tow without electric brakes - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
tow without electric brakes

Hey there! So, I had scheduled to have electric brakes put on my new car with U-haul today. Thankfully, I checked in yesterday and they had moved my appointment to the 27th without communicating that with me. So, I am left without electric brakes on a weekend where I have booked camping. I am driving the new 2020 ford escape, rated for 3600 lbs, and I am pulling a 77 surfside. I am only going to Birds Hill. Can I do this without electric brakes? I've never towed without, so I don't really know. Thoughts?

Cordelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
I'm sure I'm going to get fried for saying this but I have owned several fiberglass campers and only a couple of them even had brakes that worked. Is it better to have them yes, do people use their trailers without them yes. Be very carful that you leave extra room to stop, don't tailgate, don't speed down mountain passes, be careful.

PS you might also want to look into your local vehicle regulations to find out if it is legal to pull your trailer without brakes. If an accident occurs it could be a liability issue.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Name: Angela
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
I would only be going about 40 minutes door to door, and definitely all flat. Not a hill in sight...lol
Cordelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I agree with Steve. Check local laws. Jut google towing laws by state.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
What about your tail and brake lights on the trailer?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordelia View Post
I would only be going about 40 minutes door to door, and definitely all flat. Not a hill in sight...lol
I've owned golf cart/ATV trailers that fully loaded weigh more than your camper. They didn't have brakes installed and frankly you would probably never know the difference if they did.

As Glenn mentioned make sure all of your lights work correctly.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #7

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Maybe hook up go around the block, if your comfortable try a 80 kph
Multi lane road.
Hooking up and heading out the highway might be a little daunting right off but a little experience takes some nerves out of your trip.
We have pulled our boler at least 40,000 k without brakes with a mulitude of vehicles most in your tow capacity range with no problem but we aren't the first ones to the campground either.
Fred
Old 05-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #8

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Your Surfside is like my Boler and I towed it the first year and a half without it having brakes without a problem. Besides your TV is well equipped for your needs. The only reason I installed brakes was that I don’t trust others; got cut off by a rolling stop driver. Thankfully, I was paying attention and was travelling at a good speed. Be Uber-careful and you should be okay and, yes, check the rules governing tow vehicles. One of the best things that I did to the Boler was replace the original taillights with LEDs for better rear protection.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #9

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
I tow a 13 ft scamp behind my street rod which is a 1947 ford with updated suspension and disc brakes for years all over the northwest without any problems. Just maintain good following distances and use common sense.
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
You should be ok to tow . I have had 3 Trilliums ( 1 1300 & two 4500 and one surfside ) none of them had trailer brakes . Been all over BC , towed with an o8 Escape, 10 explorer ,and a 1965 Caliente .

Quote:
Hey there! So, I had scheduled to have electric brakes put on my new car with U-haul today. Thankfully, I checked in yesterday and they had moved my appointment to the 27th without communicating that with me. So, I am left without electric brakes on a weekend where I have booked camping. I am driving the new 2020 ford escape, rated for 3600 lbs, and I am pulling a 77 surfside. I am only going to Birds Hill. Can I do this without electric brakes? I've never towed without, so I don't really know. Thoughts?
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #11

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My 1992 13' Scamp doesn't have electric brakes (although there is a mount there that would accept 7" brakes). It weighs 1,580 pounds loaded.

I have pulled it with a 2004 Sprinter rated to tow 5,000 pounds. As others have mentioned it is best to drive defensively allowing ample room ahead of you for stopping.

Check your local laws too as you want to be informed when you're making such a decision.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: unknown
Ontario
Since you will be travelling on flat highway and traffic should be fairly light you will have no trouble. Normally that weight of trailer does not come with brakes. I towed the same weight in the mountains without too much trouble with an ford aerostar and no trailer brakes though I wished at the time that I had a better TV like a half ton.
john hackert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #13

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
It seems as though a lot of people tow without trailer braes and suggest others do the same. Not good idea. Just because some get away with doesn't mean you should, Look up the laws in your area and go by them, ignore what is being said here about "how so many have gotten away with it"/
Old 05-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Vehicle owners manual may have different weight ratings depending on if the trailer has brakes or not. We towed our Uhaul CT 13 that did not have brakes with a Honda CRV. Got away with it but overheated and warped the front brake rotors on the car. The trailer weight was around 1500 lb. Fortunately we no longer own that camper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Does the trailer have electric brakes? Is the tv rated high enough for the weight of the trailer? What does the law say about the weight of the trailer needing brakes? If it didn't come with brakes then the tv will be the determining factor for safe stopping. Would I try 40 miles on the flats, probably. Would I do it when traffic is heavy-No. If some idiot hits you and you need to have brakes you could be at fault or at least partly at fault. I'd be leery if you need brakes and would not go very far without them. If you don't have brakes I'd drive very slow like 50 MPH so others stay away from you mostly and go early or late.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 PM   #16

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
You should be ok to tow . I have had 3 Trilliums ( 1 1300 & two 4500 and one surfside ) none of them had trailer brakes . Been all over BC , towed with an o8 Escape, 10 explorer ,and a 1965 Caliente .
1965 Caliente
PICTURE PLEASE!! Our 64
Attached Thumbnails
8840be8557d8ea40a4812aa86bbedc22.jpg  
Old 05-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #17
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
47 memory good distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim ellis View Post
I tow a 13 ft scamp behind my street rod which is a 1947 ford with updated suspension and disc brakes for years all over the northwest without any problems. Just maintain good following distances and use common sense.
I bought a beautiful 47 with a wonder bar a/m radio and steering wheel lock in 63 for $175 at a Chevy dealership. They put new brakes on the front but did not rebuild the wheel cylinder. The pedal was soft and I returned immediately to the garage. About 20' from the 12' overhead door the cylinder blew and by the time I pulled on the emergency brake on I was half way thru the door. I had to climb out the window to get out. They owned that one because they did not rebuild the wheel cylinder which was std. with brake replacement. I sold it as soon as i could.
The dodge is cool.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #18

Name: Carmen
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
If you are just towing to Birds Hill you will be fine. Most of southern Manitoba is so flat that you won’t have a problem. You do need to have brake lights for the trailer.
Carmen in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: Richard
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
I towed a Triple-E Surfside for a while in BC without the electric brakes working. They are light and it was easy to stop.

The limit for driving without a trailer brake in Manitoba is 907 kg (2000 lb) for the trailer.

https://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp#MB

There are few places on earth flatter than Manitoba. I wouldn't worry.
Richard McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #20

Name: WALT
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Ford Escape

We towed a Scamp with an Escape rated at 3500# and felt uncomfortably underpowered. Don't remember the Scamp weight, but I'm sure it was considerably less than your trailer. Get in an accident with non-working brakes and your insurance company will not be happy.

WALT2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes