Towing with an electric vehicle - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2023, 07:15 PM   #181

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Not that you'd ever want to run it to zero, of course.
The Out of Spec Reviews guy did an interview with a guy who is driving a Tesla roadster around the world. Literally, like in the outback of countries that donít have any charging infratructure. One comment he said which I like is ďthe machine serves the person, not the other way aroundĒ, meaning he doesnít worry about babying the battery. He drives it to 100% and 0% if need be. Since then I still keep my battery within the limits it likes but Iíll run it down if I need to.

Second comment is one Iíve been saying for years to charging naysayers, which is electricity is everywhere. Find a socket somewhere and youíve got a charge, in the outback he frequently stops at gas stations because you canít pump gas without electricity. Easy to find a plug, give the owner a couple bucks and get a charge.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #182

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
tow to Algonac State Park

We had another great fiberglass rally at Algonac State Park.
A pleasant tow to and from the rally, stopping at the Ypsilanti Supercharger each way. This Supercharger is closer to our destination, allowing a short 20 minute charge on the way, but requiring a 40 minute charge on the way home. We could have chosen a more optimal charger on the way home, but we liked the pull-in capability and also the more scenic route.
Overall efficiency was 416 Whr/mile for the 435 mile round trip.
Attached Thumbnails
20230906_132038.jpg   20230906_155829.jpg  

20230907_073308.jpg   20230910_130830.jpg  

Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #183

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Thanks Steve. Great to see the numbers.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:51 AM   #184

Indiana
Registry
Towing to Kohler-Andrae State Park

We have done this route several times, but this is the first time with EV. Chicago is mid-route, which can sometimes be a challenge. We usually plan to travel that portion late morning to early afternoon to avoid the worst traffic, and that worked well this time. Milwaukee had lots of construction and provided plenty of traffic chaos. We chose a route across Indiana that is nearly devoid of EV charging infrastructure, but found that our rig provided sufficient range.
As normal, we left home with 99% charge and arrived at the Merrillville, IN Supercharger with 22% remaining. We charged 31 minutes to 82% ($17.94) and headed for the Tri-State. We arrived at the Kenosha Supercharger with 22% remaining and charged 19 minutes to 67% ($11.89). We pushed on to our campsite, arriving with 20% remaining.
We would normally hook up to the campsite electric at this point, but we prefer the non-electric sites in this campground. This required a 7 mile jaunt up the road to the Sheboygan Supercharger where I charged to 80% ($20.63). That was sufficient to cover our local travel the next three days and get us headed back home.
Attached Thumbnails
20230928_110616.jpg   20230928_132351.jpg  

20230928_153219.jpg   20230930_151313.jpg  

Old 10-04-2023, 07:12 AM   #185

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Kohler-Andrae tok

Towing home was basically the reverse, but there were some differences. We used the same Superchargers, but having the long slog across Indiana without the luxury of the 99% home charge required 40 minutes at the Merrillville Supercharger to achieve a sufficient 81% ($19.50). The earlier Kenosha charge took 30 minutes to 81% ($17.17), but that allowed me to grab a case of Spotted Cow, as the Supercharger is located in the Woodman's parking lot.
Another difference was that the Merrillville Supercharger was very busy and a non-towing Tesla was using the only available pull-in charging spot. The driver was not present, so I could not ask for them to move to another open site. It only took a few minutes for me to unhook, so it was more aggravation than time loss. On the plus side, this Supercharger will soon open a new row of 250kW chargers, including a second pull-in site.
Total round trip was 655 miles, averaging 427 Wh/mile. Mostly 4-lane highway travelling with truck traffic, about half the time at 70+ and half 60+. No significant wind either way.
Attached Thumbnails
20231001_172625.jpg  
Old 10-04-2023, 07:20 AM   #186

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I enjoyed reading your latest report Steve. Interesting but I guess not surprising that virtually the same energy consumption was used both ways. Guess that belies steady speeds and lack of wind. Best of luck on your future trips
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:25 AM   #187

British Columbia
Thanks for the update Steve.
Old 10-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #188

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
This is really interesting information. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:05 AM   #189

Indiana
Registry
I appreciate the feedback. I've documented all 6,659 miles of towing our Trillium 4500 since we purchased our Model Y Long Range in June 2022. It is becoming even more enjoyable as we gain experience and the charging infrastructure builds out. I look forward to seeing non-Tesla tow vehicles utilizing the wonderful Supercharger network in the not-to-distant future.

I would love to see more reports from others, especially with different tow vehicles or campers.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:20 AM   #190

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hague View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I've documented all 6,659 miles of towing our Trillium 4500 since we purchased our Model Y Long Range in June 2022. It is becoming even more enjoyable as we gain experience and the charging infrastructure builds out. I look forward to seeing non-Tesla tow vehicles utilizing the wonderful Supercharger network in the not-to-distant future.

I would love to see more reports from others, especially with different tow vehicles or campers.
Hi Steve. Iím always reluctant to post on your thread with our adventures just cause I donít want to be a thread stealer. But I will in the future. Unfortunately we just winterized our trailer so no reports until next April.

Our first big trip next is a slow tour from BC to Ottawa and back although the route back will be different than the route there. We anticipate 9 weeks on the road and roughly 11000 kilometres. This is our second time across Canada but we have a different hit list this time.

This is best we can do for our last significant preówinterize trip. We are liking the more trailer friendly BC hydro DC fast chargers. This was in kootenay national park near radium. We made a couple more shorter trips after this one and then winterized.

Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:49 AM   #191

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
Hi Steve. Iím always reluctant to post on your thread with our adventures just cause I donít want to be a thread stealer. But I will in the future. Unfortunately we just winterized our trailer so no reports until next April.

Our first big trip next is a slow tour from BC to Ottawa and back although the route back will be different than the route there. We anticipate 9 weeks on the road and roughly 11000 kilometres. This is our second time across Canada but we have a different hit list this time.

This is best we can do for our last significant preówinterize trip. We are liking the more trailer friendly BC hydro DC fast chargers. This was in kootenay national park near radium. We made a couple more shorter trips after this one and then winterized.r post

Please steal-away!
I started this thread to share our real-world experiences and hoped to gain from other's experiences as well.

That's quite a voyage you have planned, something for us to fantasize about. I can't wait to see your posts. I would love to try out the Canadian chargers.

We have two more fiberglass rallies in the next few weeks, so hope to share those.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #192

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hague View Post
Please steal-away!
I started this thread to share our real-world experiences and hoped to gain from other's experiences as well.

That's quite a voyage you have planned, something for us to fantasize about. I can't wait to see your posts. I would love to try out the Canadian chargers.

We have two more fiberglass rallies in the next few weeks, so hope to share those.
Looking forward to hear how the rally’s go.

A recommendation for you for nice parks to visit is Yoho Natiobal park and specifically the kicking horse campground. That’s us waaaay off to the right.

This is Radar the wonder dog. He is 13 years old and does all the hikes with us. We named him after our old air force trade. We bring him even on 8 and 10 kilometre hikes but I carry him in a pack when he gets tired. Angela and I are in our sixties. He is technically 91 years old in dog years. I hope I'm in as good a shape as he is when I'm 91

Emerald lake hike. Maybe 7 kilometres round trip depending where you start.

Hope you make it up here someday.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #193

Indiana
Registry
Towing to Versailles State Park

Left home with 99% charge and arrived at our first and only charging stop after 152 miles. There was a detour just before the Shelbyville Supercharger which took us about 20 miles out of the way, but we still arrived with a comfortable 11% charge. Since our destination was only 50 miles down the road, we only needed a 10 minute charge, but we stayed 18 minutes so that I could finish my lunch. We left with a 63% charge which we paid $14.20.
Note that there is no pull-in charger at this site, so we took a chance and pulled in anyway, blocking two additional chargers. I stayed with the car and was ready to move if the charger became busy, but fortunately we were able to charge quickly and did not block anyone from charging.
We arrived at our Versailles State Park campsite (Hoosier Hospitality Fall Rally) with 34% charge remaining. We plugged into the 30A (120V) campsite electric post for a nice, slow (but free) charge. By morning the battery had easily achieved the 80% charge limit that I had set.
Trip summary: 201 miles, averaging 421 Wh/mile. There was negligible wind. About half interstate, keeping up with the truck traffic. Speed limit+ on the two-lane highways.
Attached Thumbnails
20231012_130041.jpg   20231012_144436.jpg  

20231012_163032.jpg  
Old 10-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #194

British Columbia
Great report Steve.

I am hoping that once tesla starts selling cybertrucks they will increase the number of trailer friendly stalls. We charged at the supercharger in Hope and they had a few stalls enough for a 20 foot trailer or so.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #195

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thank you Steve, exciting stuff!
Old 10-18-2023, 05:53 AM   #196

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Hoosier Hospitality Fall Rally

We had a great time camping with many of our fiberglass friends at Versailles State Park. The weather started out fantastic and the award-winning fried chicken dinner on Friday night was all it promised and more. I had never been in this unique part of Indiana before, so I am happy that this rally helped me discover more of my Hoosier heritage.
I reset the charge limit on our Tesla Model Y Long Range to 95% on Saturday night so that we had a comfortable range buffer to leave the next morning. Tesla recommends that this particular battery pack not be left sitting for an extended period with more than 90% charge. Unless we are road-tripping, I normally set the charge limit to 70-80%, which is far more charge than we use on a normal day.
So we left our campsite the next morning with 95% charge and headed on a different route home that took us to the Richmond Supercharger 80 miles up the road. We arrived with 41% remaining, charged to 79% in 20 minutes, and paid $11.70. I barely had time to finish a quick lunch and use the restroom before the car indicated it had sufficient charge to continue. The Richmond Supercharger has a nice pull-in charging site that allowed us to charge without needing to unhook the trailer, a real plus.
We made it home with 6% remaining. We documented 13-14 MPH headwinds, which resulted in one of the least efficient trips we've ever had. Fortunately most of this trip was on two-lane highways, running 55-60 MPH most of the way. This trip was 186 miles, using 92 kWh, averaging 492 Wh/mile.
Attached Thumbnails
20231015_101452.jpg   20231015_125329.jpg  

20231015_150948.jpg  
Old 10-18-2023, 07:24 AM   #197

British Columbia
Nice that you include your energy stats. We are typically 320 to 380 watt hours per kilometre.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #198

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
EV Towing Report

Thanks for the one way report. Hope you have great fall color and bright sunny days. I think you’re towing your trillium for about a third of what I’m spending on gasoline on a per mile basis towing the Escape 21 with the V6 Highlander. My wife Rita looked at a Rivian near Sullivan Illinois when we were at that rally in June. They weren’t towing, they were the folks with the Goat Tower. The day is coming.
We sure like our 7.6kWh array for house power. Works well.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:41 PM   #199

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Virginia has this Highway fee.
"The highway use fee (HUF) helps make up for the fuel taxes that drivers with fuel-efficient and electric vehicles spend less on, because they’re not using as much fuel. This fee supports the Commonwealth Transportation Fund, which helps maintain our roads, highways, transit and airports."

The fees you can pay per mile you drive or when you renew your tags.

B. 1. For an electric motor vehicle, the highway use fee shall be 85 percent of the amount of taxes paid under subsection A of ß 58.1-2217 on fuel used by a vehicle with a combined fuel economy of 23.7 miles per gallon for the average number of miles traveled by a passenger vehicle in the Commonwealth, as determined by the Commissioner. For all other fuel-efficient vehicles, the highway use fee shall be 85 percent of the difference between the tax paid under subsection A of ß 58.1-2217 on the fuel used by a vehicle with a combined fuel economy of 23.7 miles per gallon for the average number of miles traveled by a passenger vehicle in the Commonwealth in a year, as determined by the Commissioner, and the tax paid under subsection A of ß 58.1-2217 on the fuel used by the vehicle being registered for the average number of miles traveled by a passenger vehicle in the Commonwealth in a year, as determined by the Commissioner.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #200

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
The Future of driving is here

This was in my email

I can see the Government being able to restrict your mileage because of Global Warming.

Dear Vehicle Owner,

Your vehicle registration is due for renewal soon. Before you renew, please read this important information about a new option for paying your highway use fee that may save you money.

A New Option To Pay Your Highway Use Fee

As an owner of an electric, hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicle, you pay a highway use fee when you renew your annual registration. This covers your share of building and maintaining Virginia’s roads.

You now have options to pay your highway use fee. You can choose to continue to pay the annual highway use fee for your vehicle or enroll in Virginia's new Mileage Choice Program at the time of your registration renewal. Under the Mileage Choice Program, you only pay for the miles you drive. If you drive less, you’ll pay less. And, if you end up driving a little more, you’ll never pay more than your annual highway use fee. The choice is yours.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote