Towing thought - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Originally Posted by Carol H
LOL thats the big difference between BC and Ontario - you have the Ontario Provincial Police we still have the RCMP.

[QUOTE=Brian B-P;368878]I haven't noticed a difference correlated to enforcement agency, other than the occasional ticket-funded municipality. On Alberta's major highways outside of the National Parks, which have both RCMP and a few Alberta Traffic Sherriffs on speed patrol duty, nothing less than 15 km/h (10 mph) over the 100 or 110 km/h (62 or 68 mph) limit gets a ticket; BC highways usually have lower limits, but seem to have a similar enforcement tolerance. [QUOTE=Brian B-P;368878]

Brian my comment re the RCMP vs Ontario Provincial was made tongue in cheek but 10 km/h over the limit is commonly the BC tolerance level.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I refer to 10 km/h over the speed limit as legal speeding. I have passed, unharmed, through many radar traps while legal speeding.
One of my coworkers recently got a 7 km/h over the speed limit ticket though. The officer in questions was probably was nearly out of time on his quota.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I refer to 10 km/h over the speed limit as legal speeding. I have passed, unharmed, through many radar traps while legal speeding.
One of my coworkers recently got a 7 km/h over the speed limit ticket though. The officer in questions was probably was nearly out of time on his quota.
Yup its a bit of a crap shoot but under 10 km/h over and you will normally slide by here as well but then again have seen folks pulled for less many times.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have a friend who was a traffic cop (still a cop, just moved on), and he said they always set their photo cameras for 13 kph over the speed limit, except in school and playground zones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot.

(Not aimed at anyone in particular, just at us all as humans.)
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now that is funny, true, but funny!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot.

(Not aimed at anyone in particular, just at us all as humans.)
I agree 100% lol

I guess for the retired folks who can just travel taking it slower is a good thing. Unfortunatly, when doing a 300+ mile trip each way for a 3 day weekend, my fun times really start when I get there after driving 5+ hours...just want that part over. Going home, I usually drive a little slower.

Now Ive only towed my ParkLiner twice so far. Once from Virginia to south Jersey, and from south Jersey to central Jersey to my parents driveway but During the Virginia trek I realized if I keep my speed to around 60mph I get about 16mpg, at 70 Im getting lik 13.5mpg. So 60 it is! Being cheap wins!

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #28

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Mileage and reliability are primary on our list of Trailer/tow vehicle.

Exactly why I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel that gets 20-21 mpg towing the Casita and doesn't know a trailer is even back there. Nothing comes close to being stressed on the tow vehicle and in an emergency it will run 75-80mph up or down a hill (legal here in West Texas).

Also out here in West Texas, 150miles barely gets you to the next turn off. We have to cover a lot of miles to go anywhere. We have gone 150 miles for lunch (Abilene or Van Horn). I can't wait for the day that I can drive less than 150 miles and actually be somplace! Little different needs down here..
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Arlon,

I know what you mean about Texas. We spent 30+ days crossing TX and easily followed our 150 mile rule. There is just so much to see in your grand state, both tiny and big places. There are plenty of times people powered by us and probably because we generally avoid cities and really saw little traffic(though we did go to Austin and San Antonio).

I am continually amazed by the variety of Texas terrain. We hope to be back next year and increase our TX exploration. Last year we attended the Casita rally at Johnson City and had a grand time.

We would like to own a (small) diesel as well, even with the premium price of deisel fuel. Unfortunately there's not much available in our size/price range but we're patient.

Safe travels and loving Texas.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #30

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Arlon,

I am continually amazed by the variety of Texas terrain. We hope to be back next year and increase our TX exploration.
There is a ton to do down here. My favorite time is spring when the snowbirds have headed back and kids aren't out of school yet. Space available in most parks as long as you get there before the weekend starts. There is a lot of variety here. I spent many years in SA and Houston. Recently moved to Midland and got to start exploring all over again. I make it out about once a month for a long weekend and haven't made a dent in the possibilities yet.

Hard to beat an old diesel. Unless you're trying to sneak up on something.. Hope you make it down and have safe travels. (-:}
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Regarding Honda's original thoughts, I believe it's simply in the nature of FG egg campers to do more with less. Our trailers are more durable and long-lived, not throwaways. They slip through the air like rounded river rocks, not battering through the breeze like boxes. They enclose us with nature's perfect form, sheltering, protective, cornerless, like a carpeted womb. There's Zen within there somewhere.

That elegant simplicity, that minimalist mastery, doesn't belong hitched up to a V-8 truck three times its weight. There's no harm in doing that, but with a big tug like that, why not go the next step into the world of 25-footers with slide-outs?

From the earliest Scamps and Bolers onwards, these have been advertised as suitable for the family car. They were meant as everyman's trailer, back when the only guys driving big pickups held journeyman's licenses. I think that's still their role, their highest and best purpose -- to offer a trailering choice for those who want to own an efficient vehicle. Especially when not towing, since almost every tow vehicle I read about here reports 16-18 mpg, including my own. Not much of a difference there, but when you unhitch, we have a 30 mpg car! Motorhome drivers have to tow one of those behind, as a dinghy, but we get to travel in our toad, avoiding two tons of truck chassis in the process.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Speed

I noticed that everyone behind me wants to go faster than me and everyone in front, wants to go slower. Why is that?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #33

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post

From the earliest Scamps and Bolers onwards, these have been advertised as suitable for the family car. They were meant as everyman's trailer, back when the only guys driving big pickups held journeyman's licenses. I think that's still their role, their highest and best purpose -- to offer a trailering choice for those who want to own an efficient vehicle. Especially when not towing, since almost every tow vehicle I read about here reports 16-18 mpg, including my own. Not much of a difference there, but when you unhitch, we have a 30 mpg car! Motorhome drivers have to tow one of those behind, as a dinghy, but we get to travel in our toad, avoiding two tons of truck chassis in the process.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...
Good luck with that...
There are just as many you-gotta-have-a-truck (or, weirdly, a minivan-?) folks here as in any other RV forum.

Those few of us that cling to the daily-driver-as-tug ideal can hardly keep our heads above water, most days.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #34

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
John, I'm sure there's a novel in there about travelling with a fiberglass egg. Yes, the more with less and Norm's slower pace seem to be so appropriate. We have no need to go at someone else's faster pace and we make sure we have enough time to take it easy.

The two-lane roads can be a challenge as far as finding a place to pull over out of the way sometimes, so the four-laners may seem better at times. But then two lanes can often be nearly empty and that's when it is the best for that slower pace. We have seen many empty roads and they beat the heck out of the highways as far as I am concerned.

[QUOTE=John McMillin;399742]Regarding Honda's original thoughts, I believe it's simply in the nature of FG egg campers to do more with less. Our trailers are more durable and long-lived, not throwaways. They slip through the air like rounded river rocks, not battering through the breeze like boxes. They enclose us with nature's perfect form, sheltering, protective, cornerless, like a carpeted womb. There's Zen within there somewhere.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #35

Florida
John,
Loved your thoughts, I certainly believe our 4 cylinder can handle towing our Scamp 16.

Though we only averaged 37 mph driving around NL on the highway we drove 60. In NL we were never holding up others, even though the TCH was mostly 1 lane they had plenty of passing lanes for the really fast drivers. RCMP is the rule in NL but they are really rare.

On our way through northern ME we drove even faster, little traffic and did a section at 65. Trailer handled just fine and Honda did its usual good job.

The back roads of NL have some long steep climbs between little fishing villages, again no problem.

We are ready to return to NL and only home for 2 days.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thumbs up

Well said, John
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #37

New Jersey
Registry
When I towed my little red gypsy caravan last year I kinda kept my mouth shut about my gas useage...I averaged about 13-14mpg at 65 because of its un-aerodynamic shape. Well the last 2 hot weekends I averaged just about 15mpg towing at around 60'ish with my ac running. Someone this weekend told me I should look into a F250 to tow it with since its less of a strain on the TV...I laughed at them and told them my trailer packed weighs around 2600lbs with full water tank and generator... I want a pickup truck for a few reasons but a midsized one would be fine for my needs...dont need an 8cyl full sized truck for a fiberglass trailer. Even the Escaps 5.0 I would love to have is meant for a 6cyl truck lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #38

Florida
Derek,
We spent about $1300 over 6+ weeks on gas, about $200 a week while averaging 22 mpg.

If we averaged 15 mpg it would have been an extra $100 a week, not prohibitive, but it might have mean less newfie fish and chips or even no cod tongues.

P.S. Air conditioning was not needed. Only turn it on occasionally for 'AC exercise'.

Safe travels and hope you get your 5.0

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #39

New Jersey
Registry
Hey Norm! Im all for saving on gas lol... its getting expensive! Ah the 5.0 is many years down the road for me... when retirement looms closer, I like the extra space it would provide, and of course some extra space in the truck for all my craft stuff if I was living on the road lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #40

Florida
Deryk,

Your comment reminds me of one unexpected result of our long term RVing.

Our pre-RVing interests have lessened and been replaced by a curiosity for new and different. Previous interests have diminished in significance. We're now more interested in geology, people, differences, on the road stimulation.

In a sense theres not a lot of extension.

Of course our Scamp has become our focus, it's our real home because we spend 70% of year in it. It's also interesting because that little space has become enough.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16