Towing with an electric vehicle - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2023, 07:59 PM   #201

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In Iowa we grow corn to burn out the tailpipe. We pray to the farm bureau and ban books that every young person should read. We pay taxes for education that is given to private schools and wonder why teachers graduate from our universities and leave for jobs in other states. There are drawbacks wherever you live. Some are equitable others are just stupid.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #202

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19'. Used to have a 2005 Scamp 16'.
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
A New Option To Pay Your Highway Use Fee

As an owner of an electric, hybrid or fuel-efficient vehicle, you pay a highway use fee when you renew your annual registration. This covers your share of building and maintaining Virginiaís roads.

You now have options to pay your highway use fee. You can choose to continue to pay the annual highway use fee for your vehicle or enroll in Virginia's new Mileage Choice Program at the time of your registration renewal. Under the Mileage Choice Program, you only pay for the miles you drive. If you drive less, youíll pay less. And, if you end up driving a little more, youíll never pay more than your annual highway use fee. The choice is yours.
That actually makes sense! If you are a low mileage driver then you are getting unfairly penalized by a flat fee. With a gas vehicle, you only pay taxes on how much you drive.
Having the option to only pay for the mileage you use puts you even with gas users.
I think we still have a flat fee in GA, which would have penalized me this year since we haven't been traveling at all due to medical issues.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:06 PM   #203

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Towing to Hungry Mother Rally

This is likely our last EV-tow for the 2023 camping season, so we made it a comfortable two-day trip to Hungry Mother State Park in the mountains of Virginia. It is 500 miles one-way, which is near our daily limit, especially when we are unfamiliar with the route.
We left home with 100% charge, arrived at the Lima, OH Supercharger with 46% remaining. We unhooked, charged to 70% ($7.41) and left 12 minutes later.
We arrived at a nice pull-in Supercharger in Columbus, OH with 10% remaining, charged to 50% ($14.08) and left in 13 minutes.
Our next Supercharger visit was to Chillicothe, OH. We arrived with 19%, but the station had just been closed for routine maintenance a few minutes earlier. Fortunately, the technician kept one pedestal open for those already on their way, so we happily charged to 53% (($9.99) and left in ten minutes. We arrived at Gallia County Fairground Campground with 13% remaining, charged overnight at the 50A post to 96% (free) and left the next morning. We arrived at the Beckley, WV Supercharger with 10% remaining. We had lunch, charged to 81% ($21.28) and left 38 minutes later.
We arrived at our destination with 12% remaining and plugged into our campsite's 50A (free) for the next few days.
Trip summary: 505 miles, using 242 kWh, averaging 480 Wh/mile. There was a 15 mph cross-wind the first day, but negligible the second. We traveled with the truck traffic on the interstate and with everyone else on the regular highways.
Attached Thumbnails
20231018_143412.jpg   20231018_162336.jpg  

20231018_174751.jpg   20231019_073922.jpg  

20231019_124531.jpg   20231019_161506.jpg  

20231019_152313.jpg  
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #204

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19'. Used to have a 2005 Scamp 16'.
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hague View Post
We arrived at a nice pull-in Supercharger in Columbus, OH with 10% remaining, charged to 50% ($14.08) and left in 13 minutes.
Our next Supercharger visit was to Chillicothe, OH. We arrived with 19%, but the station had just been closed for routine maintenance a few minutes earlier. Fortunately, the technician kept one pedestal open for those already on their way, so we happily charged to 53% (($9.99) and left in ten minutes. We arrived at Gallia County Fairground Campground with 13% remaining, charged overnight at the 50A post to 96% (free) and left the next morning. We arrived at the Beckley, WV Supercharger with 10% remaining. We had lunch, charged to 81% ($21.28) and left 38 minutes later.
We arrived at our destination with 12% remaining and plugged into our campsite's 50A (free) for the next few days.
Thanks for the update Steve.
Did you start getting nervous when you were getting down to those 10% levels, or did you have enough charging stations available to not be worried?
I know I get nervous when I'm below 20% of remaining fuel but at least I know when there are plenty of gas stations around when I push beyond that %.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #205

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Thanks for the update Steve.
Did you start getting nervous when you were getting down to those 10% levels, or did you have enough charging stations available to not be worried?
I know I get nervous when I'm below 20% of remaining fuel but at least I know when there are plenty of gas stations around when I push beyond that %.
Experience is a great teacher, and we now have 8,000 miles of it. We were nervous on our first few tows, but now we have learned to trust the Tesla navigation to be very accurate, and the closer to our destination, the better.
We would still like to see more charging stations installed, particularly where there are 100+ mile gaps between the existing fast-charge stations. The theoretical optimum would be to charge to 70% and arrive with 5% or less to take advantage of the fastest part of the charging curve. In practice, we charge to whatever will give us 15-20% remaining at the next charger, especially if there are few or no alternatives near the end of the leg.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:05 PM   #206

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Hungry Mother

We had a wonderful time at the Hungry Mother Rally and plan to return next year.
We left the campground with 99% charge from the 50A campsite pedestal. The Tesla navigation projected that we should arrive at the Charleston WV Supercharger with 9% battery. Since we were experiencing a 14-15 MPH headwinds and mountainous terrain, we expected that we would have to add another charge stop on the way. We decided to moderate our speed to 58-65 MPH and were rewarded 160 miles later to arrive in Charleston with 6% remaining. We were amazed to achieve 415 Wh/mile under those conditions. We charged to 89% ($24.22) in 29 minutes. The rest of the way home, we used the same chargers that we had used on the way down, except we decided to drive straight through without stopping to camp overnight.
We arrived at Chillicothe with 8%, charged to 59% (15,43) in 20 minutes.
We arrived at Columbus with 20%, charged to 78% ($19.01) in 26 minutes.
We arrived at Lima with 17%, charged to 69% ($17.14) in 23 minutes.
WE made it home with 13% remaining.
The trip home was 495 miles, using 237 kWh and averaged 478 Wh/mile. Our Supercharging expense was $75.80 compared to $52.76 on the way down, but we did pay $35 for the campsite (and full charge).
The round trip was 1000 miles, using 479 kWh, averaging 479 Wh/mile. You can't get more consistent than that.
Attached Thumbnails
20231020_160656.jpg   20231022_075313.jpg  

20231022_111851.jpg   20231022_200326.jpg  

Old 01-21-2024, 01:19 PM   #207

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Hi Steve. Great report. Yep. Dropping 10 kilometres per hour off the speed brings huge drops in consumption. It’s why we see much better range in the mountains than on the prairies. The speed limits are much lower in the mountains here.
Old 01-21-2024, 02:36 PM   #208

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I’m pro EV. And am hoping that towing with a EVTV will be commonplace in my lifetime. But the infrastructure and maintenance support for charging stations has to be built. I do believe this will work best for the smaller, lighter fiberglass trailers.

Jon is absolutely correct about the configuration of charging stations - designed for cars not towing vehicles. Another reason while smaller trailers, easier to unhitch currently works best with this technology.

Given problems Eva are currently experiencing with freezing cold weather throughout the country this winter, you’ll need to plan for surprise weather events.

Given scarcity of charging stations in rural areas EV owners will have to carefully plan their trips & drive their plans.

Just say’in
Old 01-21-2024, 03:14 PM   #209

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I went back through all the posts but cannot see or read if the Tesla's and EV cars use a weight distribution hitch. I realize the small trailers are light weight but they may still be affected by semi's passing and strong cross winds. Does anyone use a WDH?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:19 PM   #210

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I went back through all the posts but cannot see or read if the Tesla's and EV cars use a weight distribution hitch. I realize the small trailers are light weight but they may still be affected by semi's passing and strong cross winds. Does anyone use a WDH?
Because of the car's weight, I do not think they need one. I do not think they were made with towing in mind. It just happens you can do a small camper.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 03:49 PM   #211

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Iím pro EV. And am hoping that towing with a EVTV will be commonplace in my lifetime. But the infrastructure and maintenance support for charging stations has to be built. I do believe this will work best for the smaller, lighter fiberglass trailers.

Jon is absolutely correct about the configuration of charging stations - designed for cars not towing vehicles. Another reason while smaller trailers, easier to unhitch currently works best with this technology.

Given problems Eva are currently experiencing with freezing cold weather throughout the country this winter, youíll need to plan for surprise weather events.

Given scarcity of charging stations in rural areas EV owners will have to carefully plan their trips & drive their plans.

Just sayíin
I used to be a fan of EVs, and I would read anything I could about them. All you read was positive stuff. Any problems were downplayed. But lately the warts are being reported on YouTube, the News.

This cold winter has exposed what many owners have said about EVs and the cold.
EVs will never be the answer to the Gas engine. I saw a cold power alert in Alberta. They are asking people not to use portable heaters and cut off all unnecessary electric items, including light bulbs, and use the microwave to cook only, etc. Because of the strain on the power grid.
I retired from an electric company. The power grid is decades overdue for upgrades. We are no longer building Nuclear Power plants, where will the power come from.
The RV business will go out of business. Not everyone can afford an EV besides towing one. Then having to unhook to charge your car every 100 miles.
The resale value of a used EV has collapsed. The expense of a battery replacement is too risky.
EVs have 70% more problems than Gas vehicles.
The risk of fires is now being reported on anything with these batteries.
They are saying do not park near your garage. I watched the fire department say they had to let the EV burn.
Now some have a fire blanket.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:26 PM   #212

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Tesla says to not use weight distribution hitches on their cars. Which is fine as any trailer being pulled by a tesla car wouldn’t need one anyway. We don’t use one. The trailer is 3385 pounds.

You can use a WDH with the cybertruck as shown in some videos.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:28 PM   #213

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
I used to be a fan of EVs, and I would read anything I could about them. All you read was positive stuff. Any problems were downplayed. But lately the warts are being reported on YouTube, the News.

This cold winter has exposed what many owners have said about EVs and the cold.
EVs will never be the answer to the Gas engine. I saw a cold power alert in Alberta. They are asking people not to use portable heaters and cut off all unnecessary electric items, including light bulbs, and use the microwave to cook only, etc. Because of the strain on the power grid.
I retired from an electric company. The power grid is decades overdue for upgrades. We are no longer building Nuclear Power plants, where will the power come from.
The RV business will go out of business. Not everyone can afford an EV besides towing one. Then having to unhook to charge your car every 100 miles.
The resale value of a used EV has collapsed. The expense of a battery replacement is too risky.
EVs have 70% more problems than Gas vehicles.
The risk of fires is now being reported on anything with these batteries.
They are saying do not park near your garage. I watched the fire department say they had to let the EV burn.
Now some have a fire blanket.
Vehicle fires are much more common on gas vehicles than EVís. Insurance companies will back that up with data.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:32 PM   #214

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Iím pro EV. And am hoping that towing with a EVTV will be commonplace in my lifetime. But the infrastructure and maintenance support for charging stations has to be built. I do believe this will work best for the smaller, lighter fiberglass trailers.

Given problems Eva are currently experiencing with freezing cold weather throughout the country this winter, youíll need to plan for surprise weather events.

Just sayíin
We have never experienced problems charging at any winter temps. We charge as fast at minus 27 on our last trip as we do in summer. But we know to pre-condition the battery before charging. Itís a screen selection done thru the navigation feature. People who donít do this will turn a 20 minute minus 30 supercharge into a 2 or 3 hour event. Thatís just the way it is. Itís not an issue if you READ THE MANUAL.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:48 PM   #215

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Haters gotta hate, Lovers gotta love.
I’ve extinguished gasoline car fires, seen hundreds of gelled up tractor trailers and helped a number of “out of gasoline” ICE vehicle owners.
Nothing’s perfect and innovation and experimentation have driven America for many years. The power companies have not returned enough money into grid expansion and upgrades, EV’s notwithstanding.
Solar and Wind energy are the new petroleum and coal . How did coal oil fuel work out for a past energy source and what became of the Stanley Steamer?

Thanks for those great EV towing reports. Better than reading about corroded anodes and leaky bathroom vents in my opinion.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:10 PM   #216

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I appreciate our EV owners keeping us updated as to their real world experiences. I applaud their patience in correcting the misinformation thrown out by the less informed, time after time. Towing with an EV may never be the choice for all or even most of us but why be upset when some show it works for them?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:30 AM   #217

Name: Marcin
Trailer: Happier Camper
Colorado
Towing experience with HCT

Went out for a first efficiency test with our new (to us) Happier Camper Traveler (HCT) last November. Here is the data.

Tow vehicle: Rivian R1T
Temperatures in the low to mid 50F
Mostly flat to slightly rolling hill interstate averaging 65-66mph using cruise control. Out and back loop
HCT is a 14í shell that is about 8í tall (8í 9Ē with the AC). The width at the widest point is almost exactly the width of the truck which probably helps with efficiency but also lets me see all the way down the side of the rig with the R1T side mirrors.

1.61 mi/kWh average
Overall average in the trailer display was 1.7 mi/kWh but that included county roads and town driving at 30-55mph

Since then, we have towed up the mountain a few thousand feet and it was a great experience. Not having to worry about brakes on the way down always makes the steep downhills less stressful
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8177.jpg  
Marchin_MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:09 PM   #218

Indiana
Registry
Great report. I've been hoping to see how the Happier Camper towed with an EV.
I read online that the Rivian R1T has 106 kW of usable battery capacity which suggests that you could have gone 180 miles on a full charge. I wonder how much further if there was no A/C on the roof adding to the drag.
How far between charges do you think that you would be comfortable? Does the Rivian software provide an accurate estimate of range while towing?
Thank you for providing this documentation.
Steve
Old 05-21-2024, 01:54 PM   #219

Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Great report. I've been hoping to see how the Happier Camper towed with an EV.
I read online that the Rivian R1T has 106 kW of usable battery capacity which suggests that you could have gone 180 miles on a full charge. I wonder how much further if there was no A/C on the roof adding to the drag.
How far between charges do you think that you would be comfortable? Does the Rivian software provide an accurate estimate of range while towing?
Thank you for providing this documentation.
Steve
Thanks @Steve Hague.

I have wondered about the AC unit as well. Some newer units seem to have lower profile as well but I dont see myself messing around with that unless the one I have breaks

Our R1T has approx. 130kWh usable (large pack) and 21" AS wheels which is a good spec for range. The truck nav has been quite accurate with range estimates on the latest software and reports about 200-220 miles on full charge with the HCT hooked up. This is after it has had some time to "learn" the trailer. I would not want to go under 10% when towing and, while I start from home with 100% SoC, on the road I would probably try not to fast-charge much above 90% to save time. So 160 to 170 miles seems reasonable to retain a sanity buffer. My goal is also to take advantage of KOA and campground charging where available on longer trips in the future and minimize DC stations. We shall see how that works out.

Rivian does have a nascent charging network (pretty useful in Colorado) and all their stations have at least one trailer pull-through spot.

They also offer a larger pack with a more efficient drive train option (about 140 kWh, dual motor) that may be interesting for some, but this is an expensive add on. However, there is a refresh scheduled this year and you might see how the lineup is updated and how this impacts the various range options.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:29 PM   #220

Colorado
Quote:
This is likely our last EV-tow for the 2023 camping season, so we made it a comfortable two-day trip to Hungry Mother State Park in the mountains of Virginia. It is 500 miles one-way, which is near our daily limit, especially when we are unfamiliar with the route.
We left home with 100% charge, arrived at the Lima, OH Supercharger with 46% remaining. We unhooked, charged to 70% ($7.41) and left 12 minutes later.
Trip summary: 505 miles, using 242 kWh, averaging 480 Wh/mile. There was a 15 mph cross-wind the first day, but negligible the second. We traveled with the truck traffic on the interstate and with everyone else on the regular highways.
Thanks for the writeup. Really impressive to see someone getting >2mi/kWh while towing a camper! Seems like a good set up.