Toyota Rav4 V6 and 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Toyota Rav4 V6 and 16' Scamp

My sweetie just got back from the Toyota dealer for out 40,000 mile (overdue!) checkup. This one included brakes and suspension. Since we've just concluded a 4,700 mile trip pulling the Scamp I was anxious to see if any problems had developed. The only thing they found was that the front brakes will need new pads in around 10,000 miles...and I'm pretty sure that's not related to the Scamp.

End conclusion? A Toyota Rav4 V6 with the towing upgrade (extra transmission radiator) is well suited to pulling a fully-loaded 16' Scamp!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oh boy, now you've started it.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #3

Minnesota
Registry
Hey, I need something to take my mind off my stupid computer that decided it didn't want to boot this morning*. It's trying to "repair" itself now.

*"You should've got a Mac comments should start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...."
Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Hey, I need something to take my mind off my stupid computer that decided it didn't want to boot this morning*. It's trying to "repair" itself now.

*"You should've got a Mac comments should start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...."
Or better yet, an Ipad
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
My sweetie just got back from the Toyota dealer for out 40,000 mile (overdue!) checkup. <cut> The only thing they found was that the front brakes will need new pads in around 10,000 miles...and I'm pretty sure that's not related to the Scamp.
That's interesting. I actually have gotten about 45,000 miles out of two different sets of front brake pads on my Outback towing a 16' as well - which is *a lot* less miles than I experienced with my last two Outbacks that were not towed with. Yup the trailer has good working brakes... hummmmm.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That's interesting. I actually have gotten about 45,000 miles out of two different sets of front brake pads on my Outback towing a 16' as well - which is *a lot* less miles than I experienced with my last two Outbacks that were not towed with. Yup the trailer has good working brakes... hummmmm.
Left foot braker?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
The V6 Rav and our G weigh about the same.

I replaced the brakes on our G35 5 years ago. I just did them again last month. I had 100,000 klm's (60,000mile) on that set and they had 20% left.

Infiniti rotors and Hawk HPS performance pads.

The trailer has 4, 12" brakes. A lot of braking power for a 4,500lb road ready trailer. When the trailer brakes are set up right there should be no extra wear on the tv when towing.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Honda Brake Pads

We've installed a set of brake pads on our Honda CRV at around 75,000 miles and another before we left NH at about 150,000 miles. Modern pads seem to last though in some measure it seems how and where you drive might be a large factor.

Today we just drove down from the rim of Crater Lake following a Ford pickup truck. He was riding his brakes so much that we had to pull over to prevent using ours.

Interestingly driving around the park, not towing, we're averaging about 33 mpg, it's all those down hill runs.

Crater Lake is a month place to see it all......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Left foot braker?
LOL sorry to disappoint you again Thomas if that was the case the other two would have gone through brakes as well .......
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've installed a set of brake pads on our Honda CRV at around 75,000 miles and another before we left NH at about 150,000 miles. Modern pads seem to last though in some measure it seems how and where you drive might be a large factor.
I suspect not wintering in the frozen north helps a lot .
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

Florida
Raz,

I'm light on the brakes, generally roll to lights and stop signs, use our manual transmission to keep control speed on long down hill runs, and certainly the east is relatively hill free. I imagine most standard brake pad material is the same across vehicles.

Possibly one other factor is that I change my own pads and wait until they really need changing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #12

Registry
I use my manual sport option as much as possible to slow things down as well and I suspect the fact I live on the side of a mountain doesnt help but as I indicated none of my previous vehicles have gone through front brakes as fast as the current one has. I actually talked to Subaru about it last month and they indicated that even though I was using good working brakes on the trailer I could expect to see a higher level of wear on the brakes so they were not as surprised by it as I am. I have also been towing the trailer a good 25% of the brakes life but I also dont wear them down until there nothing there - normally when I am told they are down to the 20% left I will change them. If I was to wear them right down I suppose I could could get another 20,000 or more out of them.... just not comfortable living on a steep hill and waiting to find out the hard way they really do need changing. ;-)
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

Florida
Carol,

Probably like you, we have yearly mandatory inspections, so I never wear them down to the warning scraper on the pads, but nearly so.

I believe there's plenty of miles left on the pad when the scraper begins to sound.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
When do you start heading back East again?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I actually talked to Subaru about it last month and they indicated that even though I was using good working brakes on the trailer I could expect to see a higher level of wear on the brakes so they were not as surprised by it as I am.

If set up optimally the trailer brakes will actuate slightly before the car brakes thus "assisting" the car with it's braking. This will actually reduce the brake wear in the TV.

This assumes the trailer brakes and their operation have the size and power to perform at this level.

Does the Subaru rep understand the braking power and properties of your particular trailer. Probably not.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #16

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
My sweetie just got back from the Toyota dealer for out 40,000 mile (overdue!) checkup. This one included brakes and suspension. Since we've just concluded a 4,700 mile trip pulling the Scamp I was anxious to see if any problems had developed. The only thing they found was that the front brakes will need new pads in around 10,000 miles...and I'm pretty sure that's not related to the Scamp.

End conclusion? A Toyota Rav4 V6 with the towing upgrade (extra transmission radiator) is well suited to pulling a fully-loaded 16' Scamp!
It sounds like your factory brakes are not up to the job if you only got 10,000 miles.

A set of slotted rotors and sticky pads would help greatly.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #17

Minnesota
Registry
@841J9 - That's 10,000 MORE miles from where it's at... and that's 42,000 miles. So, 52,000 or so miles on the pads.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
If set up optimally the trailer brakes will actuate slightly before the car brakes thus "assisting" the car with it's braking. This will actually reduce the brake wear in the TV.

This assumes the trailer brakes and their operation have the size and power to perform at this level.

Does the Subaru rep understand the braking power and properties of your particular trailer. Probably not.

Actually this particular Subaru rep does indeed know the particulars of the trailer and its brakes.... actually tows more miles than me with a similar set up. They were actually very helpful with good factual information in regards to what I needed to add to the vehicle and not add when I first was setting it up to tow to safely handle the trailer.

The trailer brakes are the correct size and in good condition - actually replaced the whole assembly a couple of years ago as I was concerned that perhaps they were the reason for the first set of front brakes going faster then expected -although I was told at the time they didnt look all that bad & they did seem to work fine. The new ones have been rechecked and adjusted more than once since and work *real* well - can bring the car all on their own to a real fast stop with no need for the boost function on the controller. The trailer brakes have also proven that they work really well in a hairy situation so I am not concerned at all about their set up or ability to stop the trailer. The controller is a P2 and I am happy with it as well. Having had the trailers brakes checked and replaced and adjusted and rechecked a few times since in an attempt to figure out why the front brakes are wearing, at this point no good explanation for it beyond the fact I do drive daily and tow in a very hilly area and tow more than your average week-end camper (about 12,000 miles last year - maybe more) am inclined to write it off as one of life's mysteries ;-)
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #19

Florida
Jim,

We're actually in the process. Returning to Seattle from Crater Lake to say goodby to our son and than heading east to Montana, Glacier Area, then south to Neveda's Ruby Mts for a wedding and east to Backus, MN the Scamp factory, probably around mid September and NH by Oct 1 or so.

A little hyefty pace for us but we have our annual physical in mid-Oct and always good to go as soon as possible after we return since our health is best then.

Really wishing you well with your Escape. Rease and Tammy were at the Oregon rally.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #20

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
@841J9 - That's 10,000 MORE miles from where it's at... and that's 42,000 miles. So, 52,000 or so miles on the pads.
Oops...

It was a rough morning.

Customers were being a real PITA.

A better set of brakes would still do some good. OEM brakes on non performance vehicles leave much to be desired.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp