towing with a midsize pickup - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
There's a difference between "being able to tow" and "towing easily".

I've towed with Rangers for 30 plus years. Utility/ATV trailers, no problem. Travel trailers can be towed but difficulty increases with weight.
My GMC 1/2 tonne does much better but my 3/4 diesel performs the best. And the fuel consumption for all three, when towing, is about the same.
I towed with two different 4.0L 6CYL Rangers for over 27 years combined with no difficulty, and great pleasure.
The 2001 had a 6000 pound tow rating.

My 2019 is 2.3L 4CYL and is tow rated at 7500 pounds...
Rangers have always been great for towing most Fiberglass RVs.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I towed with two different 4.0L 6CYL Rangers for over 27 years combined with no difficulty, and great pleasure.
The 2001 had a 6000 pound tow rating.

My 2019 is 2.3L 4CYL and is tow rated at 7500 pounds...
Rangers have always been great for towing most Fiberglass RVs.
Floyd ; that’s because you drove & owned Ford trucks
I owned a Dodge Ram with a 6 cylinder engine and it towed with difficulty and was not a pleasure to drive . The same can be said about the 6 cylinder Chevy truck I owned .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
towing with a midsize pickup

I suspect it has as much to do with expectations of the drivers as with capabilities of the vehicles.

Tow ratings, at least those based on the new J2807 testing standards, mean any adequately rated vehicle will meet a reasonable minimum performance level without breaking anything.

Beyond that, the sky’s the limit as far as performance expectations go. And cost.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #24

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcottom View Post
Thanks Cliff. Upgrading my current truck is definitely an option. And I'm looking at all of the options.
Forgot to add that I have gotten as good as 23 mpg when not towing. What ever you decide on make sure you do your homework. Make sure your specific vehicle has an adequate tow rating and just as important the payload. The axle ratio is almost as important as the motor. If you hear good or bad about a particular vehicle you need to get the specs on that vehicle to make an informed decision. You can get an F150 with a tow rating of from 5000 to 12200lbs depending on the configuration. Not every F150 would do the job for me, the 1 I have works great.
🤔 One other thing I found when shopping, don’t believe everything the salesman tells you, some don’t know what they are talking about others flat out BS you to make a sale.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Over simplification but the fancier the F150 the lower the payload. The trucks start with similar payload but every option, wiz bang or whatever comes out of payload. They also have multiple tow packages. And heavy duty payload is a separate package too.

I think it’s a strategy by Ford to make it more complicated and confusing! The sticker in the door jamb tells most of the story but the any dealer installed option comes out of the payload too.

The payload rating is for when the truck left the factory.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #26

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Over simplification but the fancier the F150 the lower the payload. The trucks start with similar payload but every option, wiz bang or whatever comes out of payload. They also have multiple tow packages. And heavy duty payload is a separate package too.

I think it’s a strategy by Ford to make it more complicated and confusing! The sticker in the door jamb tells most of the story but the any dealer installed option comes out of the payload too.

The payload rating is for when the truck left the factory.
How is Ford any different from the other manufacturers? They all offer loads of options and configurations to satisfy any customer and it’s up to the customer to know what he needs. It doesn’t make any difference who’s logo is on the tailgate the trucks configuration will effect payload and tow rating. When shopping for my truck I found the on line information provided by Ford to be easy to understand and incredibly helpful. The salesman I dealt with should have spent some time studying it. If you don’t educate yourself when making a big purchase who’s to blame if what you get ain’t what you want?
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #27

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
How is Ford any different from the other manufacturers? They all offer loads of options and configurations to satisfy any customer and it’s up to the customer to know what he needs. It doesn’t make any difference who’s logo is on the tailgate the trucks configuration will effect payload and tow rating. When shopping for my truck I found the on line information provided by Ford to be easy to understand and incredibly helpful. The salesman I dealt with should have spent some time studying it. If you don’t educate yourself when making a big purchase who’s to blame if what you get ain’t what you want?
The F-150 Limited trim in particular takes a hit to payload which is specifically called out in Ford's literature. This is non-inclusive of any options or add-ons. It is the only non-offroad example I've found among the American manufacturers and FCA that has a reduced rating out the gate. But I wouldn't say that's simply getting "fancier." It's getting "fanciest."

The Raptor has its own section separate from the general towing and payload sections because it's so low. The Colorado ZR2 sits 2,000 lbs lower than its sibling trims. These are both offroad trims.

Full size trucks are the Wild West of vehicle marketing. So many "best/first/only in class" claims because there are so many classes that all fall under the same product line. Every manufacturer is guilty of a brochure with technical details that are basically written in code, and the trailering guides I've found aren't much better. But with some patience and research, they start to make sense.

I guess I'll find out when I go to buy a truck in a few years if knowing what characteristics and options I need actually matters. Can Joe Salesman search his used stock for a F-150 XL SuperCrew 3.5L EcoBoost with an axle ratio of 3.55, heavy duty payload package, and a standard bed...in Velocity Blue? And even if he can, will he? Or will he just shrug and show me trucks starting with the highest margin, forcing me to check the door jamb of each and every used truck on the lot? Oooh I can't wait!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post

I bought the best available that I could tolerate, "satisfy any customer" is a bit of a strong statement.

The idea is to satisfy the middle 50% of buyers and convince the rest to buy anyway!
Close is only good in horseshoes, hand grenades and (I guess) in truck buying.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #29

NW Wisconsin
Quote:

I bought the best available that I could tolerate, "satisfy any customer" is a bit of a strong statement.

The idea is to satisfy the middle 50% of buyers and convince the rest to buy anyway!
Close is only good in horseshoes, hand grenades and (I guess) in truck buying.
What a glowing and enthusiastic endorsement for Ford’s Ranger pickup truck
“IT’S TOLERABLE and AVAILABLE”
I know of two other brands of trucks where that remark may be truly appropriate and deserved !!
I for one actually like my full size truck , I do not simply tolerate it and have no ambition or desire to buy a shrunken version of what I have at a higher cost / price .

I am happily stuck in the middle without you , to paraphrase the song
Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #30

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I guess I'll find out when I go to buy a truck in a few years if knowing what characteristics and options I need actually matters. Can Joe Salesman search his used stock for a F-150 XL SuperCrew 3.5L EcoBoost with an axle ratio of 3.55, heavy duty payload package, and a standard bed...in Velocity Blue? And even if he can, will he? Or will he just shrug and show me trucks starting with the highest margin, forcing me to check the door jamb of each and every used truck on the lot? Oooh I can't wait!
🤔 if you are going to be that specific, down to the color I suggest you see your dealer and special order brandy new. And if you’re looking tow to pull a 12000lb trailer, the Raptors not it. If you want the fastest hot rod, most comfortable ride, biggest payload, longest bed, shortest turning radius to tow your 12k trailer while getting phenomenal gas mileage. Sorry it doesn’t exist under any brand name.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 AM   #31

Name: Jamie
Trailer: Keystone
Ohio
Thanks guys! This is great feedback on my post and I really appreciate it. I will definitely do my homework before making a purchase.
jtcottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What a glowing and enthusiastic endorsement for Ford’s Ranger pickup truck
“IT’S TOLERABLE and AVAILABLE”
I know of two other brands of trucks where that remark may be truly appropriate and deserved !!
I for one actually like my full size truck , I do not simply tolerate it and have no ambition or desire to buy a shrunken version of what I have at a higher cost / price .

I am happily stuck in the middle without you , to paraphrase the song
Au contrare... 'Tis I who is in the so called middle.
And at a cost which I am fully confident was less/lower than yours.
I have no ambition or desire to buy a bloated version of what I have at a higher cost/price.

The "glow and enthusiasm" was in the statement... "I bought the best available"
I have never owned a vehicle which was totally satisfactory.
Every vehicle requires a series of compromises,and ultimately modifications, in order to be tolerable.

The Ranger is the best available, but it does have a couple of issues which I will not likely change..
Too much ground clearance for easy access and egress, and too long of a wheelbase for easy everyday maneuvering and parking. These are things which I will choose to tolerate. Both are improvements over full sized trucks.

I have already made several modifications and anticipate more before it approaches satisfaction.

I have owned something like 84 vehicles, every single one required custom modifications, heck even the vehicles which I built from the ground up required both compromises and subsequent modifications.

Satisfaction is a very subjective term, some buyers are truly satisfied without modification, and every vehicle has a target buyer.
My comment was in response to the term..."Satisfy every customer"

On the fiberglass side, My 13D was the best available to meet my needs, but has had at least a hundred mods, while searching for that ever elusive satisfaction.

My house had to be modified and I still have plans for more.

