Towing a Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 12:02 AM   #1

Name: Gregory
Trailer: Scamp 13
AZ
Question Towing a Scamp 13

Hi, all just a question thats been on my mind for a while now, but first the details, I own a 2009 Chrysler 300 LX 2.7L and I own a 2009 Scamp 13. I have a a WDS with Sway Bar on the Chrysler plus is has a 9" rise on the hitch (my car was too low). Now I've been towing it for a while now (mainly the Cuyamaca Mountains-East of San Diego 2,000m peak) and everything seems fine so far, I was looking online and come to find out that my car has a towing capacity of only 1,000 lbs and my Scamp is about 1,300 lbs, now the question is will my car be ok or am I sitting on a time bomb?
And to add to this little story my wife drives a 2014 Kia Soul 1.6L with a 2,000 lbs tow capacity and I'm just wondering why such a small car with a much smaller engine has 1,000 lbs tow capacity over my car, and if you suggest why not take the Kia then, well the Chrysler is just sooo much more of a comfortable ride then the Kia will ever be, the space in the Chrysler I could probably fit the Kia in it.
Fuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Weigh your Scamp. It is probably closer to 2,000 lbs. when loaded. Definitely too heavy for towing with your Chrysler 300.

Why does the Kia Soul have a higher tow rating? Tow rating is based not only on horsepower and what the drivetrain can handle, but also on the strength of the suspension and the unibody or frame.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Unless your. 1300 pound figure is from a certified scale, I bet your Scamp is heavier than you think. And if you do run it across a certified scale, be sure to include tongue weight, not just the trailer axle weight.

9" rise on your hitch, WOW! You must have to be very careful crossing speed bumps, or going up an incline.

On trailer weights, most people rely on the "somebody told me" or "I read it somewhere" method. Neither is accurate. When I bought my 1977 Trillium, the seller told me it weighed 800 pounds. I knew better, so I didn't use his number for any decisions I made. Actual weight on a certified scale was about DOUBLE. Go figure.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Please double-check your owner’s manual regarding the Soul’s towing capacity. A quick google search turned up many different numbers, which on closer inspection were for other markets, like UK, EU, and AU. Never depend on the internet for vehicle specs. The only source that matters is your owner’s manual.

Regarding the Chrysler 300, there could be many reasons an apparently competent vehicle has little or no tow rating in NA. In the end, it doesn’t matter. They are what they are. In exceeding them you expose yourself to a number of risks, including a traffic citation, premature wear and mechanical failure, denial of warranty coverage, and civil liability in the event of an accident. I won’t say those things are likely, but they are possible.

I agree that a minimum 2000# rating is needed for most 13’ molded trailers, which typically have an unloaded weight of 1200-1600# depending on equipment and options, and end up anywhere from 1400-2200# fully loaded. That’s an admittedly wide range, and the only way to narrow it down is to weigh yours, fully loaded for camping.

I am familiar with the Cuyamaca Mountains, and there’s no way I would attempt towing with a Kia Soul, even if it had the larger 2.0L engine. Our first tow vehicle, an older 3.0L V6 Sienna, struggled to move our 13’ Scamp up the I-8 grade from Ocotillo to Boulder Rock against a headwind. And yes, it was rated for 2000# (pre-J2807 tow testing standards).

For a comfortable Chrysler with an ample tow rating and plenty of space and payload, consider a Pacifica or Town and Country with the 3.6L Pentastar. We ended up with a 3500# rated Pilot. Much better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Please check your owner’s manual regarding the Soul’s towing capacity. A quick google search turned up many different numbers, which on closer inspection were for other markets, like UK, EU, and AU. Never depend on the internet for vehicle specs. The only source that matters is your owner’s manual.

Regarding the Chrysler 300, there could be many reasons an apparently competent vehicle has little or no tow rating in NA. In the end, it doesn’t matter. They are what they are. In exceeding them you expose yourself to a number of risks, including a traffic citation, premature wear and mechanical failure, denial of warranty coverage, and civil liability in the event of an accident. I won’t say those things are likely, but they are possible.

I agree that a minimum 2000# rating is needed for most 13’ molded trailers, which typically have an unloaded weight of 1200-1600# depending on equipment and options, and end up anywhere from 1400-2200# fully loaded. That’s an admittedly wide range, and the only way to narrow it down is to weigh yours, fully loaded for camping.

