Towing 13' from PA to Western NC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Generally you can flip ball mounts. They work as well up as down!

Each vehicle and each trailer is unique. Folks here can probably point you in an approximate direction, but basically you want the trailer to be level when you're hooked up behind the TV.

What I've done with trailers I just picked up is stop by Tractor Supply and they let me try out different combinations till I get the right one. Of course, you need the tools to swap balls and all.

Good luck!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaLeeFree View Post
What is the recommend hitch clearance for the 13' scamp? I want to know if I should swap out my traditional 2" ball for one that goes up instead of down from the hitch...
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #22

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
13" Scamp. 18 inches from the ground to the top of the ball. That's what my manual says, anyway.

When I bought my Scamp from Montana, the seller was kind enough to go to their DMV and pick up a transport tag for me. No big thing. I paid her the $7 the tag cost and we placed it RIGHT where they said to put it.

MT to MO, no problems.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #23

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Mon and Frank - Thanks! I just found the info about 18". I'll have to flip the mount and adjust the ball and measure...Hoping it provides enough clearance so I don't have a buy a different one. Thankfully it was on $26 if I can't find the receipt.
BrendaLeeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #24

New York
I have enough of them now (3) that up or down I can cover most anything. Last one I got for the Subaru to tow the boat is unbelievably heavy, being a high rise made out of solid steel! Most ball mounts are heavy duty steel tubing.

It pays to buy a wrench for the ball nut too, and a big pair of channel locks to hold the ball in place while you tighten the nut.

Frank
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #25

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
I've read that one with a lot of rise, it will hold less weight, it this true?
BrendaLeeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #26

New York
I think so Brenda, if this last one we bought is any example. Instead of being made out of tubular steel, it is 2" square steel stock, and rated for some amazing # of pounds. I assume they had to use solid steel to get that rating. Stupid thing is ridiculously heavy!

Frank
Old 06-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaLeeFree View Post
I just found the info about 18". I'll have to flip the mount and adjust the ball and measure...Hoping it provides enough clearance so I don't have a buy a different one.
Also consider the weight of the tongue will drop the ball height an inch or two on most vehicles. So you can be a bit higher but not much because you want to tow with your tongue level or slightly down. Tongue up is not a good thing, nor way down. In other words, you have a bit of wiggle room.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote