Towing with 2017+ Tacoma - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 27
Towing with 2017+ Tacoma

Is anyone towing a Casita sized (~3000 lbs) trailer with a 2017 or later Toyota Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a newish Tacoma (they made significant changes in 2017). I like the size of the Tacoma in general but I'm really looking for the newer safety features including automatic emergency braking, trailer sway, etc... I've read some people saying the new transmission sucks for towing and hills but then others say it is fine. Often online reviews don't represent the typical user so I'd like to hear some first hand accounts.
__________________

swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,972
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhird View Post
Is anyone towing a Casita sized (~3000 lbs) trailer with a 2017 or later Toyota Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a newish Tacoma (they made significant changes in 2017). I like the size of the Tacoma in general but I'm really looking for the newer safety features including automatic emergency braking, trailer sway, etc... I've read some people saying the new transmission sucks for towing and hills but then others say it is fine. Often online reviews don't represent the typical user so I'd like to hear some first hand accounts.
I thought you might like to know that the latest front crash testing of pickups Tacoma was rated last.
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought you might like to know that the latest front crash testing of pickups Tacoma was rated last.
The article I read about the crash tests for trucks said the Tundra performed the worst. It said the Tacoma was "acceptable".
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Posts: 15
Tacoma Towing

I am towing a 16 foot scamp with a 2012 Tacoma, which has lower HP and tow capacity and it tows great. It is easy pull up steep grades and handles well. The gas mileage average is around 14 mph. This is traveling mostly in the Pacific NW which can be hilly. The Tacoma has a good durability and value record. The downside is that you will find that the resale for use is higher. The upside is the quality and reliability is top rated. For tow capacity, you will find the 6,500 rating to be more that sufficient to two a Casita.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Posts: 52
2017 Tacoma as TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhird View Post
Is anyone towing a Casita sized (~3000 lbs) trailer with a 2017 or later Toyota Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a newish Tacoma (they made significant changes in 2017). I like the size of the Tacoma in general but I'm really looking for the newer safety features including automatic emergency braking, trailer sway, etc... I've read some people saying the new transmission sucks for towing and hills but then others say it is fine. Often online reviews don't represent the typical user so I'd like to hear some first hand accounts.
Hi,
We have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 off road truck as our TV for our 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe and it does fine. Any questions just pm us.
Bob c
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought you might like to know that the latest front crash testing of pickups Tacoma was rated last.

Source?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Member
 
Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Posts: 39
Registry
Check this for Tacoma crash ratings: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/.../small-pickups


I tow my Ollie with a 2017 4 door with a 6 speed manual w/ factory tow package and love it. Average an honest 15 mpg at 65mph max.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,972
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
The article I read about the crash tests for trucks said the Tundra performed the worst. It said the Tacoma was "acceptable".
I think you're right. Tundra was worst. Three truck were rated as good I believe.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,972
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Source?
Here's one. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/21/...er-crash-test/ Google is our friend.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 6,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

It helps to have the source so that one can determine whether the OP is true or a misinterpretation. Without a source, misinformation is repeated over and over on the web.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,813
I read two articles from Edmonds last night concerning the 2018 & 2019 Nissan Titan. Though they ranked the Ford F-150 , Ram 1500 , and Chevy 1500 higher than the Nissan , surprisingly they ranked the Nissan well above the toyota and for multiple reasons
A lot of people liked the Titan with the Cummins diesel , except for the price .

No Glenn I can not find the articles but I did look for them !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks Monk for the information. The resale value of Tacoma is one of the good and bad things about it. The reliability of the pre 2017 models can't be beat; I'd imagine they post 2017 should be good but that hasn't been proven.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks Bob and Jackie. That is good information. I think all the 2107s have the trailer sway feature have you noticed any use, good or bad, with it?
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks skallywag I think 2017 was the last year for the manual transmission which is a bit disappointing.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 2,602
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhird View Post
Thanks Monk for the information. The resale value of Tacoma is one of the good and bad things about it. The reliability of the pre 2017 models can't be beat; I'd imagine they post 2017 should be good but that hasn't been proven.
Saw a Cummins Diesel Titan in person. Beautiful truck! The thing I didn't like was the payload. As I recall, the payload on the one I looked at was 1,300 pounds. On a four door truck, its pretty easy to use up a lot of that payload before you add tongue weight. If I was going to buy one, I would look at the door sticker before spending the money.

With better payload, the Titan would be my first choice for my next truck.
__________________
Check my Trillium Project Page: https://www.facebook.com/Bills-1977-...dmin_todo_tour
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Saw a Cummins Diesel Titan in person. Beautiful truck! The thing I didn't like was the payload. As I recall, the payload on the one I looked at was 1,300 pounds. On a four door truck, its pretty easy to use up a lot of that payload before you add tongue weight. If I was going to buy one, I would look at the door sticker before spending the money.

With better payload, the Titan would be my first choice for my next truck.
It would be really nice if Ford , Chevy and Ram put a decent size Cummins Diesel engine in their 1/2 ton trucks like Nissan
I donít do foreign trucks so if I want a diesel it means buying a 3/4 ton truck
so I will stick with the 1/2 ton gas engine trucks for now
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Radar1's Avatar
 
Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Posts: 969
Registry
If looking for safety, the only pickup that the Insurance Institute for Highway safety (IIHS) rated as a top safety pick was the Honda Ridgeline.

On the other hand, SUV's have several top safety picks, including the top rated Subaru Ascent which has a top safety pick "plus" rating. The list of standard safety equipment on the Ascent is impressive.

I'm still trying to decide if my next tow vehicle will be another pickup, or SUV. I have one of each right now. Both have their pros and cons.
Attached Thumbnails
IIHS Ridgeline.JPG   IIHS Ascent.JPG  

__________________
John-Dave and Marilyn
Sharpsburg, GA
04 Dodge Dakota V-8, 17 Dodge Durango V-6, 19 Ford Ranger 2.3 Ecoboost
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
If looking for safety, the only pickup that the Insurance Institute for Highway safety (IIHS) rated as a top safety pick was the Honda Ridgeline.

On the other hand, SUV's have several top safety picks, including the top rated Subaru Ascent which has a top safety pick "plus" rating. The list of standard safety equipment on the Ascent is impressive.

I'm still trying to decide if my next tow vehicle will be another pickup, or SUV. I have one of each right now. Both have their pros and cons.

I've been kicking around the Ridgeline. I kind of don't like the style as much but it is worth considering.



I've also been considering the new Ranger but I'd wait to see what people say about it especially with towing.


I don't trust Subaru anymore with their decade of head gasket issues that they stuck customers with. Followed by all the recent string of quality issues. It's not the reliable car it once was.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhird View Post
I've been kicking around the Ridgeline. I kind of don't like the style as much but it is worth considering.



I've also been considering the new Ranger but I'd wait to see what people say about it especially with towing.


I don't trust Subaru anymore with their decade of head gasket issues that they stuck customers with. Followed by all the recent string of quality issues. It's not the reliable car it once was.
When was the Subaru reliable , certainly not in the last 15 or so years
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,442
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I'm still trying to decide if my next tow vehicle will be another pickup, or SUV. I have one of each right now. Both have their pros and cons.
One consideration which sways the decision toward a pickup is the safety of transporting volatile liquids or other flammable or odorous materials, or wet and or dirty stuff, even firewood.
Of course that can be worked around to some degree.


Another consideration is that access to stored materials in the back of an SUV is much more difficult than a pickup, especially with the trailer attached.


I love the way my TC tows and the comfort it provides, but I don't like carrying firewood, propane tanks, or gasoline containers inside. I even had to buy canvas bags for wet tarps and the patio mat, etc.

Having spent a great deal of time and study to produce a perfect match for towing my Scamp I now suspect that my new pickup will usurp the position of towing duties in the future. At least it will be a trip by trip choice.
__________________

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scamp 19 Deluxe and 2017 Tacoma double cab I4 MrBig1 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 18 08-30-2017 11:13 AM
Casita 17' Deluxe and towing with Toyota Tacoma or Ford Ranger? JaneM. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 47 04-25-2011 12:52 PM
Scamp towing problems with Toyota Tacoma pickup Doris Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 21 11-07-2009 05:58 AM
'02 Tacoma towing Bigfoot B17CB DwayneR Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 06-22-2009 01:56 PM
Scamp towing problems with Toyota Tacoma pickup Doris Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×