Towing with an electric vehicle - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2024, 06:29 AM   #221

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
We took a break from EV towing

Our last camping trip of the 2023 season was to Big Bend National Park, around 4,000 miles total. We chose to use our 2015 Honda Odyssey for this tow, primarily because of the sparse public charging once you arrive at this immense national park. We learned that there are some 50A campsites available which are commonly rented to EVs according to the park staff. Nearby, one new fast charging site has opened and another under construction since we returned home.
The Odyssey's cavernous cargo area was nice, but I still think the Tesla Model Y is adequate for our needs.
We traveled about 1,000 miles one day, which would have been difficult with any EV, given the extra time needed for charging stops, other days were around 500 miles, which is doable. We have planned a trip into the Colorado Rockies later this summer which will be our longest EV tow so far, around 3,000 miles.

We intended to start the 2024 camping season towing our Trillium 4500 to Prophet's Town State Park using our Model Y. Unfortunately, I caved in the passenger side door against a post while backing a trailer load of soil, so the Tesla was in the body shop for two weeks and the Odyssey got called back into service again.

Nice to have a reliable back-up tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
20231103_090335.jpg  
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #222

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
This cold winter has exposed what many owners have said about EVs and the cold.
Norway has greater than 80% adoption. I watch a channel where this guy regularly drives up to the Arctic Circle in the dead of winter and sleeps in his EV up there.

Quote:
I saw a cold power alert in Alberta. They are asking people not to use portable heaters and cut off all unnecessary electric items, including light bulbs, and use the microwave to cook only, etc. Because of the strain on the power grid.
I retired from an electric company. The power grid is decades overdue for upgrades. We are no longer building Nuclear Power plants, where will the power come from.
Youíre from Canada? Donít know about up there, but here in the States we won WWI, WWII, the Cold War (along with you and all our allies), and put a man on the moon. I think we can upgrade our grid. In fact the IRA is doing just that as we speak.

Quote:
The RV business will go out of business. Not everyone can afford an EV besides towing one. Then having to unhook to charge your car every 100 miles.
Check back next year, Chevy has an onslaught of cheap EVís releasing now. And youíre way out of date on your charging thing - Iím getting a Silverado with 500 miles range.

Quote:
The resale value of a used EV has collapsed. The expense of a battery replacement is too risky.
Now weíre getting silly

Quote:
EVs have 70% more problems than Gas vehicles.

Iíve had my EV for the last seven years. I replaced two tires and the 12V battery.

Blah blah blah Ö
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 07:41 PM   #223

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We are heating and cooling our home with geothermal.
This knocked my propane use down to 250 gallons per year from over 1,000 gallons. We are charging our Bolt EUV with electricity generated by our 7.6 kWh solar array, and only paying 42 cents day for being on the grid. Since November I’ve driven the Highlander 2,500 miles and the Bolt 9,450 miles. The charging is done at our home with an install that was part of the deal with Chevrolet. My cruising range will take me to the Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and the Missouri border and back without a recharge. The battery is guaranteed to be 80 percent efficient at 100,000 miles or 8 years and I can pass every gas station without spending any money. I do stop and use their windshield washing equipment and dump my car trash.

At 76 I’m proud of my reduction of my carbon footprint. We are over halfway on our 6.2 year payback on the solar install and thank the governments of the USA and Iowa for the over $10,000 in tax credits. Thanks for that. Went to town for a little ice cream tonight and drove around the old neighborhood where my wife and I grew up and raised our kids. Cost for gasoline on that 25 mile trip ZIPPO.

Summertime and the living is easy, fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high. My life is rich and my wife is good lookin’. So hush all you doubters this old Bohemie boy will figure out how to get by. With apologies to George and Ira Gershwin
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6623.jpg   IMG_6624.jpg  

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #224

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
In 1905 those with horses and carriage still laughed at the horseless carriage. Henry Ford released the Model T in 1908 (think Tesla T). By 1925 people enjoyed more time since they didn't have to maintain their horses (anyone with a horse knows what that entails). Don't stick your head in the sand too deep.

We have a 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 that so far converts to $1.70 gasoline. We drive long distances all the time and know where to charge. Except for our trailer we don't need an ICE truck. Perhaps in 10 years an affordable EV truck will be out that can pull our 25RQ Bigfoot. I'll be 85 then, and thinking I may have to stop pulling a trailer (or even remember we have a trailer?).

This is why I prefer to use pencils,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 10:42 AM   #225

Indiana
Registry
Towing to Deep Creek Campground

Our first EV tow of 2024 was to Deep Creek Campground, Bryson City, NC. This is a Great Smoky Mountains National Park Campground, so no water or electricity at the campsite.
We decided to detour a bit on the first day by heading to Indianapolis for a visit with kids (and a camp out in their large driveway). They offered a spare bedroom, but we love the bed in our Trillium). We had left our house with 100% charge, but had to tow through a strong thunderstorm, leaving us with just 10% after the 132 mile tow (480 Wh/mi). The nearby Carmel Supercharger had just opened a few days earlier, so I dashed over (sans camper) for a 20 minute charge to 66% for $15.04.
We left early the next morning and stopped to charge five times. We only had to unhook once at a relatively busy Five Guys in Powell, TN where we also had lunch. Total charging time was 132 minutes, but lunch and bathroom breaks covered much of that time.
We arrived at our campsite with 35% remaining. The next morning we stopped at a Shell Recharge in Cherokee, NC on our way up to Clingmans Dome to try out non-Tesla fast charging. Our total charging cost was $108.96 for the 617 mile tow. Average energy usage was 468 Wh/mi.
Attached Thumbnails
20240526_165751-1.jpg   20240527_054916.jpg  

20240527_080040.jpg   20240527_094403.jpg  

20240527_105907.jpg   20240527_130328.jpg  

20240528_142002.jpg  
Old 06-06-2024, 11:08 AM   #226

Iowa
Nice photos Steve. Thanks for the report. As you can read, we bought the Bolt since we last saw you and are liking what we are using it for. Last year at Sullivan my wife, daughter and her kids went to the Goat Tower. They had a great time and my wife got a tour of their Rivian pickup. She really liked the truck. I look for costs to moderate and the gaps to fill in over the next few years. Hope you have a great camping this summer.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Old 06-06-2024, 01:28 PM   #227

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Nice photos Steve. Thanks for the report. As you can read, we bought the Bolt since we last saw you and are liking what we are using it for. Last year at Sullivan my wife, daughter and her kids went to the Goat Tower. They had a great time and my wife got a tour of their Rivian pickup. She really liked the truck. I look for costs to moderate and the gaps to fill in over the next few years. Hope you have a great camping this summer.
Iowa Dave and Rita
Dave,
Beth and I were talking about the Rivian pickup up this morning. We like buying used vehicles and are hoping that the used R-1T prices will come down in a couple years or so, especially the high range models. We look forward to hearing more of your adventures with the Bolt.
Steve
Old 06-06-2024, 02:15 PM   #228

Name: Amanda
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
This is really helpful. My primary vehicle is a Tesla Model X which has lifetime free supercharging, so I would like to use it whenever possible to tow my new 16' Scamp. I have been having a little range anxiety using it as my tow vehicle and 450-490 wh/m is not as bad as I feared although without a trailer I average about 310-330 wh/m which likely is more than your Y. It sounds like 130 miles between charges is very doable. I am going to go back through the thread to glean any pearls of wisdom towing with an EV, but I am all ears and appreciative of the real-world report.
Amanda in OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 02:46 PM   #229

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda in OR View Post
This is really helpful. My primary vehicle is a Tesla Model X which has lifetime free supercharging, so I would like to use it whenever possible to tow my new 16' Scamp. I have been having a little range anxiety using it as my tow vehicle and 450-490 kwm is not as bad as I feared although without a trailer I average about 310-330 kwm which likely is more than your Y. It sounds like 130 miles between charges is very doable. I am going to go back through the thread to glean any pearls of wisdom towing with an EV, but I am all ears and appreciative of the real-world report.
Amanda, welcome to the EV towing thread!
I'm excited to hear your real-world towing experiences with your Model X / Scamp partnership. We started with relatively short tows of 30 to 60 miles until we gained confidence. It wasn't long until we realized that the range projections within the navigation app are quite accurate, as long as you drive in a consistent manner. We also appreciate the energy use graphs that show expected range based upon the last 5, 15, or 30 miles driven. This was a great learning tool, but not something we use often now.
I hope that you find useful information here, that's why I take the time to document our experiences, good and bad.
I hope that you share your experiences here so that others can learn as well.
Steve
Old 06-12-2024, 07:35 PM   #230

Indiana
Registry
towing home from Deep Creek Campground

We departed our campsite at Deep Creek Campground, Great Smokies National Park, and after a short drive arrived at a Shell Recharge station in Cherokee, NC. We arrived with 33% charge and took on 26.8 KWh in 22 minutes which cost $12.19 and gave us 65% battery, sufficient to take us up and over Newfound Gap Pass.
When we crested Newfound Gap, we had dropped to only 44% in those 19 miles, but by the time we reached Pigeon Forge, we were back to 49%. I watched the brake controller screen and rarely saw the trailer brakes come on during that steep and winding descent. The graph is deceptive, as it does not show the entire ascent from Cherokee, but it reflects the extremes of energy use and regeneration that occurred.
We arrived at the Powell, TN Supercharger with 23%. This time we just pulled along the chargers since the Five Guys was not open. The only cars parked at the Superchargers were ICE cars visiting another business. We charged to 74% in 22 minutes ($13.28) and were on our way.
We made it to our favorite Supercharger with 6%. We love the multiple pull-through lanes at the London, KY Supercharger, as well as the lovely people in the nearby state visitor center. We charged to 64% ($17.02) in 19 minutes.
We arrived at the Lexington Supercharger with 12%. This is a large charging site with some remote chargers that we had to ourselves. We charged to 73% ($17.39) in 23 minutes.
We arrived at Charlestown State Park Campground with 11%. This beautiful park is across the Ohio River from Louisville. We had never visited, so we took this opportunity to check it out and charge overnight on the 50A post. We had reserved a site that was listed as 50A electric, but when we plugged in, it only would give around 24A at 240v. The park staff verified the problem and moved us to a real 50A site.
We could have easily charged to 100% overnight, but we knew that we would have to make a charging stops midway up the state of Indiana. We left the campsite with 94% and arrived at the Spiceland, IN Supercharger with 19%. We had lunch and charged to 80% in 28 minutes ($18.24). This was a small Supercharger, but it was not busy, so we were able to charge without disconnecting.
We arrived home with a comfortable 12%.
Our energy cost for the trip home (including $30 campsite) was $108.12.
Attached Thumbnails
20240529_083342.jpg   20240529_094413~2.jpg  

20240529_110316.jpg   20240529_123802.jpg  

20240529_140558.jpg   20240530_064818.jpg  

20240530_124420.jpg   20240530_151715~2.jpg  

Old 06-12-2024, 08:11 PM   #231

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19'. Used to have a 2005 Scamp 16'.
Georgia
Registry
I spotted 3 EVs towing campers on my recent two week travels.
First was a Tesla pulling a Cricket camper.
Next was a Rivian towing a dual axle Grey Wolf in Sullivan IL at the 4B rally.
Yesterday I spotted a Tesla Cybertruck pulling a fiberglass camper North on I-75 in GA, it appeared to be either a large Burro or maybe an Eggcamper. I was too busy watching the Cybertruck going the other way to spend much time looking at the camper.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 05:48 AM   #232

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Currently I think that the technology has a way to go for towing a camper over a long distance or in more sparsely populated areas.
We have started traveling using Harvest Host sites that are "dry" so no hookups.
I wonder about the long term availability of 50 amp spaces for charging as the additional load with high power usage would reduce the profit of that space for the RV park owners.
I have considered a Plug In Hybrid since around town it would run mostly on (solar) electric power, but allow for our longer trips without the hassles of charging.
I have no idea how well a PHEV would work for towing.
We have used out Town and Country mini-van and it towed FranenScamp OK, but our Diesel VW Touareg is head and shoulders better!
Has anyone tried the new PHEV Pacifica?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 10:52 AM   #233

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19'. Used to have a 2005 Scamp 16'.
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Has anyone tried the new PHEV Pacifica?
I looked at the specs. The PHEV Pacifica is 500 lbs heavier, has a CVT transmission instead of the standard 9 speed, and is not rated for towing.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:00 AM   #234

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
Essential Charging Accessories for Towing

Hope itís ok to hijack this thread. We will starting towing our Scamp 16 with our model Y soon. If after a few weeks of short trips we like it, weíll use that combo go across the country and back. I expect many frustrations and challenges but I am committed to doing it. What are the essential charging accessories to be sure that we can charge at every opportunity? Iím thinking of campgrounds, random paid chargers, homes of kind souls, etc. Just want be ready to charge at every opportunity and at unplanned times. We currently have the NMEA 14-50 and 5-15, as well as the J1772 adapter. What others tend to get used the most? Are there suppliers besides Tesla that Tesla owners trust for these accessories?
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:17 PM   #235

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by biw314 View Post
Hope itís ok to hijack this thread. We will starting towing our Scamp 16 with our model Y soon. If after a few weeks of short trips we like it, weíll use that combo go across the country and back. I expect many frustrations and challenges but I am committed to doing it. What are the essential charging accessories to be sure that we can charge at every opportunity? Iím thinking of campgrounds, random paid chargers, homes of kind souls, etc. Just want be ready to charge at every opportunity and at unplanned times. We currently have the NMEA 14-50 and 5-15, as well as the J1772 adapter. What others tend to get used the most? Are there suppliers besides Tesla that Tesla owners trust for these accessories?
This is a perfect topic for this thread.
I charge at campgrounds alot, so our most frequently used adapter is the NEMA 14-50 that connects to the 50A campground outlet.
We also use the TT-30 adapter frequently, but only when there is only a 30A (120v) outlet at the campsite. This option works OK,especially if we are staying more than one night. This adapter is not currently available from Tesla, so we purchased ours from EVSEadapters.com.
Our next most commonly used adapter is the CCS Combo 1 that allows us to charge at CCS DC fast chargers. We usually stick to Tesla Superchargers when we are on the road, but we had a great experience with the Shell Recharge station on our last trip.
I don't think we have ever used the 5-15 adapter. I guess it would be OK to maintain the battery if we were in Camp Mode, but I would not expect to gain much charge.
Likewise, we haven't used the J-1772. I can picture opportunities to use these "destination chargers", but it has not happened for us in the past two years.
We recently purchased a NEMA 14-30 adapter from Tesla, just in case we might be offered access to a home dryer outlet.
The only other adapter that I might consider purchasing is for the NEMA 10-30 dryer plug. These are the 3-prong dryer outlets found in many older homes.

We also have a 30ft TT-30 extension cord that has been very helpful when the campsite electrical box is positioned far from the pad. I have considered getting a 14-50 extension cord for the same reason, but these are very expensive and very heavy.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
20240617_132359.jpg  
Old 06-17-2024, 04:01 PM   #236

Iowa
We usually charge our Chevy bolt at home. We had occasion to run to Ames iowa in the dead of winter. As you know the battery cannot go as far when it’s cold so to be on the safe side we charged at a public charge point charger in Ames to top the battery off. It was a city of Ames installation and as such only cost $.17 per kilowatt hour.
Also we charged one afternoon at the huge truck
Stop at Walcott Iowa. They had Tesla chargers and a charge point charger that we used. It was reasonably priced too. We’re waiting to see if Tesla and GM eventually make a deal to allow charging GM rigs at the Tesla sites. We are not towing like you are but are very much enjoying our Bolt. At home we are putting power into the grid with our 7.6 kWh solar array and were sized adequately to be able to handle all of our electrical demands and charge the bolt on our at Home generation most months. Best of luck on your trip. Don’t let charger anxiety beat you up. The campgrounds with electric hookups will be valuable to keeping you topped off each night. I’ve see a few “non campers” plugged in at campsites eating lunch at a table. Not
Sure whether they asked permission but they were plugged in while they ate lunch. Always good to ask if there’s an on site host. I’ve seen public parks listed as charge sites and when I checked them out it was apparent folks folks were charging off 120 circuits parking lot poles meant for Christmas decorations or with a drop cord running to a park pavilion. Very slow and not a legitimate charging source but would do in an emergency.
Iowa
Dave