Towing with 2017+ Tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Name: Stebe
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Towing with 2017+ Tacoma

Is anyone towing a Casita sized (~3000 lbs) trailer with a 2017 or later Toyota Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a newish Tacoma (they made significant changes in 2017). I like the size of the Tacoma in general but I'm really looking for the newer safety features including automatic emergency braking, trailer sway, etc... I've read some people saying the new transmission sucks for towing and hills but then others say it is fine. Often online reviews don't represent the typical user so I'd like to hear some first hand accounts.
swhird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhird View Post
Is anyone towing a Casita sized (~3000 lbs) trailer with a 2017 or later Toyota Tacoma? I am thinking about getting a newish Tacoma (they made significant changes in 2017). I like the size of the Tacoma in general but I'm really looking for the newer safety features including automatic emergency braking, trailer sway, etc... I've read some people saying the new transmission sucks for towing and hills but then others say it is fine. Often online reviews don't represent the typical user so I'd like to hear some first hand accounts.
I thought you might like to know that the latest front crash testing of pickups Tacoma was rated last.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I thought you might like to know that the latest front crash testing of pickups Tacoma was rated last.
The article I read about the crash tests for trucks said the Tundra performed the worst. It said the Tacoma was "acceptable".
bertherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Mick M
Washington
Tacoma Towing

I am towing a 16 foot scamp with a 2012 Tacoma, which has lower HP and tow capacity and it tows great. It is easy pull up steep grades and handles well. The gas mileage average is around 14 mph. This is traveling mostly in the Pacific NW which can be hilly. The Tacoma has a good durability and value record. The downside is that you will find that the resale for use is higher. The upside is the quality and reliability is top rated. For tow capacity, you will find the 6,500 rating to be more that sufficient to two a Casita.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
2017 Tacoma as TV

Quote:
Hi,
We have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 off road truck as our TV for our 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe and it does fine. Any questions just pm us.
Bob c
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

Source?
Old 03-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #7

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Check this for Tacoma crash ratings: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/.../small-pickups

I tow my Ollie with a 2017 4 door with a 6 speed manual w/ factory tow package and love it. Average an honest 15 mpg at 65mph max.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertherr View Post
The article I read about the crash tests for trucks said the Tundra performed the worst. It said the Tacoma was "acceptable".
I think you're right. Tundra was worst. Three truck were rated as good I believe.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Source?
Here's one. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/21/...er-crash-test/ Google is our friend.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

It helps to have the source so that one can determine whether the OP is true or a misinterpretation. Without a source, misinformation is repeated over and over on the web.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I read two articles from Edmonds last night concerning the 2018 & 2019 Nissan Titan. Though they ranked the Ford F-150 , Ram 1500 , and Chevy 1500 higher than the Nissan , surprisingly they ranked the Nissan well above the toyota and for multiple reasons
A lot of people liked the Titan with the Cummins diesel , except for the price .

No Glenn I can not find the articles but I did look for them !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #12

Colorado
Thanks Monk for the information. The resale value of Tacoma is one of the good and bad things about it. The reliability of the pre 2017 models can't be beat; I'd imagine they post 2017 should be good but that hasn't been proven.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Colorado
Thanks Bob and Jackie. That is good information. I think all the 2107s have the trailer sway feature have you noticed any use, good or bad, with it?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #14

Colorado
Thanks skallywag I think 2017 was the last year for the manual transmission which is a bit disappointing.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Monk for the information. The resale value of Tacoma is one of the good and bad things about it. The reliability of the pre 2017 models can't be beat; I'd imagine they post 2017 should be good but that hasn't been proven.
Saw a Cummins Diesel Titan in person. Beautiful truck! The thing I didn't like was the payload. As I recall, the payload on the one I looked at was 1,300 pounds. On a four door truck, its pretty easy to use up a lot of that payload before you add tongue weight. If I was going to buy one, I would look at the door sticker before spending the money.

With better payload, the Titan would be my first choice for my next truck.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #16

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Saw a Cummins Diesel Titan in person. Beautiful truck! The thing I didn't like was the payload. As I recall, the payload on the one I looked at was 1,300 pounds. On a four door truck, its pretty easy to use up a lot of that payload before you add tongue weight. If I was going to buy one, I would look at the door sticker before spending the money.

With better payload, the Titan would be my first choice for my next truck.
It would be really nice if Ford , Chevy and Ram put a decent size Cummins Diesel engine in their 1/2 ton trucks like Nissan
I don’t do foreign trucks so if I want a diesel it means buying a 3/4 ton truck
so I will stick with the 1/2 ton gas engine trucks for now
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
If looking for safety, the only pickup that the Insurance Institute for Highway safety (IIHS) rated as a top safety pick was the Honda Ridgeline.

On the other hand, SUV's have several top safety picks, including the top rated Subaru Ascent which has a top safety pick "plus" rating. The list of standard safety equipment on the Ascent is impressive.

I'm still trying to decide if my next tow vehicle will be another pickup, or SUV. I have one of each right now. Both have their pros and cons.
Attached Thumbnails
IIHS Ridgeline.JPG   IIHS Ascent.JPG  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
If looking for safety, the only pickup that the Insurance Institute for Highway safety (IIHS) rated as a top safety pick was the Honda Ridgeline.

On the other hand, SUV's have several top safety picks, including the top rated Subaru Ascent which has a top safety pick "plus" rating. The list of standard safety equipment on the Ascent is impressive.

I'm still trying to decide if my next tow vehicle will be another pickup, or SUV. I have one of each right now. Both have their pros and cons.

I've been kicking around the Ridgeline. I kind of don't like the style as much but it is worth considering.

I've also been considering the new Ranger but I'd wait to see what people say about it especially with towing.

I don't trust Subaru anymore with their decade of head gasket issues that they stuck customers with. Followed by all the recent string of quality issues. It's not the reliable car it once was.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I've been kicking around the Ridgeline. I kind of don't like the style as much but it is worth considering.

I've also been considering the new Ranger but I'd wait to see what people say about it especially with towing.

I don't trust Subaru anymore with their decade of head gasket issues that they stuck customers with. Followed by all the recent string of quality issues. It's not the reliable car it once was.
When was the Subaru reliable , certainly not in the last 15 or so years
Old 03-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
One consideration which sways the decision toward a pickup is the safety of transporting volatile liquids or other flammable or odorous materials, or wet and or dirty stuff, even firewood.
Of course that can be worked around to some degree.

Another consideration is that access to stored materials in the back of an SUV is much more difficult than a pickup, especially with the trailer attached.

I love the way my TC tows and the comfort it provides, but I don't like carrying firewood, propane tanks, or gasoline containers inside. I even had to buy canvas bags for wet tarps and the patio mat, etc.

Having spent a great deal of time and study to produce a perfect match for towing my Scamp I now suspect that my new pickup will usurp the position of towing duties in the future. At least it will be a trip by trip choice.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote