Towing from bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 17 ft Bigfoot
Hello, I've just purchased a 1977 Triple E Surfside and very excited. I have to go and pick it up about 1.5 hours away. Currently I am towing my 1978 Bonaire Tent Trailer from the bumper of my truck a 2003 Chev S10 4.3L V6/Auto. The truck manual says my maximum trailer weight can be 5,600lbs, and my bumper states I can tow up to 3500lbs. At this time I'm not positive about the weight of the Triple E, however I do not think it is much more then my tent trailer.

I do know that I really should have properly mounted hitch, but I was wondering if anyone else out there travels with their trailer mounted on the bumber? Trust me I am aware of sharp corners..

Thank you, and looking forward to enjoying this forum more now that I am a new fiberglass trailer owner.

Leanne
LeanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Thank you, and looking forward to enjoying this forum more now that I am a new fiberglass trailer owner.

Leanne
Welcome!

I don't tow from my bumper, so I'm not the person to ask.

But my suggestion would be to get a trailer hitch installed.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I think with that amount of tow capacity, you should be fine. It would be hard to find an egg that weighs in at 3.5k. Unless it has every wizz bang known to man on it.

I am assuming it is a 13-15 length? Bigger may be another story.

A hitch is still the way to go tho, for that cornering deal. They don't cost all that much, and no doubt uhaul can help you out just fine.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp
I, too, have a 1977 Surfside 14 Triple E TM Trailer. Through the good information on this site I was able to ascertain the weights of my trailer.

GTW 1650 lbs
Tongue load: 200 lb min - 500 lb max

Hope this helps.
Raunie Aasland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I mounted a receiver hitch on our 2003 C10. I just don't trust bumper hitches.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I wouldn`t hesitate to tow off the bumper with your tow capacity to bring the trailer home....the trailer will ride high in the front.....I made a hitch that was bolted to my bumper on my GMC full size pickup and towed my 13' Boler...trailer weight is about 1450 lbs. loaded....it had a drop in it to match the trailer height and used it to go from one end of the country to the other....no sweat....I now put on a frame hitch to tow my 17', so now use that hitch for both trailers.....my bumper is rated higher than yours at 5000 lbs with max tongue at 500 lbs, but you should have no problems with your vehicle age,(no rust), and tow capacity as rated by the manufacturer....if you needed a weight distributing hitch then you would need a frame hitch.....that you`ll find out when you try it out....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If the bumper structure is suitable (and I'm not going comment on that, not having seen the truck...) then the remaining problem with the ball-on-bumper is the fixed (and likely too high) ball height. One way to address this is a receiver box which is bolted on to the bottom of the bumper. A ball platform of any desired height can then be used. I've seen the add-on receivers at WalMart recently, so I assume that they are still readily available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
A little off the topic but... when I was looking for a Trill, I knocked on the farm house door of a sweet old lady who told me that the Tril1300 wasnt for sale and - matter of fact- they were about to head out to PEI for an antique car rally. I peeked at the "tug" a mid 50's Vauxall straight 6 with a class ONE (bumper mounted metal tongue!)hitch on the back of this antique puddle jumper! Lady said they'd been all over Canada towing with the thing! Go figger...here's me worried about overloadin the Toyota van...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #9

Thanks all for the great suggestions and sharing of your knowledge. Especially the weight info.

I've just spent 3 hours searching for the flat 4 connector convertor to 7 pin. Found one! Lots of places were not open today.

This little 14' will be towed home buy my little S10 tomorrow it is only a 2 wheel drive so it may be low enough that the trailer does not ride high in the front as my tent trailer does not ride high. Guess it will depend on the tires. Today it is travelling about 6 hours to the city where I have to go pick it up.

Have a great day everyone!
Leanne
Old 05-14-2006, 05:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Thanks all for the great suggestions and sharing of your knowledge. Especially the weight info.

Today it is travelling about 6 hours to the city where I have to go pick it up.

Have a great day everyone!
Leanne
Take care! Have a safe trip!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #11

Quote:
One way to address this is a receiver box which is bolted on to the bottom of the bumper.
Thanks for the suggestion Brian, you reminded me I have a receiver box in my basement storage, from my old Explorer. So if the height is a problem I will look into the proper receiver box for my current truck.

Have a great day!
Leanne
Old 05-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have pulled my Casita to and from RV repair with my 2002 S-10 V6 pickup on two occasions with bumper mounted ball. Distance about 15 miles one way thru stop and go traffic. It pulled 3025 lb RV with no strain at all. Hitch connection seemed tight and substantial.

I wouldn't reccommend the S-10 for a long trip (primarily due to comfort), but short local camping trips (<100 miles) I wouldn't hesitate to use S-10 with bumper mounted ball.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
For several years I pulled a 13ft tandem axle cargo trailer delivering farm products to various supermarkets and restaurants in western Washington with a diesel Jimmy. It had the largest Reese receiver installed and I used an EZ lift weight distributing hitch with the bars set quite light. It worked great.

However, the same setup did not work great towing our 26 ft Avion. In fact it was bad enough that we only went once.

So I upgraded to a Pull-Rite. The Avion now towed great. I didn't notice much difference towing the Cargo, except that after a long day of delivering (4 am to 7 pm) I was noticeably less tired.

So my opinion is, you can get by with just about anything, but some insignificant seeming items can sure make life easier and/or more enjoyable and safer too.

I'm not partial to Pull-Rite, it was what was available at the time. I understand there are others available now; Hensley comes to mind.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
WELCOME LeanneH!

Whatever you decide to do, remember that it has to pass "transport Canada's Police Patrols" too. Last I heard, bumper hitches were no longer legal, but hay, as long as ya don't get caught.... (you "could" end up loosing your trailer..)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of my favorite sayings (just ask my daughter!)

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Probably can apply to bumper towing too.

As someone reminded me, receiver hitches are BOLTED to the frame, not welded. Measure your tug's inside frame and go to a wrecking yard. I know here in Portland, I can pick up a Class III receiver hitch for about $25, although I'd have to remove it from the wrecked vehicle.

Seems pretty easy to do and reasonably priced to me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hello, I've just purchased a 1977 Triple E Surfside and very excited. I have to go and pick it up about 1.5 hours away. Currently I am towing my 1978 Bonaire Tent Trailer from the bumper of my truck a 2003 Chev S10 4.3L V6/Auto. The truck manual says my maximum trailer weight can be 5,600lbs, and my bumper states I can tow up to 3500lbs. At this time I'm not positive about the weight of the Triple E, however I do not think it is much more then my tent trailer.
Based on this link;

http://www1.travelalberta.com/content/trav...InfoVehicle.cfm

I believe that bumper hitches are OK in Alberta.

With a well maintained bumper hitch, I don't see a problem getting your rig home using a bumper hitch.

BUT...

Most trailers will require a Bargman 7 pin plug to keep everything working, charging the battery, running the refrigerator. Most tent trailers only require a 4 pin connector. You can get an adapter to get the unit home, but need the seven pin for the other services.

AND

Very likely your unit will tow with the hitch high, and the trailer bumper low. Big bumps will take out your bumper. If your water works are at the back of the unit, then you risk taking them out as well.

In this towing position, there will be less than the desirable 10-15% weight on the hitch, which means the trailer may not track easily.

Finally, towing in this position makes the refirgerator work overtime on 12 volt, and maybe not work at all. I believe that of the three options, 12v, 120v, and propane, 12volt should only be used to maintain tempurature during travel. Either 120v or propane should be used to get to temperature.
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
As much as I could find regarding bumper hitches is that they are not legal in Nova Scotia only.......seems every where else in Canada is OK......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:

I do know that I really should have properly mounted hitch, but I was wondering if anyone else out there travels with their trailer mounted on the bumber? Trust me I am aware of sharp corners..

Leanne
Height is the bigger problem watch the rear doesn't scrap(trailer rear)
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
One of my favorite sayings (just ask my daughter!)

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Probably can apply to bumper towing too.

As someone reminded me, receiver hitches are BOLTED to the frame, not welded. Measure your tug's inside frame and go to a wrecking yard. I know here in Portland, I can pick up a Class III receiver hitch for about $25, although I'd have to remove it from the wrecked vehicle.

Seems pretty easy to do and reasonably priced to me.
Donna, ALL new hitches BOLT to the frame. There is a concern about welding to a frame and (up here at least) it is "sick bird" ....illegal!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote