Towing with an electric vehicle - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2023, 06:31 PM   #161

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
The 3500 pound tow capacity of the tesla model Y is rated with car loaded to GVWR as per the manual. The weak link on the model Y is the 3500 pound hitch capacity. The model X uses a 5000 pound rated hitch.
the hitch and tongue weight is part of the payload thats added to the curb weight to arrive at the gross vehicle weight, whihc can't exceed the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) if the hitch assembly weighs 100 lbs, and the trailer has 350 lb tongue weight, you have to add 450 lbs to the rest of your actual payload including driver + passenger(s).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:38 PM   #162

Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the hitch and tongue weight is part of the payload thats added to the curb weight to arrive at the gross vehicle weight, whihc can't exceed the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) if the hitch assembly weighs 100 lbs, and the trailer has 350 lb tongue weight, you have to add 450 lbs to the rest of your actual payload including driver + passenger(s).
Correct. One must weigh the car with the trailer attached. We do this every third or fourth trip. We have a little left over capacity but we also only travel with two adults and a chihuahua. . Our hitch weight typically hangs around 335 pounds.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:02 PM   #163

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Curious how the Tesla handles trailer brakes. Does it come with a seven or three pin? If seven can you set the gain? What gain do they recommend?

GM recommends low gain and the Silverado EV will manage any sway, and you get more regen, so curious how that works for Tesla.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 07:07 PM   #164

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
Curious how the Tesla handles trailer brakes. Does it come with a seven or three pin? If seven can you set the gain? What gain do they recommend?

GM recommends low gain and the Silverado EV will manage any sway, and you get more regen, so curious how that works for Tesla.
Hi Dan.

The model Y (when equipped with tow package) has a 7 pin. It is pre-wired for break controller of your choice. We use a Tekonsha P3.

The trailer brakes are not activated on regen. One must actually apply the brake pedal. We keep a medium gain set, but really, even on a 12 percent grade the cars regen brakes do all the braking. Other than an emergency one never uses the brake pedal.

Hope that helps Dan.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:17 PM   #165
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Clarification.

Quote:
Patriots came 13, 16, and 17 feet. the latter two had a 3500 lb GWR, but a standard doesn't have a toilet, shower, or black tank, just a fresh water and grey tank for the kitchen sink. the deluxe version added the toilet/shower and black tanks.
Casitas came in 13, 16, and 17 ft models. ”Patriot” is the 13 ft.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:20 PM   #166

Mid Left Coast
oh, I thought the Patriot was one of the layouts, ooops (like Spirit, Liberty, etc).

guessing a 13' standard is under 2000 lbs with a usable payload. question: do those still require a class III 2" hitch receiver, or can you use a class II ?
Old 07-31-2023, 09:59 PM   #167

British Columbia
Quote:
oh, I thought the Patriot was one of the layouts, ooops (like Spirit, Liberty, etc).

guessing a 13' standard is under 2000 lbs with a usable payload. question: do those still require a class III 2" hitch receiver, or can you use a class II ?
Well, you can get class 2 hitches with 2 inch receivers so it’s kinda hard to answer.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:54 PM   #168

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Well, you can get class 2 hitches with 2 inch receivers so it’s kinda hard to answer.
I thought 2" was class III and IV, and 1.25" was class I and II ? I did some poking around with google, and near as I can tell, the Patriot 13' Casitas still had a 3500 lb GWR, but were only 1700-1800 lbs curb weight, although I did not see a definitive number for a 'standard'. Nonetheless, my earlier 2000 lb estimate for loaded seems a bit low, I'd target 2500 lbs with the usual clothing, cookware, food, water, beverages that you're likely to pack.
Old 08-01-2023, 07:05 AM   #169

British Columbia
I’m not an expert but I think the class is determined by weight capacity, not receiver size. I have seen a couple crossovers with class 2 hitches and 2 inch receivers. (I used to be in the business).

Anyway, for 2500 pounds a Tesla model Y would have no problem. We and many others tow more than that with no problem. The model Y is a towing beast.

Old 08-01-2023, 07:25 AM   #170

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That is correct. Class is weight capacity. In general the higher the class the larger the receiver tube, but there is overlap. Beyond 2”, there are also 2-1/2” and 3” receivers.

Class 2 can be 1-1/4” or 2”. 2” is more common and preferable in most situations because there are more drawbars and other accessories that fit. 1-1/4” might be preferred if there is limited clearance.
Yah that makes sense. I think the 1 1/4 receivers are commonly used on bike racks as well.

I kinda wish Tesla had put the 5000 pound model x hitch on the model Y. Marketing decision I suppose.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:24 AM   #171

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Yah that makes sense. I think the 1 1/4 receivers are commonly used on bike racks as well.

I kinda wish Tesla had put the 5000 pound model x hitch on the model Y. Marketing decision I suppose.
I deleted my earlier comment because every source I could find states that all Class 2 hitches are 1-1/4". Honda supplies a Honda-branded 2" receiver as a dealer accessory for the 3500# rated Odyssey. I'm guessing it's really a Class 3 hitch de-rated to match the vehicle's tow rating to avoid confusion.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #172

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I deleted my earlier comment because every source I could find states that all Class 2 hitches are 1-1/4". Honda supplies a Honda-branded 2" receiver as a dealer accessory for the 3500# rated Odyssey. I'm guessing its really a Class 3 hitch de-rated to match the vehicle's tow rating to avoid confusion.
Yah. Could be. I have seen hitches marked class 2 with a 2 inch receiver on Audis and Teslas (like ours) and on a minivan but not sure which one (or if it was stock). . But yah. Maybe they derated them for some reason.

Cheers.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:54 PM   #173

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
Towing to Port Sanilac, Michigan

Left home with 100% charged battery. Had a slight push from a southwest breeze. Mostly interstate at 60-70 mph. Stopped twice to charge, about 20 minutes each including lunch break. Stopped along the way to visit a friend who lives along the way. We endured a downpour for much of the trip, but it didn't seem to affect efficiency. We were really happy that we were able to use pull-in charges instead of having to unhook in the rain. We arrived at our destination with 21% charge remaining. We were allowed to plug into the NEMA 14-50 outlets while we displayed our camper at the Port Sanilac Vintage Car, Camper, and Boat Show. We used 116 kWh driving this 274 mile trip, paying $23.37 in charging fees. We probably could have just stopped once to charge, but stopping twice worked well for us this time.
Attached Thumbnails
20230817_091421.jpg   20230817_113815.jpg  

20230817_130604.jpg   20230817_170725.jpg  

Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #174

British Columbia
Thanks for the report Steve.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #175

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
nice thanks
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #176

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Port Sanilac, Michigan

We enjoyed three nights as guests of Port Sanilac. We were the only fiberglass RV in the vintage show, but we felt welcomed, especially by the gracious local residents. we enjoyed touring local museums, vintage automobiles, boats, and many beautiful old stickies.
We departed with 98% charge from our 50A plug.
Our first charge was a repeat, again taking advantage of an easy pull-in spot. We were on our way 24 minutes later. We were running into a headwind, but since we decided to have a second charging stop at lunchtime, we knew that we could travel the speed limit. As we approached our second charging stop, I received a phone call from a sticky friend travelling home from the same show. He had taken a "smoother" route home and was about 30 minutes behind me. One of his trailer wheels was hot and asked for help diagnosing the problem. I had all the tools to replace wheel bearings, but thankfully we determined that one of his trailer brakes had self-adjusted too tight. By the time our second charging session was complete (23 minutes), all was well and we continued home.
We arrived home with a comfortable 18% battery.
We travelled 267 miles, using 123 kWh and spending $27.82 on Supercharging.
Attached Thumbnails
20230820_065319.jpg   20230820_105233.jpg  

20230820_125917.jpg   20230820_145135.jpg  

Old 08-24-2023, 05:15 PM   #177

Indiana
Registry
Towing home from Port Sanilac, Michigan

We enjoyed three nights as guests of Port Sanilac. We were the only fiberglass RV in the vintage show, but we felt welcomed, especially by the gracious local residents. We enjoyed touring local museums, vintage automobiles, boats, and many beautiful old stickies.
Our first charge was a repeat, again taking advantage of an easy pull-in spot. We were on our way 24 minutes later. We were running into a headwind, but since we decided to have a second charging stop at lunchtime, we knew that we could travel the speed limit. As we approached our second charging stop, I received a phone call from a sticky friend travelling home from the same show. He had taken a "smoother" route home and was about 30 minutes behind me. One of his trailer wheels was hot and asked for help diagnosing the problem. I had all the tools to replace wheel bearings, but thankfully we determined that one of his trailer brakes had self-adjusted too tight. By the time our second charging session was complete (23 minutes), all was well and we continued home.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:20 AM   #178

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hague View Post
We enjoyed three nights as guests of Port Sanilac. We were the only fiberglass RV in the vintage show, but we felt welcomed, especially by the gracious local residents. We enjoyed touring local museums, vintage automobiles, boats, and many beautiful old stickies.
Steve, what is your approximate range in miles (from 100% to 0%) when towing the Trillium? Not that you'd ever want to run it to zero, of course.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #179

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa

Thanks for the report on your latest adventure. Pretty interesting to display the old with the new. Bet there were some interesting comments. Looking forward to seeing you at Algonac.

Speaking of the old meets the new here’s a picture my wife took in Western Nebraska a few days ago.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
35348EBD-DCBA-4662-B8BE-1B57D179D595.jpeg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 11:40 AM   #180

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Steve, what is your approximate range in miles (from 100% to 0%) when towing the Trillium? Not that you'd ever want to run it to zero, of course.
Mike,
On "average", I would expect to have a range of around 170 miles, driving in my normal fashion. This is based upon the 19 trips that I have recorded with a mean of 445 Wh/mile and mode of 435 Wh/mile (range 381-549). This is assuming the total available energy stored in my Tesla Model Y Long Range is 78 kWh.
This is the first time that I have pulled these numbers together, so thank you for the question. My intuition was that we averaged around 450 Wh/mile towing, so the result is not far off.
We have travelled in excess of 150 miles before charging several times without much anxiety.
In practice, we only charge to 100% for the first leg of the day and let the Tesla route planner suggest the most efficient charge limit based upon available Superchargers and efficient charge curves, which usually means travelling around 100 miles and arriving with a comfortable margin.