Towing with a Toyota Rav 4 Prime? Anyone? Beuller? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Nh
Towing with a Toyota Rav 4 Prime? Anyone? Beuller?

I have a Toyota Rav 4 prime I would like to tow with. I am working on an old Casita and plan to lighten the load during the remodel. I am ditching the water tanks for sure. My Rav 4 says it will tow 2500 lbs, I am hoping to get the Casita to around 1500 lbs.

Anyone every tow with this vehicle?
mopedmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:40 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've heard very good things from a couple of people towing 13'ers under 2000# fully loaded. I'm skeptical about a 16'er. Not sure what you've got.

It's my dream replacement for our Pilot for empty nest travel with our 13' Scamp, but they're rare as hen's teeth in my region, and dealer mark-ups are insane. We're still a year or two out, and a lot could change before then.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 02:54 PM   #3

Nh
John, I love the Rav 4 Prime. It has great electric range. I never put gas init for my 8 mile commute. I don't use half the stuff they put in most campers so I hope to keep the weight down in the restoration. If not I have another vehicle. I had a Trillium 13er I restored and towed with a Subaru Forester a few years back.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:56 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
I’d start with running your trailer across a scale and getting an accurate weight. Be sure to include tongue weight.

My Trillium 1300 weighed in at 1500 pounds with no water tank, no propane, no furnace, no battery. It quickly grew from there.
Old 06-20-2024, 06:27 AM   #5

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Iíd start with running your trailer across a scale and getting an accurate weight. Be sure to include tongue weight.

My Trillium 1300 weighed in at 1500 pounds with no water tank, no propane, no furnace, no battery. It quickly grew from there.
This is my second FGRV, the first was a Trillium 13! I love how they were made. It was a great little camper. I am trying to keep the weight down. Casita 16 is a total gut. Vehicle only has 2500# tow rating. May just buy a small pickup if I have to. I heard you can't wire a Rav 4 Prime for electric brakes which is a concern.
Old 06-20-2024, 09:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
There's a wireless trailer brake unit. Redarc or something like that. I haven't used one but others have posted that they use it and it works.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There's also Autowbrake.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:59 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
The Curt Echo brake controller fits inline with the trailer's electrical, and needs no wiring. It's calibrated and monitored through a smartphone app. It's worked fine so far. Last week we towed a 3000-lb Scamp down one of the steepest paved roads in Colorado, with no worries.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 02:58 PM   #9

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
There's a wireless trailer brake unit. Redarc or something like that. I haven't used one but others have posted that they use it and it works.
Good to know, I will have to look into that. I have a little work to do on this beast right now. New floor in the works.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:00 PM   #10

Nh
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
The Curt Echo brake controller fits inline with the trailer's electrical, and needs no wiring. It's calibrated and monitored through a smartphone app. It's worked fine so far. Last week we towed a 3000-lb Scamp down one of the steepest paved roads in Colorado, with no worries.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
That sounds like a great option. I will check it out, thanks.