Towing with 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Timothy
Trailer: In the market
California
Towing with 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 Door

Hi All,

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I am interested in a fiberglass RV, but curious what I can reasonably tow with it. I know Jeeps aren't the best towing vehicles, but it is listed at 3500 lbs of tow capacity and 350lb hitch rating.

What is actually doable with my setup? A Scamp 13'? A 16'?

Anyone with a JK 4 Door tow a fiberglass RV?
gibsonfirebird12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Welcome to the forum. You could probably choose most any trailer rated at 3,500 pounds GVWR or less.

However, the Casita 17's are notoriously tongue-heavy with tongue weights of over 400 pounds commonly reported. So, you might want to avoid those.

Take a look at the trailer weights in the real world spreadsheet linked on the forum.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Welcome to the forum. You could probably choose most any trailer rated at 3,500 pounds GVWR or less.

However, the Casita 17's are notoriously tongue-heavy with tongue weights of over 400 pounds commonly reported. So, you might want to avoid those.

Take a look at the trailer weights in the real world spreadsheet linked on the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the response!

Is this the correct thread?

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html

Or is there a newer spreadsheet somewhere?
Old 02-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post

I thought I had responded to your message, but my response isn't showing up for some reason so trying again. Hopefully won't result in a double post.

Thank you for the welcome!

Can you link me to the spreadsheet?
Old 02-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #5

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Beachcomber
BC
I have a 13' Beachcomber that's weighs around 2000 lbs loaded, not sure on the tounge weight. We have a completely stock 2018 Sahara Unlimited which tows it fine. I live in BC and have been through mountain passes and such. Struggles as much as you would expect a V6 to. Gas mileage goes out the window as well. I'm sure you know but the 3,500 lb number is with 3.73 gearing which is an option on some JK's. May want to run your VIN with Jeep to check your options if you haven't already.
ysreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysreeps View Post
I have a 13' Beachcomber that's weighs around 2000 lbs loaded, not sure on the tounge weight. We have a completely stock 2018 Sahara Unlimited which tows it fine. I live in BC and have been through mountain passes and such. Struggles as much as you would expect a V6 to. Gas mileage goes out the window as well. I'm sure you know but the 3,500 lb number is with 3.73 gearing which is an option on some JK's. May want to run your VIN with Jeep to check your options if you haven't already.
Thanks for the reply and checking on this. Yes, I have a Rubicon with max tow package. This definitely puts me at the 3500 lb max.

Do you think you could tow more than 2000 loaded or does that seem like as far as you can push it with your JKU?
Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp 16 Deluxe weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonfirebird12 View Post
My Scamp 16' Deluxe with many mods, loaded for the road weights 3.060 and may be the 2nd heaviest one in the group.
The picture below is of the same unit as built.
Attached Thumbnails
CAT SCALE 2017.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
My Scamp 16' Deluxe with many mods, loaded for the road weights 3.060 and may be the 2nd heaviest one in the group.
The picture below is of the same unit as built.
Really useful info. Do you know what your tongue weight is fully loaded at 3060?
Old 02-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
YEP

Quote:
Really useful info. Do you know what your tongue weight is fully loaded at 3060?
This was the weight with both fresh water tanks full and equipment stored under the rear bed because I thought that it was going to be hitch heavy. It was a little light, 10 - 15% of total on the hitch is the recommendation, but it towed well with the F150.
Attached Thumbnails
13CAT SCALE 2018.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
This was the weight with both fresh water tanks full and equipment stored under the rear bed because I thought that it was going to be hitch heavy. It was a little light, 10 - 15% of total on the hitch is the recommendation, but it towed well with the F150.
Wow. This isn’t bad at all. Seems to be within spec for my vehicle, staying at 87% of my tow capacity fully loaded, and 80% of my tongue weight so I have a bit of breathing room. Is that a fair assessment or do I need more breathing room than that?
Old 02-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
With a 3500# rating I'd go as large as a 16'er. Weights range from around 2300# to over 3100# depending on year, options, and loading. Around 2600-2800# is pretty typical for a 16' model with a wet bath and common options.

The real world trailer weight data can be downloaded here as an Excel file: http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx. You can filter by make and length, and if you scroll down there's a box that gives averages.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #12

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Beachcomber
BC
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and checking on this. Yes, I have a Rubicon with max tow package. This definitely puts me at the 3500 lb max.

Do you think you could tow more than 2000 loaded or does that seem like as far as you can push it with your JKU?
I feel I could go heavier as my little unit has brakes as well. Depends on the terrain for me. I live in a mountainous region. Your Rubicon is heavier than mine and sporting the 4.10's though. You should be good. Don't forget your wallet [emoji618][emoji618][emoji17].
ysreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:22 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
The Rubicon has 4.10 gears. This is the best ratio Jeep offers for towing. An excellent gear ratio for the Jeep Wrangler. It doesn't have a lot of power, and it needs to rev to produce it, so be ready to pull grades at 4,500 RPM or higher, where it hits its upper power band.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
New Jersey
Jeep Wrangler 4 door and towing

Yep. I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 4 door Unlimited Sahara. I tow a 2017 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe.

As others have mentioned, there is a lot of tongue weight from a Casita, especially with mine since I eventually mounted a Honda Generator on the front of the Casita. But, that is not a problem for my setup because I'm using a Weight Distribution Hitch. I would highly recommend that if you're going to tow a Casita with your Jeep. I would definitely not recommend towing the 17' Casitas without a WDH. The Andersen WDH that I use works great. I have towed that setup for thousands of miles with no swaying.

BTW, I love the Casita trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep and Casita.jpeg  
Cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for the welcome!

Can you link me to the spreadsheet?
Sorry to be slow replying. Jon (in AZ) has linked the spreadsheet above in Post #11. It's updated by and hosted on a website operated by Jon Vermilye, one of our forum members.

Personally, although I have downloaded the spreadsheet from the LakeshoreImages site several times in the past, I've left-clicked on the link this last week and have not been able to locate a download on my PC.

However, just now, I right-clicked and selected "Open link in new tab" and it opened a dialogue box to save the xlsx file to whatever folder I select.

As far as breathing room goes, everyone has different levels of comfort. We tow about 4,500 lbs of trailer with a 7,200-lb rated capacity tow vehicle.

When I have a spell of vertigo (BPV), towing at freeway speeds through the curves on I-90 crossing the Cascades and the Rockies seems just a bit more "exciting" than I'd like it to be.

Then, after going through the Epley maneuver to reduce the vertigo symptoms, I find that the vehicle's "towing capability" has mysteriously greatly improved!

It looks like you're starting to get some good feedback from folks who are familiar with your vehicle and have real-world experience to share.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #16

Name: Lorne
Trailer: Triple E- Surfside
AB
i have a 2012 toyota rav4 with 3.5 liter v6,and tow a prolite trailer that weighs about 2100lbs. first of all don't believe the empty trailer weight on the trailer, i weighed my trailer and the brochure said 1575lbs and it weighed 2100lbs. what i like about the toyota is it came with a trailer cooling package and upgraded alternator. It tows great with lots of reserve power. so be careful and do your due diligence and verify all weights, i don't believe salesman as they just want to sell the trailer and really don't care about matching tow vehicle with the trailer.
tabertooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabertooley View Post
i have a 2012 toyota rav4 with 3.5 liter v6, the toyota is it came with a trailer cooling package and upgraded alternator.

Take note that a Toyota RAV4 purchased in Canada may be equipped different from a vehicle purchased in the U.S.

My 2008 RAV4 had standard transmission fluid cooler, larger alternator etc. that were options in the U.S.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #18

Name: William
Trailer: 2020 Casita 17’ Spirit Deluxe
Texas
Quote:
Hi All,

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. I am interested in a fiberglass RV, but curious what I can reasonably tow with it. I know Jeeps aren't the best towing vehicles, but it is listed at 3500 lbs of tow capacity and 350lb hitch rating.

Anyone with a JK 4 Door tow a fiberglass RV?
I towed my 17’ Casita SD with a 2019 four door Wrangler using an Anderson WD hitch. Did fine on flat ground but you definitely knew it was back there. Never towed it in the mountains before upgrading to a Gladiator.
TexRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #19

Name: mitch
Trailer: Casita and Scamp
United States
I towed a scamp 13 foot for years with my tj Rubicon.
I bought a 2 door 2018 Rubicon and upgraded the brakes to the European standard(bigger rotors, dual piston calipers)
BTW, in Australia and Europe this is rated at 5000 lbs towing. And then I put in air bags to level
I towed my 17 foot Casita with that setup but never felt really comfortable so I bought a grand cherokee .
Now for laughs , the jeep gladiator, same drive train as the grand cherokee and the wrangler is rated for 7500 lbs, the grand cherokee is rated at 6200 lbs
mitchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #20

Name: @cozylivingmachine
Washington
We have a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL with the 4 cyl engine, and tow our 2021 Scamp 16' with no issues. Granted, we cruise along at 55mph max just because that's where we get the best fuel economy (20 mpg) and side winds don't affect us much at all. Going up hills, our little turbo kicks in and we can definitely maintain. We did purchase a WD hitch just for the added peace of mind.

I wouldn't go much larger than what we have the way it's set up today. We always travel with full water tanks (24 gal total), full propane tanks as much as possible, and we opted not to get the AC as we have never used one in 4 years of full timing and we added 20 pounds of solar up there since we had so much room.

If you look up @jeeplife_germany, on one of their posts they are towing an Airstream so I asked for some specifics and they replied:
"Wrangler JLU are standard rated to 5000lbs tow rating here in Germany. But there are third party options to homologate them to up to 7000LBS which I have done with mine.

However the tongue weight is always limited to 330LBS over here in Germany. We do have special Europan Airstream Models over here which are designed to meet these requirements in terms of weights and size.

This combo here tows perfect! 😍"

Maybe there's something in all of this you'll find helpful!
BernieMac13 is offline   Reply With Quote