Toyota 4Runner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Toyota 4Runner

As a tow vehicle? Thoughts? I’m looking for a replacement for my Ram 1500.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
As a tow vehicle? Thoughts? I’m looking for a replacement for my Ram 1500.
It will be great for a 1000 lb utility trailer.. it will be terrible for a 33 foot Airstream Classic model (at over 8,200 lbs). Thats my opinion.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
I tow a 17’ escape w my 2012 4runner. Wouldn’t want to tow anything over the 19’ with this vehicle. 5000# tow capacity. Added air bags to rear to offset rear sag.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
I tow a 17’ escape w my 2012 4runner. Wouldn’t want to tow anything over the 19’ with this vehicle. 5000# tow capacity. Added air bags to rear to offset rear sag.

I should have included that I tow an Escape19 with a gvwr of 4000 pounds.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You won't like the results, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Check the payload limit of your 4Runner. That's what gets those of us towing with smaller vehicles. I tow with a 98 Tacoma, 5000# towing limit. My trailer is around 3,000#. However with a ~300# tongue weight, plus everything in my truck, when I'm very liberal in adding up the weight of all my crap, I figure I'm about 100# over the payload limit.

If you're getting up toward your tow limit, and over your payload limit, it's starting to get a little sketchy.

You've got to do the math on the payload.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Our tug is a '17 4Runner and we like it quite well.
Our 17' Casita LD is tongue-heavy - with full propane tanks, it comes in at 450# - but this is within the 500# tongue weight limit. I've added airbags to keep things more level, but don't use a WDH. We have >20K miles towing with this setup, and it's fine. We have adequate power, good handling, and mileage that runs 13-16 when towing, and 17-20 when not. The differences with your setup would be a bit more weight, but also more sail area. Strong crosswinds (SoCal passes with wind sometimes 50 MPH) have been no problem, but the Casita's profile is smaller than an Escape. Ideally, renting or borrowing a 4Runner to try it out might be the ticket. They come with plug and play for brake controllers, and the hitch receiver is already there, so a dealer could work with you on this if they wanted to make the sale. I see folks towing 21' Escapes, but I'm not sure I would want to do that, even though it's within tested SAE J2807 spec to do so. Just a personal risk calculation.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I have an 07 4Runner and 07 Tacoma. both have 4 wheel drive. The longer wheel bade on the Tacoma makes it a much better tow vehicle. The Tacoma has a higher tow weight rating, but the longer wheel base is what does it for me.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'd be interested to see where everyone's payload numbers came out. I don't have the math I did anymore, but it's clear most of these small vehicles aren't meant to tow much. A 5,000# tow limit sounds great, till you realize that with two people, a full tank of gas and a cooler of food, you're already at your payload limit.

I think if you have a good feel for vehicles, you can tell if you're overloaded. My old motorhome was dangerously overloaded, from the factory. With my truck, mostly I'm shortening its life towing a trailer whose size and weight Toyota didn't really intend, at least for common use. As to safety, I've towed up and over a lot of steep passes, through winds and through city traffic. I've had to slam the brakes in town, and keep it under control in those high winds and steep downhills. It's always been under control.

But I think it's worth going through the exercise of adding up how much weight you'll realistically have in your vehicle, including passengers, when you'll be towing. If you know you're 500# over your payload limit, your driving style will likely be much more conservative.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #9

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I'd definitely put the 4runner in the "adequate but not overkill" range. You'll want to check the door sticker to be sure, but I bet you'll be in good shape on payload unless have a lot of gear or people in it. A quick googling implies the 4runner's payload is usually in the 1500-1700lb range, which is comparable to a half-ton truck. The motor will be a little short on power for high-altitude climbs, but it'll still get the job done at slightly lower speeds (~50-55MPH climbing towards the Eisenhower tunnel, which is the toughest spot in the interstate system)
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:15 PM   #10

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Bumping this because I have been thinking of replacing my aging F150. I checked out some new 4Runners at the dealer today. A plain SR5 had a payload of 1100# and the lower level TRD was only 800#. Was sort of discouraged though I might be able to live with the SR5 limits. Also, they don't have Tow/Haul mode which I appreciate on the F150. Trailer is a 17' Casita. Appreciate hearing from anyone with relevant experience, current 4Runner and similar trailer. Thanks!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #11

Oregon
We have the combination you're looking at, with 20K miles of experience towing. It's worked well. The 4Runner has adequate power for mountain passes, and its handling is quite good. The rear sagged a couple of inches when we first hooked up; in the interest of safety and performance, I added air bags and Rancho RS9000 rear shocks. No accessory trans cooler is required. We pulled up out of Laughlin, Nevada in near 90 degree weather, and the 4Runner didn't break a sweat, even with AC on. Due to the high tongue weight of the 17' Casita (ours is 450# with full propane tanks) and stuff we brought along, we did take the rear axle capacity to within 100# of its rating. But it performs well.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #12

Tennessee
Thanks! Do you find the mirrors OK for towing the Casita?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #13

Oregon
Yes, the standard mirrors were just fine. If you do buy a brand new one, don't tow anything for the first 1000 miles. The rear end needs to bed in. We got mileage from 13-17 when towing (17-21 when not).
Old 12-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #14

Tennessee
Old 12-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Bumping this because I have been thinking of replacing my aging F150. I checked out some new 4Runners at the dealer today. A plain SR5 had a payload of 1100# and the lower level TRD was only 800#. Was sort of discouraged though I might be able to live with the SR5 limits. Also, they don't have Tow/Haul mode which I appreciate on the F150. Trailer is a 17' Casita. Appreciate hearing from anyone with relevant experience, current 4Runner and similar trailer. Thanks!
Have you considered a Lexus GX-460? Same general size and frame and Toyota build quality but with a V8 and 6-speed transmission... and of course more bells and whistles.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #16

Tennessee
That does have some pluses, for sure. V8, full time AWD, Torsen.... Never thought of myself as a luxury brand type of guy, though.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
A lot of guys are picking up used GXs for off-road use since used 4Runners are so expensive, and the more attractive drivetrain. But yeah, they don't have that rugged aesthetic, at least not until you get rid of the lower cladding and put some more aggressive tires on there. But they work well off road.

I attended FJ Summit in July 2019 and there were at least 30 built up GXs there.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote