towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #1

Name: rick
Trailer: currently shopping
gulfport
towing

would i be ok to tow a 2007 casita 17' deluxe with my ford explorer with the factory tow package ? or do i need a wdh? my ford is rated at 5000 towing
rjl1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
See if your door sticker lists payload. That will be your limitation if there is one.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl1226 View Post
would i be ok to tow a 2007 casita 17' deluxe with my ford explorer with the factory tow package ? or do i need a wdh? my ford is rated at 5000 towing
A 5000# tow rating is sufficient to tow a Casita 17D. Whether it will be satisfactory for you depends on your driving style, performance expectations, and the type of terrain you tow in. What year and engine do you have? Is it a FWD or RWD chassis (depends on year)?

As to weight distributing hitch use...
(1) What does your owner's manual say?
(2) What kind of hitch do you have- factory integrated or bolt-on, and is it rated for WDH?
The answers determine whether it is required or even possible. Not all vehicles and hitches are capable of handling the forces of a WDH.

As to whether it is beneficial, if the owner’s manual doesn’t give a specific threshold, the best way is to get axle weights of your vehicle before hitching up and again after hitching up the fully loaded trailer. Include a full tank of gas and all passengers and cargo that will be on board when you travel. A cruder method is to measure the ground-to-wheel arch height front and rear. If the rear axle is at or near its rating and/or if the front axle is being significantly unloaded, WDH is indicated.

With a tongue weight typically over 400#, I suspect you might benefit from WDH. In addition to redistributing weight evenly across both axles, WDH can reduce the porpoising motion you can sometimes get with a heavy tongue load on a softer rear suspension, making for a more pleasant ride.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote