Towing: 5th Versus Bumper Pull? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Cathy, I'm 56 and just got my trailer 4 years ago. It took me a few years of lurking to take the leap of courage and buy one. My girlfriend is 60 (and met me when she saw my UHaul in the yard, and liked it so well that she went and bought a used Scamp). We also camp with a third lady who is in her upper 60's who has towed her little Boler all the way down to Alabama and back by herself. None of us are fabulous superwomen, just ladies who want to camp. You really can do it. Let me know if you're ever in Michigan (I'm south of Flint) and maybe we can meet up. And remember, these little trailer hold their value so well, that if you find you don't really want to keep it, you can resell it for pretty much what you paid for it. (try that with a stickie!).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It might help you if you have a friend who has some experience with towing trailers and who can ride with you on your first tow-drive. Just to talk and reassure you, see what you're doing and give you pointers. Get into an area that is pretty deserted and feel what it's like to have that thing behind you. Go to an empty parking lot and practice backing up. Practice hooking and unhooking with your friend watching over you.

A 5th wheel is generally considered to be sway-proof because the pivot point is over the axle instead of several feet behind it, but a correctly loaded trailer (with about 10% of its weight on the tongue) should not sway anyhow. Also some people feel that the 5th wheel tows with less bounce; it won't make your tow vehicle bob like a seesaw the way a trailer can when going over humps and stuff. Those are the main differences. But a 5th wheel requires a pickup, and a trailer doesn't.

There is risk in anything; it's risky to get up in the morning, because you might slip and break your neck! The risks in towing a small trailer are pretty manageable. Hardly anyone crashes and burns. A few folks slip up and forget to fasten the latch on the ball, or they back into something and make a dent... pretty manageable stuff. The 13, 16, and 17 foot trailers all tow pretty easily. Way easier to do than a monster 30 footer. Once you get a little practice and feel confident that you know how to do it, you'll be happy you did it.

Never let fear rule your life.
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #23

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Never let fear rule your life.
Amen!
Plus being scared means you are alive!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Do one thing every day that scares you - Eleanor Roosevelt
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Cathy

When I had my first Egg years ago I was driving back from Florida going through Atlanta on the Interstate when I felt a "Lurch" and saw one of my trailer wheels passing me on the drivers side of the car!

I was shocked of course as you really are not expecting this kind of thing to happen and it freaked me out pretty good for sure.
Well the funny thing was that I never lost control or even really felt stressed as though a crash was coming next?
The rig handled about the same on 1 tire as it had on 2?
I pulled off the road right away of course and all was OK aside from the missing wheel/tire and I got it back on the road within a day and continued home.

I have also since had a blowout on the highway with the same result.

My point in telling this story is that I can not imagine many situations worse than that one while on the Highway towing and all came out well and no one was hurt.
I am not suggesting you try this(Ha!) but it has helped me relax when towing to a great degree for sure.

I also am committed to towing with too much vehicle rather than too little and if I think I am on the margin of too little then I go towards too much.
I never want to be in an event where the trailer is telling the vehicle where to go if I can help it.
The price of fuel seems small to me when I think of the extra safety that I perceive when towing with a Full Size Truck.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ed: Your first paragraph made my hair stand on end! I am glad everything turned out OK and yes, I can see how after that you would feel more confident that you could handle an emergency.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote