Towing Trillium 1300 with Subaru Forester - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Towing Trillium 1300 with Subaru Forester

Just returned from 17 day trek through the BC Rockies. We were packed pretty heavy, but the Forester towed well. Down to 3rd on a couple of very steep ascents, but otherwise no problem doing speed limits. I think it is a good combination. Glad I installed the electric trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Catherine
Trailer: researching buy options
California
Hi Doug!
Just curious, as the owner of a sweet, semi-vintage (1999) Subie, what year is your Forester? I understand that Subaru redesigned the Foresters at some point, not sure exactly when, to get better mileage, but at the expense of the towing power. I live in mountains myself, and know mine has plenty of oomph going up a steep grade, though I never have hitched her up to anything (yet).
I love the Subaru's AWD, though...it has really saved my "bacon" on more than one occasion on these treacherous, narrow roads and will probably do so again if the coming El Nino lives up to it's press!
Thanks! Cathy
Bananslug Sanctuary,
Howling Wilderness, CA.
Cronezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Towing Trillium 1300 with Subaru Forester

Hi Cathy
My Forester is a 2005 bottom model.
If the Forester has a weakness it is that 1st gear could be a bit lower. I have a very steep driveway and to get the Trillium out without impacting the clutch too badly, I have to engage the clutch fully quickly and then crawl up the driveway in first. My driveway was the most challenging piece of road of our entire holidays through the mountains.

Tags
trillium