Toyota Corolla towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Toyota Corolla is rated to tow 1500 lb. The Scamp 13 ft. is about 1300 lb. anyone there with any experience in towing with a similar car?

Haven't bought either but want a smaller carbon footprint. (Can't afford a big one anymore)

They claim a very good milage per gal. for the Toyota Corolla (same as the Echo_Yaris) on the highway. I assume this will go down quite a bit with the trailer.

We also considered the Casita but it weighs a lot more. Just sold my old 1980 Dodge Camper (my Baja special)

Any advice appriciated

Manny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Manny,

Is this a new Toyota Corolla? Also, does your manual state if you need electric brakes or not? I think a loaded scamp would be closer to 1500-1700lbs loaded depending on what options it has.

Cheers From the Comox Valley
Booker

Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I wouldn`t tow with a new Corolla because the manual says that towing a trailer will have an adverse effect on handling, performance, braking, durability and fuel consumption....it`s the durability I`d have a problem with........also brakes are required at 1000 lbs or more .......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H
I towed my 1973 Boler with my 2004 Toyota Corolla and the pull was awesome - did not even feel it behind me. Traveled nicely at 100klm - although I am sure it would be lighter then the scamp.

Robin
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
I towed my 1973 Boler with my 2004 Toyota Corolla and the pull was awesome - did not even feel it behind me. Travelled nicely at 100klm - although I am sure it would be lighter then the scamp.

Robin
Sounds like a great combo, Robin. What kind of mileage did you get while towing?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I normally tow my 13` and 17` Bolers with a full size pickup and may try my 09`Corolla for the 13`...will have to put a axle with brakes under the 13` ......will weigh the costs of the axle change and also lowering the weight of the 13` Boler ......don`t know where to keep everything that I haul in the truck box.....also a bit sceptical as to how the Corolla will handle the trailer if things start happening....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
We used to tow an 8' popup trailer (1200 lbs) with our 04 Toyota Matrix (same drivetrain and platform as the Corolla) and it did just fine. I noticed several Matrix's being used as tow vehicles for small fg trailers at the recent Emily meet in Ontario. Other than taking it off of overdrive on anything but level terrain and being as gentle as possible on acceleration and braking, I think they tow just fine and are very reliable vehicles. On top of that I used to get 30 mpg towing (compared to 37 not towing) - hard to argue with that!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I think the biggest issue with these small cars is stopping the trailer, not pulling it. Our Forester is a heavier car then the Corolla or Matrix and I would not want to be doing a panic stop without trailer brakes.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have a 2006 Corolla and I personally wouldnt consider towing anything with it.. My thought is they are not made for towing, unless its a small utility trailer... I towed with a Suzuki Grand Vitarga when I had my 13 Scamp tho with no problems, but I didnt tackle big hills or anything..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would NEVER tow with a Corolla if its a automatic. Transmission will be toast in no time. These are very good cars but not made to tow.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I wouldn`t tow with a new Corolla because the manual says that towing a trailer will have an adverse effect on handling, performance, braking, durability and fuel consumption....it`s the durability I`d have a problem with........also brakes are required at 1000 lbs or more .......Benny
Find me ANY owner's manual today (for less than a substantial truck) where the lawyers have NOT written warnings int the towing section. Our society is ruled by the motto: "Let thyself not be sued." A ladder manufacturer recently commented that it's virtually impossible to manufacture a ladder today under 5ft because there is not room on it for all the warnings the attorneys demand.

I WOULD install a transmission cooler, and switch to synthetic fluid if the manufacturer sanctions it. I would also go to the most viscous synthetic engine oil allowed by your vehicle. While many vehicles advocate 5-20 or 0-30 synthetic oil, I would consider switching to Rotella synthetic 5w40 diesel oil (which is ALSO gas engine rated) because it has a superior additive package in all regards.

I believe that towing 1500 pounds with a Corolla will not serious shorten its life since it's a rare owner who puts more than 10% of his mileage while towing. I strongly suspect that stop and go city driving, and very short drives (less than 5 miles) are harder on a Corolla than freeway towing at modest speeds (55 or so).

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
I'm in my second summer towing a 13' Scamp with a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Matrix clone based on the Corolla platform but with a stiffer suspension)... it tows beautifully - very stable. We climbed high into the Sierras again this past month with no problems.

I AM careful to take it out of overdrive. I am also careful to keep the rpms up to help keep the tranny cool. I do my own shifting with the automatic. I pack very lightly and am careful about balancing the weight in the trailer. I have confidence in the Toyota powertrain but I change the oil a lot and use Mobil 1. Transmission fluid shows no sign of overheating or excess wear.

I'm a pretty firm believer in sticking very close to the 55 speed limit, though I do let it creep up closer to 60 if I've got a little tailwind. I get about 24 mpg with the rig. I am very happy! The power is adequate - climbed the very steep Sherwin Grade at about 47mph at 4400 rpms... no sign of overheating... I do try to drive when it is cool and plan my trip to avoid high wind hours (common in the Mojave). I don't drive tired.

Beating my way thru So Cal traffic to get out of town, I almost got clipped by a madman hauling cars up out of the Port of Long Beach. Emergency manuevers were handled with aplomb.

My theory is that towing with a small car, I've got to be extra aware of safe towing practices and then DO THAT. oh, I have BRAKES! wouldn't tow without 'em... works for me.

( to Patrick! The Scamp is great!)
Attached Thumbnails
rig.jpg  
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
We just got rid of our 2001 RAV4 (with a 1500lb tow rating) that had a hard time dragging itself up a hill without any trailer attached. A recent Corolla with more "horses" and the same tow rating might actually have been better for the task. I think real life towing performance varies a great deal from one vehicle to another regardless of whether they fall in the same tow rating category. But opinions on towing capabilities are a dime a dozen - seems like it's basically a matter of who you choose to believe until you gain your own experience and start answering your own questions. Whether or not pulling more than the limit can get you in trouble - knowingly or not, as many people are uninformed about the real weight of their trailer - is another story.