Towing with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Only 4th Generation so I guess you missed them too.
Not necessarily I mean I'm driving a 98 right now. Someday maybe I'll give in and work jobs that actually pay money, but until then I'll be buying vehicles at least 10 years old. I don't need a V8, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
All paper work and owners manual say that the V6 model I have has a tow rate of 5000 to 6400 pounds depending of load in the vehicle itself, so towing the Casita is no problem weight wise. As far as stability while towing, I know the 04 Chevy Blazer had no issues towing last year up to speeds of 60 MPH on the NY through-way, with no distribution hitch installed.
In my thinking the heavier GVW of the Toyota will only be a plus in this towing issue. Tongue WT will be an important factor to handle any Trailer Wag but last years trip went as smooth as butter.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #23

Montana
I know you've seen it said before, but with all our vehicles, towing limit is rarely the limiting factor. It's payload limit. I'm sure you've checked that already but that's what's going to limit you, if anything.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #24

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Not necessarily I mean I'm driving a 98 right now. Someday maybe I'll give in and work jobs that actually pay money, but until then I'll be buying vehicles at least 10 years old. I don't need a V8, though.
Me too!
I would rather not drive a computer on wheels,mine are all 10 years old or so.
But I NEED the V8 too!

I got rid of my 4runner because I could not get comfortable in it at all.
The Land Cruiser I replaced it with is much better that way but both have the V8!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
All paper work and owners manual say that the V6 model I have has a tow rate of 5000 to 6400 pounds depending of load in the vehicle itself, so towing the Casita is no problem weight wise. As far as stability while towing, I know the 04 Chevy Blazer had no issues towing last year up to speeds of 60 MPH on the NY through-way, with no distribution hitch installed.
In my thinking the heavier GVW of the Toyota will only be a plus in this towing issue. Tongue WT will be an important factor to handle any Trailer Wag but last years trip went as smooth as butter.
I am betting you will know pretty quickly if you are OK with it the way it is or would prefer more hardware to help control things.

I certainly do not need the WDH hardware on my Casita/Truck combination but the WDH came with the trailer so I tried it and it makes a huge enough difference even in my setup that I can not imagine a good reason not to use it?

Just remember that the 4runner is a pretty short wheelbase truck and take it easy and you should be fine I think.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:46 PM   #26

the wheel base isn't any shorter then the Blazer but then again I have never towed out west, where we plan to go next summer.
The winds or the long grades up and down will be a new experience to me and we'll take it as it comes. I have been over the Mountains in Vermont with as much as 13% grades and I was a nervous wreck when coming down not having any breaks on the trailer at that time.
The old Blazer came through, with squacking breaks for a few miles after leveling out and giving them time to cool down. All was good.
The break controller will be a big plus with this trip.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
As of yet, I haven't had a chance even to hitch up the Casita and tow anything as early snow here in the Western Mt's of Maine has both the Casita and Boler in their winter sleeping place down back.
I do have 4th gen. model and will have to take a look under the back to see just how the hitch is bolted to the frame.
As far as torque, some have written it has plenty and some say not. Guess I'll find out next spring when we do get out on the road.

I am having a bit of trouble finding a good spot to mount the break controller.
I did locate the vehicle plug and that's no problem as wire is long enough to reach anywhere but a spot that will be level enough for the controller to work is the issue.
Where have others placed their controller on their 4Runners???
On my 2008 GX470 I mounted the Prodigy onto the ashtray door. It's a convenient location easy to reach and easy to see. Since I was making 2 screw holes, I figured if I ever sold the thing it might not be too hard to buy another ashtray to restore the appearance. (But frankly I doubt we'll ever get rid of this truck within the next decade, and who gets excited about the looks on a 20+ year old truck?)

BTW, my hitch is stamped with a 900 lb (or 950, I forget which) hitch weight rating when WD is used. Pretty amazing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
On my 2008 GX470 I mounted the Prodigy onto the ashtray door. It's a convenient location easy to reach and easy to see. Since I was making 2 screw holes, I figured if I ever sold the thing it might not be too hard to buy another ashtray to restore the appearance. (But frankly I doubt we'll ever get rid of this truck within the next decade, and who gets excited about the looks on a 20+ year old truck?)

