Towing Package ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
koy

Name: Cory-Casita
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Towing Package ?

Hello everyone, I recently talk to my Toyota Dealer ship about towing capacity on my toyota Highlander. They said that if my car is equipped with a "towing package" it can tow more weight than the normal weight. Do anybody know what in the "towing package"(WDH, Brake Control,Transmission Cooler,...)Do anybody know what it is recommend in this towing package? Thank-you.
koy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by koy View Post
Hello everyone, I recently talk to my Toyota Dealer ship about towing capacity on my toyota Highlander. They said that if my car is equipped with a "towing package" it can tow more weight than the normal weight. Do anybody know what in the "towing package"(WDH, Brake Control,Transmission Cooler,...)Do anybody know what it is recommend in this towing package? Thank-you.
You should be able to reach out to toyota customer service with your vin number and they will let you know whether you have it or not. Usually on Toyota vehicles the tow package consists of some combination of upgraded radiator/cooling system, transmission cooler, upgraded alternator.

In the case of my nx200t for example, since the car already comes stock with a transmission cooler and upgraded alternator, the tow package only consisted of upgraded radiator and cooling fans.

I wish Toyota/Lexus would list this in a conspicuous place, but they do not and it requires a decent amount of sleuthing.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I ordered a vehicle with a tow package. It cost extra and came with heavier shocks, a transmission cooler, a higher rear axle ratio, an option called "tow mode" which caused the transmission to shift at a higher RPM and was wired for a standard electrical trailer hookup including the electric brake.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Each manufacturer (and model) have different items contained in their "tow package".

For example, my 2011 Toyota RAV4 had their tow package. It consisted of a stronger fan coupler, a larger alternator, and one other item that I can't remember. It did not include 4 or 7 pin wiring or connector, a hitch or hitch receiver, or brake controller.

My 2016 Tacoma "tow package" included a 7 pin connector & hitch receiver, but no brake controller as part of the "Off Road" option.

My 2018 Ford F 150 "tow package" included 7 pin connector & brake controller (The tow package & brake controller were both options). Ford offered 2-3 different towing packages for the F 150.

What it boils down to is you need to look at exactly what is offered be each manufacturer/model, and be prepared to have them or you add what is necessary to tow your trailer.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Folks.....

Jon has exactly the right of it. Example....my '17 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 AWD comes rated to tow 5000 lbs, and includes its own extra transmission cooler. That's fine, BUT to tow you must plan to add an electric brake control, a hitch reciever, wiring, and 7-pin connection. Still makes a great tow vehicle for the money, but on the Hyundai or any other potential tow vehicle one has to check out the specs - in writing (salesmen's assurances are nice but lack a guarantee) - to understand what they'll be getting.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
tow package

I have found that the phraseology is problematic. If it says "tow prep package" you will probably get very little to assist in towing. Many of the salespersons I have dealt with are essentially clueless about towing and any information they provide , other than their name , is practically useless. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I consider the Toyota tow prep package to include all those things that are best done during the build ( heavy duty alternator, larger radiator, transmission fluid cooler ). A tow package would include the rest of the stuff, like hitch receiver, brake controller and the like. Those items would depend on what you are towing. A boat trailer with surge brakes wouldn't need a brake controller or a WDH receiver.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Many manufacturer's towing packages include more than the obvious parts and pieces.
In the modern TV there is often special modules that tie into the vehicle's computers to augment the stability systems, braking, engine and cooling systems.
The VW are like this as the Fords as well.
My Town and Country is also equipped with a module that is for the towing package.
If you just add wiring for the trailer and brakes and hitch you don't really have the towing package.
Fords require the package be installed and programmed on the production line or the actual rated towing is much less.
I don't know all of the manufacturers that this applies to, but I am pretty sure that the Fords, GMs and VWs fall into this category.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 New F150 has three different tow packages right now. The highest level tow package on the F150 not only includes what many would expect, but also includes a much larger fuel tank!

And I haven't seen a year listed on your vehicle. There will be variation year to year within the same model.

Best bet is to talk to your dealer again, bring your vehicle, and they have them look up the VIN number for you and tell you exactly what it came with. There is an on line VIN number checker for Ford, so I looked up my F150 and printed it out. No idea if Toyota has anything similar on the web.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I consider the Toyota tow prep package to include all those things that are best done during the build ( heavy duty alternator, larger radiator, transmission fluid cooler ). A tow package would include the rest of the stuff, like hitch receiver, brake controller and the like. Those items would depend on what you are towing. A boat trailer with surge brakes wouldn't need a brake controller or a WDH receiver.
That would be nice.. but it is not so.

"Tow package" for my last two vehicles (both Toyota) were basically what you consider tow prep, and there was no Toyota manufactured option for a trailer lighting harness or brake controller. So, by your definition, no tow package available at all, and also no after-market ones approved. Both vehicles were however marketed with a tow rating.

Bottom line, assume nothing. Don't trust anyone at the dealership. Know what you need and verify it all is included or can be added.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Bottom line, assume nothing. Don't trust anyone at the dealership. Know what you need and verify it all is included or can be added.

Makes sense to me. But, it makes no sense to me to complain that the "tow prep package", which is defined by the manufacturer, is missing a 2 1/2" ball.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not forget the spare tire, very few manufacturers provide a full sized spare anymore, even my Ram 1500 did not have one. the temporary spare provided is not suitable for towing.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Norman View Post
Do not forget the spare tire, very few manufacturers provide a full sized spare anymore, even my Ram 1500 did not have one. the temporary spare provided is not suitable for towing.
Good point! I expect there may be some out there who've not considered this.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I know most owner's manuals and conventional wisdom say that a full-size spare is essential for towing, but I have often wondered.

One, with better tire technology, good maintenance, and TPMS, flats have become quite rare. I've been driving 40 years and haven't had one yet on the road. (Maybe I shouldn't say that... LOL!) Two, many road service plans can repair or even replace a tire on the spot. Three, in a pinch (and with a fairly small trailer), I wonder if you could even mount a temporary spare on the front axle and make your way slowly to a tire shop if 1 and 2 failed.

Certainly if you spend a lot of time in remote locations being self-sufficient is more important. We don't stray too far off the beaten path.

I did replace the temporary spare on my Pilot with a full-size tire and wheel because... well... I am basically a rule-follower. We towed 2 years without it, and I put off spending the money. In the end it cost me nothing because I was rear-ended and the spare had to be replaced. The full-size wheel and tire were actually cheaper than a donut, so the body shop was happy to oblige. But it is heavier and reduces clearance a bit. Every time I look at it hanging under there unused, I wonder.

Unlike my Pilot, on many smaller vehicles it won't fit in the same space (and some don't even have a temporary spare), so you're left with the problem of how to carry it.

Just playing devil's advocate...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have to agree with Jim about the spare tires on many vehicles .
I have the same vehicle as Jim and my dealer told me that the factory spare is not designed for towing . It is designed to get you to the closest tire shop
I was told to unhook the trailer , change out the bad tire , drive to a tire shop and after the repair go back and pickup the trailer .
I don’t understand why when you buy a vehicle with a tow package that the manufacturer of the vehicle is not required to supply a spare capable of towing .
A friend of mine just bought a new 2019 vehicle and it did not come with any spare , it came with a can of fix a flat .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I know most owner's manuals and conventional wisdom say that a full-size spare is essential for towing, but I have often wondered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I did replace the temporary spare on my Pilot with a full-size tire and wheel
Personally, I'd leave it at that. Really.

I've had a few tires go flat over the years. Most recently, it was on the Audi, which we had bought used. The RR tire spit out two plugs that had been installed by, (or more likely for), the previous owner. Even though I was not towing, driving 100+ miles on a 50-mile 50-mph limited service collapsible(!) spare on a 65 mph two-lane highway was no fun. It turned out there was no internal patch; my understanding is that repair plugs should not be installed without patches.

Additional to other criteria, I bought the Jeep specifically because it has a full-service spare. Having had the above and other experiences, I don't wonder about having a full-service spare.

As a footnote, I recently noticed that the maintenance schedule for our other vehicle includes "Check the tire repair fluid expiration date every year when performing the periodic maintenance. Replace the tire repair fluid bottle with new one before the expiration date."

On edit, we do have a limited-service (not collapsible) spare in the 2nd vehicle. I was pretty sure that I had checked for that when we made the purchase as I have learned that many cars are now sold with only a can of fixit goop, and I really feel that's not a suitable alternative...
"AAA says 28 percent of new 2017 models are sold without a spare as standard equipment, but in 2006, just five percent were without a spare. The list includes cars from more than two dozen auto brands from economy to luxury. Some pricier cars come with so-called run-flat tires."

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Personally, I'd leave it at that. Really.
Not to worry. That's the plan.

I'm more speculating about the next vehicle. There is a good chance it won't have a full-size spare or space to stow one. Lugging a spare in the cargo area is unappealing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have never seen a brake controller included in any tow package.
It is a simple matter to do your own upgrade and add the transmission cooler.
You will have to add your own 7 pin connector and receiver hitch etc.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Uplander, some of the new full sized trucks have the trailer brake controller integrated into the vehicle ABS and traction control. I've never had one, driving a 2002 now.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I have never seen a brake controller included in any tow package.
It is a simple matter to do your own upgrade and add the transmission cooler.
You will have to add your own 7 pin connector and receiver hitch etc.
Most pick up trucks have the controller built in, Ford, Ram to name a few.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote