Towing with an electric vehicle - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #121

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Towing home from 4B (Bo Wood Campground)

The trip home was into a steady 14 mph headwind, so we stayed below 65mph for the most part, and just above 55 mph for the last leg in order to avoid a third charging stop. All worked out well.
We left Bo Wood with 100% battery, arriving at the Veedersburg Supercharger with 17% remaining after 123 miles. I forgot to photograph this location, which was appropriate, as it was forgettable. We had to unhitch in a very cramped parking lot with very few level spots. We charged to 39% in six minutes, enough to get to our now-favorite Supercharger in Lafayette, which was only 41 miles up the road.
We arrived at the Lafayette Supercharger with 11% battery and charged again in one of the pull-through sites. By the time we had used the restroom and had lunch, the battery was at 91% and we were back on the road, spending 44 minutes total.
We passed a couple Superchargers on the way home, but were able to comfortably nestle into our garage with 8% remaining.
The trip home was 291 miles, averaging 480 Wh/mile, costing $41.13. This trip home was more expensive than the outbound, mostly because we were able to replenish free at the campground after arriving there and had to pay our residential rate when we returned home.
The round trip was 588 miles, using an average of 457 Wh/mile for a total cost of $68.44.
Attached Thumbnails
20230604_160551.jpg   20230604_191505.jpg  

Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:44 AM   #122

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Good report Steve. Nice to see you again and looking forward to your continued reports on your EV and Trillium combo. My wife, daughter and the grand kids went to the Goat Tower and had a good time. Those folks had a solar array and a Rivian Pickup. They are 100% electric on their estate, no propane natural gas, fuel oil or coal.
Have a great summer hope to see you at Algonac in September.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #123

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Good report Steve. Nice to see you again and looking forward to your continued reports on your EV and Trillium combo. My wife, daughter and the grand kids went to the Goat Tower and had a good time. Those folks had a solar array and a Rivian Pickup. They are 100% electric on their estate, no propane natural gas, fuel oil or coal.
Have a great summer hope to see you at Algonac in September.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Iowa Dave, I'm so glad you were able to stop and chat Sunday morning. Beth and I are looking forward to seeing you again at Algonac.
Steve
Old 06-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #124

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Yah. We have had highs of low 20ís and overnight lows of around 6 or 7 celcius. Jyst nice for camping.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #125

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hague View Post
Thanks Iowa Dave, I'm so glad you were able to stop and chat Sunday morning. Beth and I are looking forward to seeing you again at Algonac.
Steve
Hi: Steve Hague... My only advice is don't leave home without your "Charge card"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:24 PM   #126

Indiana
Registry
EV Tow to Pink Elephant Rally 2023

Thank you Kevin and Cindy for organizing this rally. We had a great time catching up with friends and meeting new fiberglass buddies.

We benefited from an approximate 12mph tailwind most of the way, using only 193 kWh on the 471 mile tow. We also used mostly secondary roads, keeping our speed to 55-65 mph.

We left home with 100% charge, travelling 159 miles to the Mokena, Illinois Supercharger and arriving with 19% remaining. We charged to 90% which took 53 minutes. We then drove on to our overnight camp at Rockcut State Park, arriving with 32% after 105 miles. Our campsite had 50 amp, so we were easily able to charge to 100% before leaving the next morning.

We arrived at the Dubuque Supercharger 105 miles later with 36% remaining. We did a quick top-off to 79% in 11 minutes, then drove 94 miles to our destination (Volga River State Recreation Area), arriving with a comfortable 18% remaining battery.

Charging cost for this 471 mile tow was $31.48 plus $25 for the campsite where we charged up overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
20230621_131050.jpg   20230621_171033.jpg  

20230622_142630.jpg   20230622_163900.jpg  

Old 06-27-2023, 12:44 PM   #127

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Nice account again Steve. Glad you had fun at the Iowa based Rally. Hopefully by next year they’ll have Pikes peak open again and with all new Electrical service. Parked by a black Tesla yesterday at a winery/distillery just south of us and looked but he did not have a hitch on that one.
Have a good Fourth of July. As Red I Kilowatt used to say “More power to you”.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:49 PM   #128

British Columbia
Great report Steve. Thanks. We just got back from 28 days on the road thru BC and out to the island. Did a lot of hiking on some amazing trails. We’ll post a trip report in a day or two. Still unpacking and reorging for the next trip in a few weeks but this time it’s only a four dayer.

Safe travels Steve.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:50 PM   #129

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Nice account again Steve. Glad you had fun at the Iowa based Rally. Hopefully by next year theyíll have Pikes peak open again and with all new Electrical service. Parked by a black Tesla yesterday at a winery/distillery just south of us and looked but he did not have a hitch on that one.
Have a good Fourth of July. As Red I Kilowatt used to say ďMore power to youĒ.
Iowa Dave

Thanks Iowa Dave, we keep hearing great things about Pikes Peak, so we'll sure try to make it next year and hope to see you there as well.
Steve and Beth
Old 06-27-2023, 02:22 PM   #130

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Pink Elephant Rally 2023

We left the Volga River State Recreation Area campsite with 98% charge. The wind had changed to westerly, so we had a 16mph tailwind to start, but since we planned to drive straight home, we cruised with the traffic and chose interstate highways for the most part. After 95 miles we arrived to the Dubuque Supercharger with 45% remaining and charged to 80%.
In another 104 miles we arrived at the Rockford Supercharger with 10% remaining and charged to 86% in 50 minutes (slower 150 kW charger).
We drove 124 miles to the Portage, Indiana Supercharger, arriving with 13%.
Here's where things get interesting. We charged to 77% and the Tesla navigation was now projecting that we had enough charge to make it home, 138 miles away. We headed toward home, but the projections started to change somewhat erratically, not something we had seen before. I got cold feet and decided to detour a few miles to the Michigan City Supercharger where we topped up to 90%. We made it home 124 miles later with 21% still in the tank.
In the end, I think the Tesla projection was correct, but there were no more Superchargers after Michigan City on our route home. We could have stopped at a number of cousins' farms along the way and plugged into their welder plugs.
This tow was 476 miles, using 204 kWh, averaging 429 Wh/mile.
We spent $61.44 on Supercharging and $8 in home current for this trip home.
Attached Thumbnails
20230624_103006.jpg   20230625_111142.jpg  

20230625_131538.jpg   20230625_162550.jpg  

Old 06-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #131

Indiana
Registry
more pictures, Michigan City Supercharger and trip summary
Attached Thumbnails
20230625_173718.jpg   20230625_214242.jpg  

Old 06-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #132

British Columbia
Love the pics.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:38 PM   #133

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I took a 5 day weekend trip last week... once I was out of the metropolis of the greater SF Bay Area, I took pretty much all back roads up around the east side of Mt Lassen, a quick stop in the small town of Chester to top off my diesel tank after about 300 miles. I spent the 5 days in the middle of a cattle ranch with no hookups, doing Astronomy each night with a few 100 friends....

Then I left, and went pretty much the same route home, one quick stop in Chester again to fill my tank again, and I still had 1/4 tank when I got home. Total distance traveled was about 800 miles there and back.

I just don't see an electric car or truck working out for my road trips... my Escape 21 trailer is 4500 lbs, and my truck's 8 ft. bed was full of telescope gear, awnings, carpets, tables, chairs, water, propane, and a BBQ.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:50 AM   #134

Indiana
Registry
We picked up our Tesla Model Y Long Range a year ago, so I tallied up our towing miles so far. We towed our Trillium 4500 4,634 miles of the odometer's 22,271 miles, so 20.8% of the EV miles were towing.
When we purchased the Model Y, we did not expect that it would be our exclusive tow vehicle, and it will not be. We are planning a trip to Big Bend National Park this fall, where there are limited electric campsites and no EV charging currently in this huge park, so we plan to use our Honda Odyssey. The Model Y is a far superior tow vehicle, in my opinion, being all-wheel drive and lower center of gravity, even though both have the same 3,500 pound towing capacity on paper. The Odyssey obviously has more cargo capacity, but we can still pack our two bikes, four chairs, canopy, coolers and more into the Model Y with the back seats folded down.
EV towing is not there for everyone, at least now, but it has worked much better for us than I expected. It will be exciting to see new vehicles with higher towing capacity come on the market, but I am wary of the sticker price. I am very hopeful that many more tow-friendly charging stations will become available in the not-too distant future.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:16 PM   #135

Indiana
Registry
Towing to Potato Creek and Triponds -2023

This is the same trip that we took on our first EV tow last year. I don't think that I recorded the efficiency data last year, but I have it this time. We had a slight crosswind traveling 55-60 mph on 2 lane highways. We left home with 90% charge, arriving at Potato Creek State Park with 42% remaining. This segment was an easy 88 miles, using 35 kWh for an average of 397 Wh/mile.
We easily recharged on the TT-30 campsite outlet with no issues.
We experienced some problems charging at the campsite when we arrived. The TT-30 campsite outlet was only providing 107v, so I stopped charging until later in the evening when there was higher voltage (then charging went fine).
We had traveled 215 miles on both legs of the trip, averaging 398 Wh/mile.
Attached Thumbnails
20230712_143939.jpg   20230713_124832.jpg  

20230714_161733.jpg  
Old 07-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #136

British Columbia
Informative. Thanks Steve.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:04 PM   #137

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I took a 5 day weekend trip last week...
I did that star party years ago - in a tent. My wife wasnít happy we were in a cow field, so that was the only star party

Assuming we get a rig when I retire in a few years weíll try it again, or at least I will

Quote:
I just don't see an electric car or truck working out for my road trips... my Escape 21 trailer is 4500 lbs, and my truck's 8 ft. bed was full of telescope gear, awnings, carpets, tables, chairs, water, propane, and a BBQ.
Not a problem with the Silverado EV. 10k towing, 450 mile range, 1.4k lbs hauling, and reporters are saying itís a better towing experience than ICE, due to the torque, low slung weight of the battery, and regeneration of the truck and trailer that doesnít use the brakes of either. Doesnít even need a weight distribution hitch, in fact GM recommends not having one, as the 9k weight and algorithms basically eliminate fishtailing. Very little squat too, maybe due to rear progressive coil springs.

Anyhow Iíve got a reservation for one and will get a Bigfoot to go with it, I hope. Everything has gotten stupid expensive so I donít know how the final numbers will come in.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #138

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
EVs will kill the RV business. Towing and charging every 100 miles will not be pleasant.
The road test range for towing has been poor.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #139

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I did that star party years ago - in a tent. My wife wasnít happy we were in a cow field, so that was the only star party

Assuming we get a rig when I retire in a few years weíll try it again, or at least I will

Not a problem with the Silverado EV. 10k towing, 450 mile range, 1.4k lbs hauling, and reporters are saying itís a better towing experience than ICE, due to the torque, low slung weight of the battery, and regeneration of the truck and trailer that doesnít use the brakes of either. Doesnít even need a weight distribution hitch, in fact GM recommends not having one, as the 9k weight and algorithms basically eliminate fishtailing. Very little squat too, maybe due to rear progressive coil springs.

Anyhow Iíve got a reservation for one and will get a Bigfoot to go with it, I hope. Everything has gotten stupid expensive so I donít know how the final numbers will come in.
Hi Dan. I think the 450 miles refers to non towing range. The towing range will depend on the size of the profile of the trailer, the weight and of course the speed one tows at. Same as a gas vehicle.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:32 PM   #140

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
EVs will kill the RV business. Towing and charging every 100 miles will not be pleasant.
The road test range for towing has been poor.
Nah. First of all there is nothing stopping someone from buying a gas or diesel 3/4 or half ton truck.

Second, EVís do fine with smaller lower profile trailers. Many people with little trailers are fine towing a couple hundred miles before needing a charge. Plus one can charge overnight in many campgrounds with services or EV specific charge facilities.

There are already lots of people towing with EVís. There will be more every year. And more RV manufacturers will maybe start paying attention to things like aerodynamics. Itís all good.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote