Towing Accidents - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
The "dynamite pack" was one of things that was tested along with proof that ALL wheels had brakes, plus coupler was rated for a minimum of "X %" above trailer's certified gross weight, plus trailer-rated rims, plus trailer-rated tires, plus, plus, plus etc.
My Fiber Stream was manufactured with Brakes on the front axle only, although each axle (and the Brakes) is rated for the full GVWR of the trailer. My Compact Jr. does not have Brakes.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I must warn you that it is another redundant safety device and the use of all available ones may subject your trailer to a dangerous overload!
It is interesting though,I only wish they had shown exactly how it is attached....
]
LOL What is interesting about the video to me is it appears that they have attached their brake away switch to the trucks hitch assembly - our perhaps I just need to clean my glasses. Most of the install instructions that I have seen for a brake away switchs say you are not suppose to attach it to the hitch assembly, instead its to be attached to the frame of the vehicle towing. hummmmm
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #24

Registry
Here's a video for those who like to think that small fiberglass trailers & tow vechiles dont often have serious accidents. Hopefully no one was hurt - based on the amount of traffic on that highway they were lucky not to have been hit by someone else.

There is also a party on this list that purchased a pretty new fiberglass trailer from a salvage company a couple of years ago after it had been written off by the insurance company due to being seriously damaged as a result of a roll over or flop over. Havent looked but there may still be photos of what that looked like after the accident.

So people towing small fiberglass trailers do indeed have accidents. Maybe they dont happen to often or perhaps its simply that they dont make the press as often - but when they do happen it doesnt make them any less dangerous.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #25

Registry
for those towing with small vehicles small trailers.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Purpose

There were two purposes to this thread:

1. to show how we each can reduce the chances of having a serious accident,
2. to show that the bulk of trailer accidents seemed to be loose utility/construction trailers where the trailer came loose.

Of course there are travel trailer towing accidents, though travel trailer accidents do seem to be rare.

I suspect that the primary cause of travel trailer accidents is the lack of knowledge among beginners and even experienced towers. I think the sum of knowing the little things, of paying careful attention can make a big difference... definitely the installation of a break away switch on small trailers can make a difference on braked trailers.

My hope was that this thread might generate additional suggestions on how to reduce the chances of accident and to improve the safety of towing. Since loose trailers seemed to be the primary cuase of accidents.

Jim's (CPAHarley2008) response about the ball lock was what I was hoping for plus all the positive responses on break away switches and the surge brake solution (something I was totally unaware of).

What tips would you give to a newbie about towing safely?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I just wish our couplers were as nicely designed as European ones. Most of their trailers have cable or rod actuated brakes with PARKING brakes! Also, many of the couplers have a green "flag" that pops up to tell you that the coupler is locked to the ball. Most of our couplers are just cheap stamped metal waiting to rust apart.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here's a video for those who like to think that small fiberglass trailers & tow vechiles dont often have serious accidents. Hopefully no one was hurt - based on the amount of traffic on that highway they were lucky not to have been hit by someone else.

Carol, I honestly haven't seen anyone on this site even suggest that small fiberglass trailers don't have accidents...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #29

Registry
[QUOTE=John_M;307208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Carol, I honestly haven't seen anyone on this site even suggest that small fiberglass trailers don't have accidents...
John I didn't actually say that anyone had - but stick around you never know someone might ;-))

Isn't funny how two people can read the same thing and come away with a totally different idea as to what was written actually means. Time and time again when the topic of safe towing comes up here, someone will pointing out that more trailer accidents involve big tow vehicles or commercial trailers, which depending on how you choose to read it could be taken by some to mean that small tow vehicles don't have as high a chance of an accident as the big guys do so those towing with one need not worry about having an accident as much & can go ahead a push the envelope a little. Or if you are like me you could read it and take from it that the bigger number of accidents reported by big tow vehicles &/or commercial trailers is nothing more than the law of percentages - way more commercial trailers and big trucks towing vs little cars towing little travel trailers.

I agree Norm that threads promoting good towing practices are a good ones and I *really* do appreciate your effort. I actually thought you might enjoy having a safe towing tip video which is done with a bit of humor! The tips in the video are all good valid towing tips - regardless of the size of the vehicle they used to make the video.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Safe Towing Practices

Carol,

Thanks for the kind words on good towing practices. I have made a long list of topics that should be under good towing practices that I will post.

I hope people will focus on each topic and not try to load it with distracting side thoughts. My goal is to be as analytic as possible. I'm not sure if I should create an individual thread on each item or put them in a single thread.

Though travel trailer accidents seem relatively rare, certainly compared to the 100's of thousands of vehicle accidents and 10's of thousand fatal vechile accidents, there is no reason not to be as safe as practical.

In our 11 years of travel I have seen numerous cases of improper setups and I am no expert. The unfortunate reality is the information required for safe towing is scattered and difficult to accumulate.

I have company for a few days but after that I'll create a thread titled good towing practices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #31

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Something else to consider is a lock on your hitch. It is possible for someone to unlock your hitch in a parking lot and you may not notice it until it is too late. Lock it as a safety measure.
I also lock my hitch,not so much as a theft deterent,but just to make sure it doesn't come loose going over a curb(driveway) or a bump.I drove long haul truck for over 25 years,and safety is always my biggest concern.I stop every couple of hours and walk around,checking temps on the wheel bearings,and using it as an excuse to get rid of excess coffee...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Carol,

Thanks for the kind words on good towing practices. I have made a long list of topics that should be under good towing practices that I will post.

I hope people will focus on each topic and not try to load it with distracting side thoughts. My goal is to be as analytic as possible. I'm not sure if I should create an individual thread on each item or put them in a single thread.

Though travel trailer accidents seem relatively rare, certainly compared to the 100's of thousands of vehicle accidents and 10's of thousand fatal vechile accidents, there is no reason not to be as safe as practical.

In our 11 years of travel I have seen numerous cases of improper setups and I am no expert. The unfortunate reality is the information required for safe towing is scattered and difficult to accumulate.

I have company for a few days but after that I'll create a thread titled good towing practices.
While that would be a great idea, I'm concerned that it would soon degenerate into a typical Big Brother sez... "Do as yor told and nobody gets hurt" diatribe.
Even a small child learns very little from a parent who can only say... "Because I said, that's why!!"
"There ought to be a law"(snark,snark) that... "Good towing practices" should be discussed and encouraged because they enhance the enjoyment and safety of towing and not for the purpose of intimidation.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
"Good towing practices" should be discussed and encouraged because they enhance the enjoyment and safety of towing and not for the purpose of intimidation.
I wholeheartedly agree.

I suggest we each limit our posts to our own experience, as in "I did this" or "I saw (or read) that" and refrain from "YOU should do this, because I saw (or read) that."
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Even with the best intentions and what was thought to be good practices bad things can happen.
Breakaway switches come to mind. A while, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, there was couple on this very forum that didn't make sure the breakaway switch cable was positions so that it wouldn't cause a problem. It was hanging down beside the safety chains. The driver got onto the shoulder where there was some brush. Yup, the breakaway cable caught the brush and applied the brakes on the trailer. As I remember both the trailer and tow vehicle ended up upside down. After hearing about that one I did some internet searching and found this.
I now have one the coiled cables and it stays up out of the way stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
FA80-01-2160_1000.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post

I suggest we each limit our posts to our own experience, as in "I did this" or "I saw (or read) that" and refrain from "YOU should do this, because I saw (or read) that."

Ummmm..... Excuse me, sir, - but I seem to think that it was the "I did this" approach that got us into a back-alley catfight last time.

If I may have the liberty to speak freely, I'd suggest that an approach based on rules and regulations, safe practices based on recognized authorities (like Society of Automotive Engineers) might be a more productive approach, and might be more likely to result in civilized behavior on all parts.

Just my opinion, but......
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Even with the best intentions and what was thought to be good practices bad things can happen.
Breakaway switches come to mind. A while, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, there was couple on this very forum that didn't make sure the breakaway switch cable was positions so that it wouldn't cause a problem. It was hanging down beside the safety chains. The driver got onto the shoulder where there was some brush. Yup, the breakaway cable caught the brush and applied the brakes on the trailer. As I remember both the trailer and tow vehicle ended up upside down. After hearing about that one I did some internet searching and found this.

I love it! Gotta get one myself, since I snagged my break-away leash last week on returning from the NOG (applied brakes VERY hard!) a block from the house, and broke the "leash" at the same time!

Didn't know they has those! Am ordering one right now!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Those of us with 7" brakes on Fiberglass trailers don't have to worry about lock-up,I have yet to see a set which would do so above a couple of MPH!
I love the cable though, gotta get one!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I seem to think that it was the "I did this" approach that got us into a back-alley catfight last time.
Was it the "I did this" or was it the "YOU shouldn't be doing this" reaction to the "I did this" that caused the problem?
I think it was more the latter than the former.

I admit that I am evolving as a Moderator and I try to learn something from the mistakes I make here. It's tough to be the adult supervision when I'd really like to join in the fight...

for your suggestion. While the Engineers' perspective is a valid starting point, I would like to see other authorities quoted as well. Many of my stories are of my utter failures offered up as an example of what NOT to do.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #39

British Columbia
As a (non-current) private pilot, I became accustomed to doing a "walk-around" (pre-flight safety inspection) prior to every single flight. This is not a stroll around the aircraft while chatting with someone - it is an in-depth examination of every single functioning part. You start on the right-side and examine the flaps- their hinging mechanism, the actuators - then move to the ailerons and do the same - then examine the landing gear and that tire. You check oil and you check that all sparkplugs are tight and installed properly. You examine the prop for evidence of cracks, or nicks from which cracks can start.

Etc. etc.

You work your way around the aircraft checking EVERYTHING including the fuel for evidence of contaminants..

My point? It was explained to me when I was learning that, if something goes wrong in your car, you can just pull over to the side. "Pulling over to the side" in an airplane usually gets your name and picture in the paper.

Now we are seeing that - especially when towing - you cannot always just "pull over to the side" if something goes wrong, and your name and picture just may find their way into the paper.

A bit of "pre-flight inspection" - also known as a "walk around" can pay humongous dividends, does not take too long and can save lives.

Tires? Tire pressures? Hitch done up? Cross bar latched holding the drawbar to the tug's hitch? Locked? Coupler latched and locked? Safety chains done up? Elect connector inserted and latched? Breakaway cable installed? Trailer lights working? Brakes working? Lug nuts tight? Tug's oil and brake systems OK? Tug's coolant levels OK? Windshield washer fluids and wiper blades? Fan belt(s)? Power steering fluid? Evidence of leaks of any fluids? Now you can think about going.

Repeat at EVERY stop.

It's a habit I formed a LONG time ago. I do it with race cars I (sometimes) drive. I do it when towing. I admit that when I am not towing I get lazy and only do it once a week with my DD.

I have caught things BEFORE they had a chance to kill me (or someone else).
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #40

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Well, yes, Dave is of course correct. A checklist is a fine thing indeed. I made mine up, took them to office max and had them laminated for me. I keep it in the truck so that as I prepare to leave, I can grab the list and do my final walk-around. I arranged things on the list so that I can start at the driver door and do a counter clockwise walk around the whole rig and hit every item as I progress down the list.

I find these lists to be invaluable, especially if more than one person is helping getting things ready, such as when we are loading for a horse show. Bottom line is, when we get ready to pull out of the lane, I, as the driver am 100% responsible to make sure everything is right. Having the "help" of several teenage girls in the loading process is great, but I still need to be the one who "signs off" on it all when it's time to drop it into gear and stand on the loud pedal.
Closed Thread