BTW, my hitch is stamped with a 900 lb (or 950, I forget which) hitch weight rating when WD is used. Pretty amazing.
But yours also does have the V8 and also the AHC suspension right?
This 4runner has neither,just sayin.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The hitch may be stamped 900 lb. but that may not be the max tongue weight.
From what I could find online, I think it's more like 600 lbs.
This is what my hitch says, but you have to read the top line.
Attached Thumbnails
WDHitch capacity.jpg  
Old 12-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
But yours also does have the V8 and also the AHC suspension right?
This 4runner has neither,just sayin.
Yes it has both, however I got the impression that the stamping on the hitch receiver is indicative of the receiver's strength rather than the engine or suspension. Actual tow capacity is more like 6200 or 6500 lbs, I forget which, but the hitch weight rating on the receiver is about 15% instead of the more typical 10%. Of course, what the 4Runner's receiver says on it may be entirely different, I have no idea.
(edit) : It's an OEM receiver that came on the Lexus from the factory. And I think the manual supports the same numbers as those stamped on top of the receiver.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #31

Now you guys are going to get me crawling around in the snow and ice just to find this hitch tag on vehicle...LOL
Thanks but no thanks.

"OH BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE".

Still looking for a spot to mount the break controller. The whole dash is too steep to get it into the less then 70* angle. I will just have to make some sort of bracket and put it somewhere my knees wont hit it.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Now you guys are going to get me crawling around in the snow and ice just to find this hitch tag on vehicle...LOL
Thanks but no thanks.

"OH BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE".

Still looking for a spot to mount the break controller. The whole dash is too steep to get it into the less then 70* angle. I will just have to make some sort of bracket and put it somewhere my knees wont hit it.
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-co...a-4Runner.aspx

Trailer brake control: Where to put it? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I am guessing that your truck also has the strange flip down door thing in front of the shifter tunnel?
I could never figure out what this would even hold and it is simple o just remove and this is where I planned to mount my brake control.
Obviously find out what or if anything is behind there before drilling or cutting anything but I was going to recess mine in there so as to not lose any more leg room from the more tradional mounting spots.

YMMV clearly as well.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #33

Yea Ed, This is a strange little compartment... Wonder if will just snap out, will have to check this ouit for sure.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Yea Ed, This is a strange little compartment... Wonder if will just snap out, will have to check this ouit for sure.
It snaps right out.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I have a 2008 4Runner V6 as my tow vehicle. I had a 2008 Casita Freedom Deluxe and now use it to tow a 2014 Escape 19'. It is a great tow vehicle, tow rating on the V6 is 5000 lbs and the V8 version is 7300 lbs. The Casita and the Escape are well within the safe capacity of the V6 version.
Attached Thumbnails
141a.jpg  
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #36

All you Eggers are giving some great advise.
Your all invited to my Spring Fling Rally in New England next May 16th in Chocorua NH.
We'll be heading on our wild journey a few weeks after the Rally and will start a journal of our trip.
Thanks again for all the ideas and advise you all gave on my choice of TV.
I am sure it will perform as I expected.
Gerry
Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #37

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Casita
OR
Registry
4Runner

This last Tuesday I christened my newly acquired 2015 17' Spirit Deluxe by towing her back from Portland Oregon to my home here in Prineville Oregon.

My tow vehicle was a 2015 4Runner that doesn't have a brake controller and I didn't possess a friction sway bar for the journey.

To make matters worse, it was snowing pretty good on Mount Hood but I was committed to the journey so ventured off even making the rookie mistake of forgetting to retract the Casita step!

The journey was uneventful, I cruised happily at 60 on the straights and closer to 40 on the steep climb and descents putting the automatic into manual mode thus letting the engine do most of the breaking.

Very pleased with how the 4Runner performed though I did notice the fuel consumption took a big leap!

Cheers Nigel
Bowlieweekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 AM   #38

Quote:
The strange little door did snap right out but the plastic wall behind it worried me. I tried to get my inspection mirror behind it to see if wires or what ever was behind, but couldn't get it in there good enough to see anything.
I think on the right side of steering column will work.
I extended the mounting bracket so back of controller will not hit dash before getting to the 70* and it is far enough above knee when driving.
Thanks

As far as Sway or WD bars, last year we took a trip to Finger Lakes area, towing with my V6 Chevy Blazer with neither Sway, WD bars or Trailer Breaks.
Going on the highway at 60 posed no problem with any movement of trailer but I did wish for breaks going over the mountains in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #39

Montana
The time you'll wish you had brakes is when you have slam on them to avoid hitting something. Otherwise, if you don't drive mountain passes, you can probably get away with not having them. I've definitely come down steep passes and realized if my trailer brakes gave out, it was going to be a scary ride. I've also had to slam on the brakes in town when someone decided to skid to a stop for a yellow light instead of moving through it. Without trailer brakes I would definitely have rear-ended them.

I know you're planning on getting a brake in there so no big deal. But for anyone even with a full size truck, anything bigger than a 13' camper without brakes is asking for trouble...
Old 12-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #40

Yea Zach, coming down a 13* grade with switch backs in Vermont, was no place to be with no trailer breaks.