Toyota Prius Hybrid 40k miles 2006 tie Erina Puck 1968? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Ria
Trailer: Erina Puck, Love bug
Virginia
Toyota Prius Hybrid 40k miles 2006 tie Eriba Puck 1968?

Greetings!
I'm on a tablet which isn't allowing me to search this forum. Apologies if this has been covered.

I have a tiny 1968 Erina Puck which is around 500Kg or 1000 pounds. I travel fairly lightly in my 1973 Lovebug keeping The weight down.

The owners manual says no towing with this nice, older car, but PriusChat members sport several who tow with this model and up to 2300 pounds.

Anyone here tow with this car?

Thank you!

OilPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Seems like an easy way to ruin a nice car. We've been happy with our Prius for 10 years but even a bike on the back is noticeable. The CVT would rule out towing for me even if the power was adequate. If Toyota says "no towing" I'd be hesitant to believe I knew better
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
So your choice is clear, believe the manufacturer or believe people on the internet. Copying others mistakes is not advisable IMHO. But hey, I'm just another person on the internet,
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Before you tow with a prius you should beef up the suspension pull out the synergy drive and drop in a hemi! Toyota says no. Prius is the most reliable vehicle out there and has super economy, but is not a TV!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
There is a 2016 model of Prius that has an actual tow package available. Maximum towing capacity of 1,598 lbs. but that was in Europe, they did not offer it in the USA. I don't know if they are still offering it as an option in the European market. I have not researched that and won't be looking for it as I don't own a Prius so have no personal interest in going hunting for it. But from the article I would conclude that changes were made in 2016 to the heat management system to allow for towing. Previous models very likely should not attempt towing as perhaps it could cause overheating. This also brings up the question of did those changes that happened in 2016 even get applied to the Prius being sold in North America? Despite not being able to get online you had better take the time to find out for sure before you try towing with a Prius of the appropriate age meaning post 2016 and not previous to that year.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/t...ng-capability/

quoted from the linked article:
"Prius's new-found ability is thanks to heat management measures that have been introduced in the hybrid system's main electric motor-generator and the differential. As a result, the car has a maximum towing capacity of 725kg for both braked and unbraked trailers.

Customers can equip their Prius with towing hitches and wiring systems from Toyota's official range of accessories. These are designed to be simple and easy to operate, with clear red and green indicators to shown when a secure connection has been made. When the towing arm isn't in use, it can be unclipped and stored in a dedicated bag in the boot of the car. Most of the connecting hardware is concealed behind the lower lip of the rear bumper, so the clean lines of the rear of the car are preserved."
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #7

Virginia
Fantastic! Thanks so much! Tomorrow I'll respond to all of you fabulous people!

This place ROCKS!
Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
flat

for the most part Europe is pretty flat he might be able to do it. After all I spotted a 13f Scamp being tugged by a Volkswagon Beetle tdi, I own one I wouldn't do it!

we see strange things every day. His car up to him I guess!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A thousand pounds is three or four football players. I’ve driven a work Prius (2nd gen.) in the mountains with a full load of normal-sized adults and it struggled, completely draining the battery during a long uphill climb. Then you’re left with only the underpowered gas engine. I will say the regenerative braking held it back nicely coming down the other side, but it’s loud.

Unlike carrying a heavy load inside the vehicle, pulling a trailer also wrecks the aerodynamic profile, so it will drain the battery even faster.

I wouldn’t do it with anything heavier or larger than a motorcycle tent trailer.

There are other hybrids more suitable for towing in part because they have the same gas engine as the non-hybrid models. The RAV4 hybrid is rated to tow 1750# and the Highlander hybrid for 3500#. Either would work well with your Eriba Puck.

The CVT in Toyota hybrids is not the same belt-and-pulley system used in conventional gas-only models. Not even close.
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/hybrid-car7.htm
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I say go for it, understanding that the performance would necessarily be limited.
I wouldn't be worried about the transmission as it is pretty reliable.
The limit might be the on line battery reserve in high load conditions.
If you stayed to fairly level ground and short trips you might be happy.
I put close to 200K miles on a 2002 and had almost no problems, but I did have to replace the traction battery at about 183K.
I gave the car to may son who wrecked it within a week so...
You take a chance, but that is life sometimes
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I don't know if you are interested in switching vehicles but Toyota equips it's Rav4 hybrid sold here in the US with an optional tow package and a 1750 lb tow rating. Here is a review with an actual climbing test of a 2019 model towing up a long grade at capacity.

Note that when climbing a long grade under load, this hybrid only gets only down to earth, non hybrid type fuel economy. However I was pretty impressed with the performance. I am thinking about buying one myself but would only pull a small teardrop trailer or a box trailer that I own.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
I have two questions

1) Does the Eriba Puck have trailer brakes ?
2) Does the Prius have sufficient braking to stop both the vehicle and the trailer ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have two questions

1) Does the Erica Puck have trailer brakes ?
2) Does the Prius have sufficient braking to stop both the vehicle and the trailer ?
You've actually identified one of the strengths of a hybrid. With both regenerative and friction braking working together, plenty of stopping power, and excellent speed-holding on downhill grades. Add trailer brakes (which I doubt any Puck has) and you'd be the safest towed rig on the highway!

Just not this particular hybrid (2nd gen. Prius), which has no tow rating in North America.

Erica, Erina, Eriba… who is she?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

Virginia
WOW! You all do not disappoint! Thank each one of you for your reply.

I've decided to put an hitch on the Prius and will use the tow for getting my camper to my friends place for summer storage (air conditioned!) and to haul around my art. It's pretty flat in Phoenix.

I just changed battery packs, spending around $2000 and now get 49 to 60 mpg. The car is in great condition so I think I'll rent a vehicle for mountain driving. Why take a chance on my sweet little car? 😊

When I'm ready to buy another vehicle, I will look at the ones you suggested here. Thank you!

Thank you all so much. The Forum Rocks!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #15

Missouri
beef up

I almost bet you are going to have to put some stronger shocks or struts on the rear of your car. Our ford edge had to have some work such as air bags to really handle the weight and its only 120lb or so on the hitch..

So far so good it sounds interesting if you can but I doubt it hold it out of the top end of shifting! so your transmission will run cooler! I wouldn't run a/c either!

good luck

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilPainter View Post
WOW! You all do not disappoint! Thank each one of you for your reply.

I've decided to put an hitch on the Prius and will use the tow for getting my camper to my friends place for summer storage (air conditioned!) and to haul around my art. It's pretty flat in Phoenix.

I just changed battery packs, spending around $2000 and now get 49 to 60 mpg. The car is in great condition so I think I'll rent a vehicle for mountain driving. Why take a chance on my sweet little car? ��

When I'm ready to buy another vehicle, I will look at the ones you suggested here. Thank you!

Thank you all so much. The Forum Rocks!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #16

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I almost bet you are going to have to put some stronger shocks or struts on the rear of your car. Our ford edge had to have some work such as air bags to really handle the weight and its only 120lb or so on the hitch..

So far so good it sounds interesting if you can but I doubt it hold it out of the top end of shifting! so your transmission will run cooler! I wouldn't run a/c either!

good luck

bob
The Prius transmission never shifts ans has only one "gear" or more properly it is a planetary gear and is always engaged and the ratio is determined by the speed of one of the electric motors.
There is no reverse gear as the electric motor just drives it backwards.
The transmission basically operates to keep the engine at it's peak torque point and thus delivers better fuel economy.
The last thing I would worry about would be the transmission in any but the very earliest of the 2002s. They had a bushing instead of a bearing for the main shaft.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #17

Missouri
i didnt believe it but it was true

not long ago I saw a 13f scamp parked at our local McDonalds. so of course I had to dash in to see it. Whoa a 13f Scamp tugged by a 1998 Volkswagon nb tdi!

I talked to him he was from the flatlands of Iowa in Missouri he had just left Columbia Mo where he had some work done. He didn't tell me what it was but he was doing it. Hills and all!

Now I haven't seen him again or heard any stories but I am betting that Volkswagon hasn't held up a diesel to boot. I have one it pulls itself barely at times! LOL

This Prius is going to be a story if he does it I hope he keeps us informed as he goes along. I have a big Suzuki motorcycle that would tug it but I really don't know about the Prius!

We will see I wish him luck

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The Prius transmission never shifts ans has only one "gear" or more properly it is a planetary gear and is always engaged and the ratio is determined by the speed of one of the electric motors.
There is no reverse gear as the electric motor just drives it backwards.
The transmission basically operates to keep the engine at it's peak torque point and thus delivers better fuel economy.
The last thing I would worry about would be the transmission in any but the very earliest of the 2002s. They had a bushing instead of a bearing for the main shaft.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
If you want a hybrid that tows, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV will tow up to 1,500 lbs, as rated in Canada and the USA. I think the European version is rated to tow even more. We have had our Outlander PHEV for a only a month and have not towed with it yet. But we are going to pull our 1974 Boler, whch we have scaled and weighs just under 1,500.
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Eriba
Washington
I own a '68 Puck also. 600lbs dry. Pick it up easily hitch weight. Be careful. Many foreign cars have a tow rating outside of the US that is much higher than here. My 2019 CRV is rated for 1500lbs here, 1500kg (3300lbs) in Australia. Exactly the same car with a CVT transmission. I don't know if it's US liability law or what, but if you get into an accident, anyone you've hurt could easily say you were improperly towing a trailer with a vehicle that has a -0- tow rating. The worst dichotomy that I've seen is the Jetta TDI Wagon. -0- towing here, European Tow Vehicle of the Year in Europe!
billnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #20

Missouri
not seen

I have been to Europe many times we tent so we are stuck at campgrounds. I have seen many Mercedes tugging nice trailers strange to see!

I am pretty sure we have seen diesals tugging also but never a VW tdi. We owned 2 tdi s and take my word for it there is no way those cars can handle towing of much of anything.

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnieman View Post
I own a '68 Puck also. 600lbs dry. Pick it up easily hitch weight. Be careful. Many foreign cars have a tow rating outside of the US that is much higher than here. My 2019 CRV is rated for 1500lbs here, 1500kg (3300lbs) in Australia. Exactly the same car with a CVT transmission. I don't know if it's US liability law or what, but if you get into an accident, anyone you've hurt could easily say you were improperly towing a trailer with a vehicle that has a -0- tow rating. The worst dichotomy that I've seen is the Jetta TDI Wagon. -0- towing here, European Tow Vehicle of the Year in Europe!