I am familiar with the Cuyamaca Mountains, and there’s no way I would attempt towing with a Kia Soul, even if it had the larger 2.0L engine. Our first tow vehicle, an older V6 Sienna, struggled to move our 13’ Scamp up the I-8 grade from Ocotillo to Boulder Rock against a headwind. And yes, it was rated for 2000#.

For a comfortable Chrysler with an ample tow rating and plenty of space and payload, look to the Pacifica.

Take your vehicle to a dealership
They can run the vin # to determine the exact tow specs.... so many vehicles now have a lot of options this is a Safeway to determine what is actually installed on your car
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've seem folks who tow beyond capacity. They are easy to find. Some are in the ditch and some are parked on the roadside with a big fine and waiting for an appropriate tug to take their TT home.
I would prefer not to be either of these.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I've seem folks who tow beyond capacity. They are easy to find. Some are in the ditch and some are parked on the roadside with a big fine and waiting for an appropriate tug to take their TT home.
You forgot to mention those on the side of the road with their hood up watching the fluids drain from their vehicle.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #8

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
According to a Google search, a 2009 Chrysler 300 with a Hemi engine has a maximum towing capacity of 2,000 pounds, but when equipped with the 2.7 V6 the towing capacity drops to 1,000 pounds. The limiting factor would seem to be the 2.7 V6 rather than the car itself. I probably do not need to tell you that the 2.7 V6 in your Chrysler has a verrrrrrry baaaaaad reputation for water pump failure, cooling system problems, and lubrication shortcomings (see YouTube) leading to complete and frequent engine failures. Chrysler's reduced towing ratings may be an effort to prolong the 2.7 V6's short life expectancy by limiting its use.
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I would prefer not to be either of these.

Towing beyond rating is possible but often ill advised.
(Read J2807)

Towing beyond capacity is simply impossible by definition.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
LOL Alexander, you got that right!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #11

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuerte View Post
Hi, all just a question thats been on my mind for a while now, but first the details, I own a 2009 Chrysler 300 LX 2.7L and I own a 2009 Scamp 13. I have a a WDS with Sway Bar on the Chrysler plus is has a 9" rise on the hitch (my car was too low). Now I've been towing it for a while now (mainly the Cuyamaca Mountains-East of San Diego 2,000m peak) and everything seems fine so far, I was looking online and come to find out that my car has a towing capacity of only 1,000 lbs and my Scamp is about 1,300 lbs, now the question is will my car be ok or am I sitting on a time bomb?
And to add to this little story my wife drives a 2014 Kia Soul 1.6L with a 2,000 lbs tow capacity and I'm just wondering why such a small car with a much smaller engine has 1,000 lbs tow capacity over my car, and if you suggest why not take the Kia then, well the Chrysler is just sooo much more of a comfortable ride then the Kia will ever be, the space in the Chrysler I could probably fit the Kia in it.
I realize this question does not have to do with pulling. Does your Scamp have brakes?
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

Name: Gregory
Trailer: Scamp 13
AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
I realize this question does not have to do with pulling. Does your Scamp have brakes?
No my scamp does not have brakes
Fuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:27 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That’s another upgrade you should make sooner than later. Most modern passenger vehicles specify trailers over a certain weight, often 1000#, must have trailer brakes. Trucks may have a somewhat higher threshold. Some states also have a low threshold (CA is 1500#).

I believe you have a 2009 S13, and I think you’ll find the axle has the square mounting flanges, so it’s a fairly straightforward project. When connecting the wires to the 7-pin connector, that would be a good time to upgrade the rat’s nest in the front compartment to a proper wiring block.

You’ll also need to wire your tow vehicle for trailer brakes. That’s partly what led us to the Pilot, which is pre-wired for a brake controller.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuerte View Post
No my scamp does not have brakes
I like to say in the world of towing, STOPPING is more important than GOING. While you can "go" up that steep grade at a lower speed, coming down that same grade, stopping can be critical. With no trailer brakes, you are counting on the TV brakes to stop everything. And in an emergency braking situation, if the trailer is not in line with the TV (say you are in a gradual curve), no trailer brakes can mean the trailer will swing to one side or the other, and it can jackknife.

You may go years without this ever happening. When it does happen, you will remember it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp