Towing 101 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
hitches

:wave paul, you are absolutely right but my remarks were for the fella that commented on a bumper mounted receiver as opposed to the ball mounted to the bumper. For what Benny is towing he's probably ok but when you mount that bumper receiver sometime down the line your tempted to try and tow something much heavier than it can handle which is what I did:inbox . happy camping from a happy camper :cblob Bill

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:06 PM   #22

I agree. With the step bumper I had on that pickup, a bumper mounted receiver would have been fine. But, it was an unusual step bumper. I put a bumper mounted receiver on the back of my old TT, to carry a bike rack. We went about 300 miles south, and when we stopped, my bikes were almost dragging the ground -- the bumper had twisted. Several hours and some heavy steel plate later, the bumper was straight and never to twist again.

That aside, step bumpers put the hitch ball several inches higher than a frame hitch, and it is, in most cases, too high. A frame hitch better aligns the trailer to the tow vehicle, as well as providing a better mounting point. You've invested in a great travel trailer, don't skimp on the hitch. It's part of the cost of trailering, and needs to be looked at that way, not as an "extra".

Old 05-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Orginally posted by Paul E Henning
Bumpers are for bumping. Hitches are for hitching. t'aint the same thing!
Howdy, If this quote is right then I guess that people that make tow hitches to fit the newer style GM trucks are in the wrong business as all the ones that I have seen mount not only to the frame but also to the bumper. My old 90 GM clunker has the hitch attached only to the frame. So BUMPERS ARE FOR MORE THAN BUMPING.....Also if you are pulling a trailer with a high hitch that lines up with the bumper mounted ball or a slammed truck with a low bumper and a lower trailer tongue it doesn`t matter where your ball is mounted as long as your trailer is level . ....Benny