Towing 101 -weight distribution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Towing 101 -weight distribution

Well, being timely is my thing, so since they were calling for snow today, Yesterday I decided it was winter tire time. Wife's car- no problem, just remove all seasons, and install winter studded tires, all 8 tires are on factory rims, easy swap.
Now, my Envoy- oh yeah, last year I noticed that two tires were balding, but no problem i picked up a used set of 4 on rims in September, 'cause the price was right . Oh crap, wrong bolt pattern, ok, ill take all 8 studded winter tires on rims to my mechanic and have him swap out the bad two, and pull the other two off the rims, so I can sell the rims I don't need, and keep the other two as spares. Oh, Oh, one of the two better tires has major cracks in the side wall, ok, better just change all 4.

Now, the pre-amble is over - the towing part:
I hate making wasted trips, and my Mechanic is a half hour drive. Since I have to go by the dump, i throw the garbage in the front of my trailer, and the eight mounted tires behind them, standing on edge, but securely strapped down. Dropped off the garbage, and headed into town. Local road is 80Kmh(50Mph), but under construction, so I was doing about 60Kmh.
trailer towed fine. then I got to the 4 lane where the limit is 100Kmh(60Mph).
At 80Kmh, I thought the trailer was bouncing a bit over the bumps, at 85Kmh, i could feel it puling the back of the envoy.
Now, my envoy is rated to pull 6500 Lbs., my box trailer is about 500Lbs, , and will haul 2500Lbs easy. I have never felt it sway before. I had eight tires in it, no load at all really, But I forgot the most important part-- Pay Attention to where your load is!
The tounge needs weight, or it will sway. It doesnt need to be off by a lot either. rRemind yourself on your next dump run, put the weight where it needs to be

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good reminder. I think we are more likely to become careless when we're towing well below our limit, but even a small, unbalanced load can become a big problem! Glad it ended with everything right-side up and inside the trailer!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Same type of thing happened to me recently.
I built my little utility trailer in the mid 80s. On my 5 mile or so trip home with some long lumber couldn't run the 50mph speed limit because not enough tongue weight. An improperly loaded trailer can be deadly.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight