Towing 2 rec vehicles at the same time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello to everyone at the Forum,
We are 2 adults and 2 kids (under 12.) We will be leaving on sabbatical for 7 months from May-Dec to Montana. My husband will be towing a aluminum 16' boat and an egg with a Toytota Tacoma. Anyone ever do this while traveling?

Liz Kissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Question

Quote:
We are 2 adults and 2 kids (under 12.) We will be leaving on sabbatical for 7 months from May-Dec to Montana. My husband will be towing a aluminum 16' boat and an egg with a Toytota Tacoma. Anyone ever do this while traveling?
hi liz---your sabbatical sounds like it'll be a great experience for all of you! however, please start it out safely---do some research into the laws of your state to find out if this tandem-towing is even legal..it sure isn't in alot of places! personally, i wouldn't do it because it just doesn't seem safe to me..but to each his own. i have seen it being done, though, and it just somehow looks wrong.
i'd be interested to hear not only if it is legal where you live, and where you are going, but if you do go ahead, how you make out.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
When you check for legality, be sure and determine whether the first trailer must be a fifth wheel type trailer, since some prohibit two bumper style hitches but allow a second trailer only if the first is a fifth wheel type.
Although I'm sure your rig is stable, when I think of a two trailer rig , I can't help but remember a wind up Donald Duck train from my early childhood which snaked across the room with a single axle on every other car![lol]
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You Really need to check all the States you will be traveling through to see if is within the law.

And Good Luck Backing Up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This topic comes up occasionally. Some states it's okay, some states absolutely illegal and some require a commercial drivers license to tow doubles.

Here's a fairly recent topic on this very issue. Perhaps it will help you determine if towing doubles will work for you:
Towing Doubles
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
It's done all the time, personally I wouldn't care to but as others have said to each their own. As others have suggested finding out the laws in each state you will be traveling thru is smart.

Having lived in Montana, my question is, what about the word sabbatical do you equate to Montana in Dec? Truly winters in Montana can be brutal, and fall can be very cold. You may want to re-think your departure date out of Montana. Extended travel in a egg with 4 people in the best of weather for any length of time would be challenging. But living in an egg with 4 people I don't care how young they are or are not would be near impossible during fall and even a little tad of winter weather. Pulling even one trailer in Montana during winter weather is not what I would even call a vacation much less a sabbatical. I am not trying to be a nay say'er, but really I have lived and traveled thru several Montana winters. Ya might want to re-think it just a tad.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #7

Another thought!

With a Tacoma, just with the 4 of you plus gear you are going to be at the tow cap of the Tacoma (I tow with a 2009 Tacoma) . Yes a lot depends on the type of egg your speaking of. But really even the lightest 16'er is around 2000 pounds give or take a couple hundred pounds, then 4 people in the truck (occupants take down your towing cap) then gear for 7 months, I would think you are gonna really be pushing it if not sooooooooooooooo over weight that the thought of adding a fishing boat to the mix, really might be a too much.

Ok, I said I didn't want to be a nay say'er and it's sounding a lot like I am becoming just that. I trying not too! But I am a realest, so yet again I have another question. Have you thought about the capability of your truck pulling the long grades that you will come across in Montana? Montana mountain grades are not steep, quick grades. They tend to be looooooooooong incline's/decents. How well do you think your truck can handle it with a full load? In therory your subattical sounds wonderful, and I hope you can work it out. But please take to heart the questions/issues that have been brought up.

Also, though I warn you about the fall/winter weather conditions just an FYI even spring and summer in Montana can have weather challenges, snow in July in some parts of Montana is not un-heard of.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe
Here is a website showing state RV laws. It covers size restrictions, overnight parking in state rest areas, required equipment, and if triple towing is permitted or not. State RV Laws
Paul & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would like to thank everyone for the answers to this question. My husband and I will be thinking about this more seriously. We have lived in Montana and Wyoming so we are not so shocked by grades/inclines. But, we have never pulled two recreational vehicles either. We surely want to be safe. Thanks again...
Liz Kissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Since I'm not sure where your starting from in the "rural south," I couldn't be sure about the states to check. However, Tennessee - Missouri - Iowa - Nebraska - Wyoming allow triple towing with normal safety requirements (chains, breakaway switch, etc.). By planning correctly, you could make it to Montana by going through these triple-tow friendly states. I was even surprised to read that passengers can ride in the travel trailer while being towed in some of these states!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
I was even surprised to read that passengers can ride in the travel trailer while being towed in some of these states!
Montana is only 5th wheel trailers that can have occupants. Can't tell you about the other states but would assume that it's probably 5th wheels as well.

I just went and checked, it's 5th wheel trailers only in all the ones I checked. Personally I wouldn't ride back there for nothing. But to each their own.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Big glass Motorhome
Legality of doing it aside there's some physical things to consider:

?Frame capacity of the Egg? Putting a rated receiver on it is one thing, the frame supporting the push/pull torque and static or "hang" weight of your boat and trailer is another.

?Braking? I'd guess your Egg has trailer brakes. Does it? Are they electric or surge type? The reason I ask is the surge type more or less work on inertia and having the extra weight and momentum of the boat going forward may make for undesired stopping results.

?Cooling? May is warm to hot and I'd guess your trip would classify as a long one. You'll be working your radiator, transmission and oil (if equipped) cooler hard. Is that system up to the task? I found out the hard way about transmission cooling. I smoked the automatic years ago pulling a fifth wheel in the intermountain west due to inadequate cooling. Maybe other reasons too, but the shop said more cooling for the task was required.

?Gross Combination Vehicle weight? It's in the owners manual for my Ford I'd guess it's in your Toyota's manual too. This figure is important as it considers engine power, transmission, braking and weight support capacity. Believe it or not I found working with Ford directly, (The manufacturer NOT the Dealership) when I was faced with a similar situation very helpful. Before further posting occurs about Ford vs Toyota vs GMC starts I offer this info only because I own a Ford. Toyota, Chevrolet, Nissan and the like are all capable, quality vehicles.

In closing best of luck and posting pictures of the results/trip is required. The are those of us here who are addicted to RV's, boats, quads, camping and the like and supplement our own experiences by living vicariously through others.
Dan Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote