Towing with a Sedan -- finally found one! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Towing with a Sedan -- finally found one!

I was considering an update to my '04 Camry TV, but don't need or want a station wagon/SUV type vehicle. After searching for a couple of years though I found that all manufacturers have dumbed down their mid-sized sedans to pull only 1,000 lbs, if anything at all.

I was resigned to changing my specs and had it narrowed down to an Outback or a Venza, when I discovered, by accident, that a Ford Fusion equipped with an EcoBoost engine is rated to pull 2,000 lbs! It is also lower, enabling my aging arms to hoist a canoe onto the roof!

Bought one (all-wheel drive :^); had the trailer hitch installed; now I"m waiting for the snow to melt enough to give it a workout.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Interesting that your 04 Camry didn't tow 2000 lbs.
Our '99 Camry 4 cyl. has a 2000 lb. tow rating. Wouldn't use it on mountains, though, just fairly level highways.

That said, I tow with my Tacoma 6cyl.

Good luck,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
I like to have a bit of extra theoretical capacity. That is pretty close. The trailer is about 1300 lbs, plus water, gear, etc. brings it up fairly close to 2K. What else is on it that isn't in that original weight, AC, battery, propane tank?
Also, your sedan itself is probably lighter than larger vehicles, possibly leading to the "tail wagging the dog". The heavier the TV, the more it would be "in charge" of the trailer, despite the theoretical towing weight.
Yours IS a V6, right?
Maybe you can upgrade it a bit to make it work better. The so called "towing package" takes the base Highlander from 2k to 5k by : "The towing package that comes standard includes a heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator. All this allows V6 models to tow a trailer up to 5,000 pounds!" Sway bars?
Maybe try to load as much of your gear in the car instead of the trailer for stability. Don't load the rear too much.
I personally prefer an SUV as my regular vehicle. Extra height for visibility, more mass for safety. But that's just me.
Let us know how it works out.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I like to have a bit of extra theoretical capacity. That is pretty close. The trailer is about 1300 lbs, plus water, gear, etc. brings it up fairly close to 2K. What else is on it that isn't in that original weight, AC, battery, propane tank?
Also, your sedan itself is probably lighter than larger vehicles, possibly leading to the "tail wagging the dog". The heavier the TV, the more it would be "in charge" of the trailer, despite the theoretical towing weight.
Yours IS a V6, right?
Maybe you can upgrade it a bit to make it work better. The so called "towing package" takes the base Highlander from 2k to 5k by : "The towing package that comes standard includes a heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator. All this allows V6 models to tow a trailer up to 5,000 pounds!" Sway bars?
Maybe try to load as much of your gear in the car instead of the trailer for stability. Don't load the rear too much.
I personally prefer an SUV as my regular vehicle. Extra height for visibility, more mass for safety. But that's just me.
Let us know how it works out.
: u should of tried the latest model Susuki Grand Vitarra it will tow with the 4cyl, auto, 3000#'s. But we will be towing it.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Congrats! Should be a comfortable and reliable car.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Towing any FG trailer with a Fusion may have you right up against the vehicle's towing , payload , and frontal area limits.
Hopefully with some careful planning you can make it work.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Congratulations on your new car. Was your Boler built in Earlton, ON? Our '76 Boler has the same door window. We haven't seen many like that.
Cheers, Barb
Barb & Bob MacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
As Bill said your tow rated engine may handle it but there are lots of other things to consider.
If you had to install hitch it doesn' sound like it has a tow pkg. as Bill points out in his message.
Another big consideration is STOPPING.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gotta slow down here... Every manufacturer is different in terms of how they package and sell towing stuff. Sometimes a "tow package" is the hitch and wiring only, in others it's the mechanical upgrades only, sometimes both, sometimes neither.

The only thing that matters here is what the owner's manual for this vehicle says. I'm guessing it specifies trailer brakes over XX pounds- I'd advise them in any case. I'm also guessing there may be a frontal area limit for the trailer- pretty common with a lot of Fords- and I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than a typical egg trailer. I would definitely recommend reading the owner's manual, as well as any towing guides published by Ford.

I felt like I got a better tow with a minivan than a larger SUV, so I'm not of the mindset that a truck or SUV is necessarily the best choice in every situation. It is refreshing that there may be at least one sedan out there with a decent tow rating.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My RAV4 V6 tow package did not include hitch receiver, brake controller or wiring. It did include larger alternator, larger radiator and transmission fluid cooler ( all standard in Canada and optional in US ). You really do have to check your specific tow and model. Dealer should be able to provide that information from your V.I.N.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
According to Ford the Fusion is not offered with a factory tow package . The stated frontal area limit varies between 12 and 20 sq ft. Certain Fusion models are not rated / recommended for towing anything . The "Trailer Weights in the Real World" stickie shows trailer weights between 1300 to 2200 lbs for a B1300 Boler.
Since the OP has already purchased a Fusion , this discussion is purely academic .IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The 2L ecoboost is the same one in the Escape with 3500 lb tow rating. Not sure if the transmission is the same, but you'll have plenty of power. I agree that brakes on the trailer are an excellent investment if you don't already have them. Enjoy your new tug!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm wishing you the best in towing with your sedan. We purchased a 2008 Subaru Legacy sedan before we know we would be purchasing a new 2011 Scamp 13'. The only problems are that the hitch scrapes or "bottoms out" on dips, bumps and quick inclines. We have to plan ahead how to approach these challenges to minimize the scraping. The second challenge is that the brake box is placed under the driver side dashboard. This is no problem for my husband who is taller than I. For me, however, at 5'4", my knee bumps the box if my seat is not positioned perfectly.

For these reasons, we are considering a Subaru Crosstrek for our next tow vehicle. It is the same as an Impreza except that it has higher clearance. We like that it is smaller than an Outback or Forester. If you haven't already figured it out we LOVE our Subaru!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Thanks for your good wishes

My apologies for a fuzzy time line.

The '04 Camry has towed our 13' Boler beautifully for 13 years (as did it's predecessor, a '96 Camry, for 4 years). But the car's retirement age is fast approaching. My complaint was that updated, new Camrys and all other mid-sized sedans (but one) have been dumbed down to pulling 1,000 lbs, or less, rather than the olden days 2,000, or better.

My trailer weighs l,620 lbs fully loaded and ready to go, so 2,000 gives me a comfortable cushion. The hitch is aftermarket but built by CURT for Ford and was installed by Ford. That's good enough for me.

If this new combo works as well as the last one, I'll be happy.
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Our Infiniti G35 sedan worked great as a TV. Last summer for fun I almost bought this 2006 Jaguar which had only 80,000klm's on it. It came with a 4,500lb tow rating.

The 300HP V8 had nice power and the article I read said it got very good fuel mileage for a V8.

Good luck with the new sedan. Set up right I should work great.
Attached Thumbnails
jag v8.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Don't load the rear too much.
Congratulations on your Ford Fusion. We tow with a sedan also. I place my heavy tool box on the floor of the camper as close to the front as possible. It really helps.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Maybe you can upgrade it a bit to make it work better. The so called "towing package" takes the base Highlander from 2k to 5k by : "The towing package that comes standard includes a heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, supplemental transmission oil cooler and 150-amp alternator. All this allows V6 models to tow a trailer up to 5,000 pounds!" .
Curious that none of those things is a safety device?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #18

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Usually it isn't the brakes or the frame that stops a decent sized car (mid sized sedan) from being able to tow, it cooling the fluids.

The problem in North America is they want to sell bigger cars/trucks/suvs and they have to deal with the litigious market of the US.

Example:
3 series BMWs are rated to ~4000 lbs in Europe and not recommended to tow at all in North America. The cars are the exact same. (You can even go to realoem.com and compare if you want all the part numbers are the same)

It's just a culture thing.

Have fun with the new car OP!
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #19

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Our Infiniti G35 sedan worked great as a TV. Last summer for fun I almost bought this 2006 Jaguar which had only 80,000klm's on it. It came with a 4,500lb tow rating.

The 300HP V8 had nice power and the article I read said it got very good fuel mileage for a V8.
Theoretically can tow a trailer, but consider the vehicle weight and the trailer weight, and the phrase, "tail wagging the dog."
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote