Towing a casita with a one ton truck. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #21

Trailer: *Poty
Verify the weight rating (tow and tongue weights) of your drawbar and proper ball size(2”) for a 1ton I would not would worry about a WDH but a sway bar is recommended. I pulled a 16’ Castiawith both a Grand Caravan and a 1/2 ton dodge using a too large of WDH (1000# rating which I had, could no longer find 350# rated spring bars).
BarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #22

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
[QUOTE=Beachcamper;855096]Obviously this is overkill but I also tow a large fifth wheel which we fulltime in. I am considering a Casita to have as a second RV to go to places like smaller parks where getting a site for anything over 30’ is difficult.

So I am wondering if I need a sway control device? What about a WDH? Currently have a receiver on my hitch that is good for 750lbs (it’s for my kayak trailer). I have never towed a pull behind trailer other than a boat or kayak trailer. Please excuse my ignorance but can’t find any advice on towing a small fiberglass trailer with a one ton truck.

Truck is a long bed SRW diesel and weighs 8225 with a GVWR of 11,300 lbs

Thanks in advance,

Vivian[/

For your vehicle, a weight distribution hitch would be big time. Overkill, cannot imagine a situation that you would need it. I tow with an F-150 half ton and don't use one either, so you're way good to go without that. The Kurt or other types of sway bar options are very simple to put on and honestly I think they're more insurance than anything for someone with a good size, vehicle or truck, I do have one on mine. I don't know that I've ever needed it, but that's kind of the point is I'd rather not know and it just do its job for such a simple installation and cheap price.
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcamper View Post
Obviously this is overkill but I also tow a large fifth wheel which we fulltime in. I am considering a Casita to have as a second RV to go to places like smaller parks where getting a site for anything over 30’ is difficult.

So I am wondering if I need a sway control device? What about a WDH? Currently have a receiver on my hitch that is good for 750lbs (it’s for my kayak trailer). I have never towed a pull behind trailer other than a boat or kayak trailer. Please excuse my ignorance but can’t find any advice on towing a small fiberglass trailer with a one ton truck.

Truck is a long bed SRW diesel and weighs 8225 with a GVWR of 11,300 lbs

Thanks in advance,

Vivian
Don't be one of those RVers that has to have the latest whiz bang aren't I special show offs, hook up your trailer and go, as long as you are smooth with the steering, and set the trailer brakes up properly, you will be fine.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:29 PM   #24

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp 13ft
Wisconsin
1 ton TV

I pull a 16ft deluxe Scamp...No special hitches...My truck is 7700 lbs...I dont worry much how the trailer is loaded...The occasional little bit of sway you might get from a semi you really don't feel it...
Hook up and go camping...
mleibelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:44 PM   #25

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0
New Hampshire
I had a Casita for four years. I had a sway bar but never needed it. Towed with an XC60 Volvo. The fellow I bought it from had a big pick up and never used the sway bar. Have fun. I moved up to an Escape 5.0
Dhamilgorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:54 AM   #26

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Similarly, I have never knowingly 'needed' an anti-sway device. If it's working you shouldn't be able to tell.
When that deer jumped out from the ditch on the side of the interstate, and I reactively made a muscle-memory lane change to get away from whatever that large object was that was on an impact trajectory, I was glad to have had an oscillation damping anti-sway device. Did I NEED it? I don't know.
But I wouldn't want to make that same evasive movement without just to compare.
Old 04-23-2023, 08:05 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Someone must be really old to consider a friction sway bar the “latest whiz-bang ”!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #28

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you can't tell the difference, its not worth the bother.

I have had this same discussion over tires for years.
To some folks , a good tire simply means the most miles, but to others that is only secondary to such things as traction and handling.
My trailer is properly set up before the addition of the friction sway and , like better tires, towing is better with this simple device.

I tend to agree that such things as compensated braking, vectoring, variable speed sensitive steering, etc can act to reduce driver skill,but I must admit that they have proven reliable. Besides all that stuff is standard nowadays so don't figure on buying new anytime soon.

BTW... You guys with SOB trucks still have to depend on gloves?
Or do you just wait for a Ford to come along and give you a push?

I agree.....good tires are important and driving conditions matter. The key to any of this.....be safe.....know your rigs......drive carefully....enjoy your travels. As for Fords...did you know that 85% of all Fords made in the last 10 years are still on the road? The other 15% made it home.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita