Towing with a full size - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #81

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
We've solved the mystery of "real trucks"! It's a real truck if a cowgirl is driving it. Whether or not it's "full size" is still unknown...

Attachment 136489

Attachment 136490

Just because 'cowgirls drive real trucks' doesn't always mean 'all real trucks are driven by cowgirls.'

Teasing of course.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #82

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You are right though. By I like choosing to believe that this, at least, is one way we can be sure something is a real truck: it is a real truck if it's a cowgirl behind the wheel. You don't need to go checking for three pedals, metal dashboards, solid front axles. The cowgirl trumps them all.

Of course the "bumper" sticker was intended to mean cowgirls don't drive silly little vehicles, rather than the way I'm interpreting it.

Sort of like the stickers I see saying "silly boys, trucks are for girls".
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #83

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Now we have.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
We've solved the mystery of "real trucks"!
Attachment 136489

Attachment 136490
Real trucks.....
Attached Thumbnails
SPARK.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #84

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It seems that the best tow vehicles often make lousy commuter vehicles and the best commuter vehicles often make lousy tow vehicles
We have a full size truck for towing our Escape 21 and a small SUV for running errands .
If one has to try and make it work with a dual purpose vehicle , then compromises have to be made
When we purchased our truck , we planned on towing and equipped the vehicle accordingly . Trying to modify a vehicle to make it do something it was not designed to do escapes me
Truth here. A vehicle bought for towing purposes is likely a poor commuter. And a vehicle bought for commuting is typically a lousy tow vehicle.

And if you bought your vehicle prior to even considering towing capabilities, don't be surprised if it is quite limiting when you decide you want a trailer.

Now those of us that don't live in a large metro area, our tow vehicles can make decent all around vehicles. My F150 is fine in my town of 10,000 people.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #85

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Truth here.
Now those of us that don't live in a large metro area, our tow vehicles can make decent all around vehicles. My F150 is fine in my town of 10,000 people.
My Ram 1500 is fine for our town of 600 people but an F150 would certainly work equally as well .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #86

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I live in Navarre, FL. a town of 45,000 and I make do with a great tow vehicle and around town car, a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive with a tow rating of 7700 lbs and it will probably out tow many pickup trucks and no spark plugs either!
Good at towing and driving around town.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #87

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Didn't we already go over the spark plug thing?

Considering that my truck (98 Tacoma) wasn't meant for towing something as big as my trailer, it does really well. Also does really well around my town of 5,000, but also around much bigger towns. But it did take some of those modifications Steve mentions.

Although I have to admit, while ideally I'd have a bigger truck, after 5 years of towing with this setup, I've had no issues. Under powered, sure. But for a 20 year old truck that only started towing after it had 200,000 miles (now has 279,000), with still original clutch, engine, transmission...it does fine towing in town, fine towing in the mountains, stops when I've needed to slam the brakes. Seems to be a perfectly adequate tow vehicle.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote