Towing a 13' Scamp with VW Tiguan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Towing a 13' Scamp with VW Tiguan

Just bought a 2013 VW Tiguan, 4 cyl. with automatic transmission.
At some point I want to buy a 13' Scamp with the bathroom and electric brakes.
The VW manual states Max permissible trailer weights for trailer with brakes is 2200 #'s. Tongue weight is 220#.
It will be used for weekend trips to Arizona or Cali. Definitely not mountains like the ones by Denver.
Does this seem feasible to tow with this? Also, the tow package only has a class 1 hitch, I can upgrade that to a Class 11, correct?
I want this to be a safe and enjoyable lifestyle, not "what the heck was I thinking". Any tips and advise greatly appreciated. If I don't have the right vehicle then it's back to the drawing board. Thanks.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Volkswagen Tiguan Trailer Hitch - 2013 | etrailer.com

I think your cutting the weight close but to each their own. My ParkLiner is about 2500lbs loaded and I have a 3500lb tow capacity and am thinking of upgradeing my tv next year.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Looking at Fred's sticky post "trailer weights in the real world" (General Chat) there are 3 13' Scamps. Two of them are standards which probably doesn't include the bath (but I don't know Scamps very well). They average 1760 pounds with a 223 tongue weight.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Looks like I may have to consider a Burro, U haul, or a Compact. All of which I could live with for weekend fun. From the list, looks like they would work but I think the bathroom has to go!
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah the extra weight of the bathroom does bring the weight up and place some more on the tongue....but I found with my ParkLiner that if I travel with the water tank full which is on the other side of the axle my tongue weight dropped from around 295 'ish to around 260 which still puts it a little over 10% so its fine. I did add a weight distribution hitch which helps spread the load out a little.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
Looks like I may have to consider a Burro, U haul, or a Compact. All of which I could live with for weekend fun. From the list, looks like they would work but I think the bathroom has to go!
Those trailers are all sans toilet. My 13' Scamp sans toilet, but with brakes, weighs in at 1700lbs fully loaded for camping.
You'll come a lot closer to that 2200 pound limit with a toilet than without.

Tags
scamp