the operator, pay the fines . Anyone who suggests otherwise; is irresponsible and I am sure they will not cough up the dollars to pay such fines.

There may be trailers out there that should have brakes but for whatever reason they may not and if the total towed weight is over the limit for your district or the district in which you drive ; you may be liable.

If the towed trailer never had brakes then no problem except the signal, taillights and brake lights must be hooked up and working. The trailer must be under the limit at which a working braking system must be installed.
Len S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #28

Name: mike
Trailer: biggar
British Columbia
tow without trailer brake

many years ago I was towing a trillium with a full size 1966 Chevrolet wagon on a gravel road without trailer brakes, entering a corner a deer leapt out . automatic reaction hit brakes , the momentum of the trailer pushed the ass end of the car along with the trailer into the ditch . when you have no way to control the momentum of what you are towing anything can happen . luckily me and the family were unscathed except for soiled undies . friend hooked on and pulled me out and off we went . if for some reason you have to make an emergency manoeuvre you will wish you had trailer brakes .
mike mcbiggar in b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #29

Name: terryjan
Trailer: 2005 17'Bigfoot CB Since Aug 2017
British Columbia
Towed Lil Bigfoot 30000miles with Jetta Diesel wagon Through the Rockies to east coast, AZ numerous times. 30mpg Imp. No Problems.
No brakes had lights though.
terryjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Not to reply to anyone direct, I will just say can vs should are different things. Everyone be careful and think about others, could be another vehicle, bicycle, kids, or pets along your path. If that doesn't make you think, it could be you driving, riding the bike, or playing like a kid as the tow vehicle and trailer without brakes skids out of control and ends your camping life style.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #31

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Regrettably, most decisions we make are dollar driven. The easy one for me is brakes since it makes sense to invest a few dollars in safety than the legal, moral and emotional outcome of the risk. All you need is for your insurance company to drop you and have to look at an insurance policy from the likes of Lloyd’s of London, who insure the un-insurable.
My TV can handle my 13’ Boler but I feel so much safer having brakes to assist in coming to a better stop. Not everybody pulling a light FGRV drives a heavy duty vehicle. And not everybody that is going to put you at risk is going to always be directly in front of you. My experience was someone intent on T-boning me from a side road.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #32

Name: Frank
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Brakes are good

I have towed my 13’ scamp for two years but one day, on the highway at 60 in a rainstorm, I hit a bump just right and the hitch popped off. I just lightly applied brakes and was already in the right lane so I eased onto the side of the road easement, pulled out my trolley jack and tightened up the nut on the hitch and was back on the road. Without brakes the trailer would have pushed and crushed into my bumper but the electric brakes kept that from happening and that sealed the deal on whether or not it was money well spent. After hitching from now on, I crank up the trailer and lift the back if the car to ensure the nut holds the hitch tightly....
Scamp-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you are towing with Manitoba plates, brakes are required on a trailer above 2000 pounds.
Illinois says it is safe to tow without brakes on trailers up to 3000 pounds.

Most people ignore speed as a factor... so slow down when towing... brakes or not.
Also there is always a lot of heat produced by this subject due to so many people lighting their hair on fire at the mere mention of the subject.

Listen to the calmer voices, there are some here.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #34

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
A little story for ya:
Some years ago in our coach, with a 16ft enclosed trailer containing our workshop tools as well as a bronco 11 car, the stinger broke on a 4 lane each way freeway, going up hill me in the second lane and cars doing the california rush everyone doing 65mph and close together, the trailer swung from side to side and cars were doing everything to get clear, dragged the rig onto the shoulder and looked to see what happened, on the stinger, (bit that has the ball & plugs into the coach receiver) There was a hairline crack across the top, right where it left the receiver with a film of rust showing, the other three sides were shiny and had just ripped apart. Did not apply the brakes because the trailer was probably disconnected and did not want the trailer to catch up with the coach, pulled gently to a stop . Put SWMBO into the bronco and got her to reverse about 6 or 8 inches to get the weight off the tongue, put the spare stinger in set the trailer onto the ball and drove another hour or so to Los Banos CA, next day re did the wiring, only permanent damage was to the cup on hitch, it is slightly deformed from being dragged, and is a little hard to drop on and lift off the ball.
Trailer brakes are a two edged sword, nice to have, but you need to know how and when to use them

Tags
brakes