Towing a tiny 5th wheel with a Nissan Frontier advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: Lynx Prowler 1988 5W 18ft
Nebraska
Towing a tiny 5th wheel with a Nissan Frontier advice

I have a
2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x (5 ft box)
And a 1988 Lynx Prowler 18ft 5th wheel (Currently converted to gooseneck) Dry weight 2680
So I seem to meet all the requirements to pull it as far as payload/towing capacity.
I’m getting lots of mixed reviews as far as installing a hitch; they don’t make specific rails for a Frontier but I’ve found “Universal Rails” online and some people talking about doing it on a Frontier in old posts as well as have seen a Frontier pulling a gooseneck scamp down the interstate. The only professional who has told me they could do it was a welding shop and they wanted to weld it in. I’ve heard this is now illegal. Although not strictly enforced. Is there anyone out there who has done this or might have some insight into the issue and or recommendations on a possible solution. Id also be open to converting it back to a 5th wheel and using a SideWinder pinbox to get the clearance for sharp turns.
Skrunqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 AM   #2

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
It looks like you found a good thread with people discussing this. My two cents is that I would get a universal rail kit installed and then you would be able to use a gooseneck fitting or a fifth wheel.

I like bolt on, but wouldn’t be adverse to a welded on universal kit if you trust the welders. My welder doesn’t paint, so I’d have to do all the painting after he welded it. Maybe yours is more full service.

Try to get the rails centered over the axle, may a bit to the rear. The problem you have is that the pin box on your trailer will hit the tailgate if you go too far back, but the trailer will hit the cab in turns if you are too far forward. I’m not familiar enough with your trailer to know which is more likely in your setup.

Park your truck under the tongue and swing a tape measure about for a good bit. Have a friend check your thinking.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The one parameter you don’t meet is frontal area. Check your owner’s manual, but I seem to recall Nissan assigns the Frontier a fairly low frontal area restriction for towing.

It seems to be pretty routinely ignored, and as long as you tow at lower speeds and avoid heavy headwinds, you might get away with it, but…

Compared to a Scamp 19 gooseneck, I’m thinking your Lynx is wider, less aerodynamic, and may have tighter clearances around the loft.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The one parameter you don’t meet is frontal area. Check your owner’s manual, but I seem to recall Nissan assigns the Frontier a fairly low frontal area restriction for towing.

It seems to be pretty routinely ignored, and as long as you tow at lower speeds and avoid heavy headwinds, you might get away with it, but…

Compared to a Scamp 19 gooseneck, I’m thinking your Lynx is wider, less aerodynamic, and may have tighter clearances around the loft.
If you follow Nissan's recommendation for frontal area, you are basically allowed the equivalent of the cross section of the truck. So technically, even a Scamp 19 is not allowed, but as you say wind drag is greatly affected by speed, and there is no allowance for CD. Hence, I ignore that criteria. I found the specification for frontal area in the Nissan towing guide, along with the admonition that no fifth wheel trailers are allowed.