Towing a camper and hauling an ATV with a Tacoma 4cyl - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
rjg

Name: Ron
Trailer: Looking!
Pennsylvania
Thanks to all for the useful information. I found a thread with an actual weight of a 13' Scamp with a bathroom and shower. It was 1760 lbs. Here are the numbers that i came up with:

Tow capacity - 3500 80% of that is 2800
Trailer - 1760
ATV - 590
All Cargo - 500

So total weight comes to 2850. Personally, I think this is within reason. Closer than a small toy hauler that I was looking at to tow with our Pilot. It's UVW is 2315.
rjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #22

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I don't know how much of your cargo you can get alongside the atv lashed in the bed so I'll assume it will all go in trailer. So swag of 2260 curb wgt. of the trailer and, if an optimal 10% of that wgt. on the tongue, that's 226. So 816 "in the box" or at least on the axle. The Taco is a half-ton pup but I'd consider something to harden up the suspension such as Timbren donuts or air shocks.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
rjg

Name: Ron
Trailer: Looking!
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I don't know how much of your cargo you can get alongside the atv lashed in the bed so I'll assume it will all go in trailer. So swag of 2260 curb wgt. of the trailer and, if an optimal 10% of that wgt. on the tongue, that's 226. So 816 "in the box" or at least on the axle. The Taco is a half-ton pup but I'd consider something to harden up the suspension such as Timbren donuts or air shocks.

jack

Yes definitely. The springs are a weak point on Tacomas. I have Hellwig 550 helpers on it now just for weight in the bed. They do help.
rjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Welcome. Some folks use 4 cyl Tacomas to tow 13' and sometimes even 16' eggs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #25

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I thought this was interesting. AutoExpress.co.uk I also like the comments posted below. Seems even though they can tow with cars over there, some people think like us in that we need a bigger vehicle to make a better tow rig.

Again, I will say this. What you can do and what you will enjoy doing probably won't be the same, as far as towing with a 4cyl Tacoma. And I am not recommending anyone exceed their tow ratings. You have to be comfortable with what ever you decide, so get educated and make your own choices.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
What you can do and what you will enjoy doing probably won't be the same, as far as towing with a 4cyl Tacoma. .

Jason
Very well put. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #27

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have been towing with a 4 cyl Tacoma for 7 years.
I find it enjoyable, especially when I buy fuel.

It does slow me down on long grades when I have my 760 pound ATV in the bed of my truck.

I don't need a fuel inefficient vehicle when my towing makes up less than 10 % of my annual driving.

A very satisfied 4 cyl.Toyota Tacoma owner,

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #28

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Just a question?

America is a very litigeous society.

Strictly from a survival/business point of view I would think a margin of saftey is built into reccommended tow or payload weights.

I doubt any manufacturer would open themselves up to law suits or equipment failure by advertising unsafe tow or load capacitys.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #29

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I looked at the Sportsman you mentioned and, with the weight of a quad and any stuff you will be pushing the TV's limit, never a good idea. In fact, with 500+ lbs in the back of that trailer, you might have the tail wagging the dog unless you put a lot more weight in front and get up to about 250 lbs tongue weight

We have had several smaller trailers, and feel that the bath/shower is over rated for a 13' coach. You have 25%+ of your free space used up for the loo that is used 5% of the time. We sold a 13' Scamp with bath and bought a 13' Bigfoot w/o bath for that very reason. But some find the trade off acceptable, but if you can try before you buy, by all means do so.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #30

Name: LaDonna
Trailer: burro trailer
Colorado
potty and shower

we have a 1983 Burro...for a shower we have the propane cannister powered Zodi shower...works great, takes up a tiny space ...we take showers in one of those portable tall tents used for changing rooms, showers , etc (available at Sportsman's warehouse, etc)...for a potty, we just use a Coleman port a potty that slides in under the back bed..we travel very simply
ladonna i. is offline   Reply With Quote