I just went to the bike shop to price the "best bike available"
It will have several modifications before leaving the shop and a few more aftermarket.
Always content, never satisfied!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My best ever tow truck is now a 2012 VW Touareg TDI rated 7700 lbs.
The first I really "Could not tell I was towing a trailer".
This last Great South West "Sea to shining sea" trip was the most comfortable trip EVER for Connie and me.
She Who Must Be Obeyed said this was the best towing trip ever, most comfortable, and least worrisome.
Climbing the mountains the highest RPS was 3000 briefly in auto, let the tranny handle it mode.
400+ foot lbs does the trick!
The 2012 VW TDI Execuitive cost $13,000 bought as a VW "Fixed" recalled VW bought-back car.
Why buy a TRUCK if you don't want to drive one everyday?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
IMHO. *NO* vehicle suitable for towing my 5000 lb trailer, plus hauling my large telescope, ladder, chairs, ramps, awnings, tables, is suitable as an everyday driver. hence, I have two vehicles, my car...

and my truck...

best of both worlds.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I have already made several modifications and anticipate more before it approaches satisfaction. ...
I hope you talk more about these mods.. maybe not here, maybe in your New Ranger thread.. but somewhere. I think a Ranger is in my future but I have to wonder about the mods, since I have had no desire to do any mods to my van outside of adding the stuff required to tow the Scamp.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #36

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Ridgelines are great mid sized trucks and work well with most pop-up campers. But I would be hesitant to recommend pulling a trailer over 3000 lbs even with the 5000 lbs rating. I would use the higher rating only for occasional trips for shorter distances. Lots of options out there for a 4400 lbs trailer-but mostly I would favor half tons over mid sized trucks.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #37

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Looking for something
Pennsylvania
I have a 2015 GMC Canyon and tow my 16 ft Scamp with it. I know that the Scamp's weight is about half your trailers. We have no problem towing and get relatively good mileage depending on speed and mountains. We just completed a 6,000 mile trip and averaged 16 miles per gallon. It was from PA to CA and back so we were over the Rockies. With our 6 cylinder engine and towing package the Canyon can pull 7,000 lbs.
Ken Longfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I hope you talk more about these mods.. maybe not here, maybe in your New Ranger thread.. but somewhere. I think a Ranger is in my future but I have to wonder about the mods, since I have had no desire to do any mods to my van outside of adding the stuff required to tow the Scamp.
I started out with installing four extra USB ports, Two in the dashtray and two inside the console, next was a sort tray inside the console, then the insight brake controller.
I usually install a sun roof on every new vehicle, sometimes it is hard to say what is a mod and what is merely an accessory or a cosmetic change.
Stuff like mud flaps, body stripes, hood deflectors tailgate strong arms, etc.

Maybe someday, a Borla cat back. other than that I'm not yet planning any engine, suspension, or electronic mods.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #39

NW Wisconsin
My wife has a sunroof in her G6 . I don’t know exactly why but it makes her vehicle feel more open and less cramped / crowded .
I began to appreciate it more once I stopped it from leaking .
Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #40

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Ridgeline is great

I have one of those rare, Bigfoot 5th wheels. It weighs about 4,000 lbs. dry (including propane tanks). We travel light (probably no more than 100 lbs.

I tow with a 2014 Ridgeline (variable AWD) and we travel mostly in Colorado. The truck performs really well and I get around 13 mpg average. Several experts have told me that you can go a bit heavier when the hitch weight is over the rear axle, as in a 5th wheel. And, with a 5th wheel, trailer sway is not a real issue.

The Bigfoot 5th wheels are only available on the used market, since the mold burned up in their big factory fire years ago (mine is a 1988). Scamp sells a 5th wheel and it is only about 3,000 lbs.

The other advantage of this setup is the comfort and efficiency of the Ridgeline when not towing.

I used to drive an F250 diesel (ugh!). I recently test drove 5 different pickups, including the F150, Tacoma, Tundra, GMC Canyon and Colorado (with diesel). None of them come close to the comfort of the Ridgeline, except possibly the Canyon. Reviews of the Toyota trucks is that they seem great for off-roading, not so great for highway driving and I concur. They are also short on creature comforts. I liked the Canyon (V-6), but it has a similar towing capacity to the Ridgeline Most importantly, there aren't many used Canyons out there, while I had my pick of low-mileage Ridgelines. The low-end torque of the Colorado diesel was so bad that it was dangerous just entering a freeway - and that was without any tow. The F150 was great in many respects, except that it drove and rode like a truck - which it is!
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote