Toyota Tundra 5.7 vs 4.6 V8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Toyota Tundra 5.7 vs 4.6 V8

I have decided on on 2012 Toyota Tundra with the sr5 package that includes the backup camera. Now I keep going back and forth in regards to the 5.7 and the smaller V8. Does anyone tow with one of these and what has been your experience. Thanks Everyone
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We went with the 4.6 L. It has a towing capacity of 8200 pounds which makes our EggCamper (almost) feel like it isn't even there. Make sure you get the very reasonably priced towing package for the full 8200 lb capacity however. The 4.6 doesn't get that much better mpg than the 5.7, (15/20 vs. 14/18 mpg), but the extra initial cost of the 5.7 was another determining factor for us, especially since we aren't hot-rodders. The 4.6 takes about one second more in 0-60 and about one car-length in the 1/8 mile, so it still has all the pep we need. I highly recommend you check out the Tundra forum where this question comes up a lot: Tundra
However, one warning, a great many of the people on that forum are young hot-rodders who desire all the power they can get. The 4.6 is basically the same engine as the 5.7 but with a shorter stroke, and a BIG improvement over the old 4.7 Tundra small V-8. If you ever think you might want to pull a heaver trailer, then the bigger engine might be worthwhile, but for one of our little fiberglass units, you will be more than happy. Another argument for the 5.7 is that it has a greater resale value; I don't know if it offsets the higher purchase price or not, but it wasn't a factor for us since we always give our older vehicles to one of our kids.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
For what it's worth our 3.8 liter Chrysler minivan tows our Egg Camper just fine.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
FWIW,
My Dodge Hemi gets 13 mpg, towing or not towing. Something to think about with the bigger motor.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I also think the 4.6 will be plenty. I have the first generation Tundra with a 4.7 and more than enough power for all the towing I do, no problems at all passing uphill while towing. The new 4.6 has more horsepower than the old 4.7.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Don. We had a first generation Tundra with the 3.4L V6. I wish I still had it. It was a very nice truck. The one inadequacy was pulling the trailer over the hills. Be it here in Vt. or the Rockies, it was slow going. There are times, like entering a busy interstate, or going over the hill, or just getting out of the way, that the extra power is nice to have. The second generation Tundra is bigger, and heavier. Is it as underpowered with the smaller engine as the first generation was? I can't say. I would think a test drive will tell you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's a Toyota so it doesn't really matter, either one will do fine. My 2.4 22re Toyota pulls my egg just fine.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #8

I currently pull my egg with the 3.4l V6 tacoma circa 2001. Raz, you are correct very slow uphill and with the 4 speed transmission very noisy and hard to help it find the right gear on inclines. I do carpentry and we have a big dog so the Tundra's size is appealing.

I miss my 4cyl 22re engine, couldn't pull my casita 17 but fun as all can be to drive! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am leaning towards the 5.7, but we will see how the deal works out.
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W. View Post
I currently pull my egg with the 3.4l V6 tacoma circa 2001. Raz, you are correct very slow uphill and with the 4 speed transmission very noisy and hard to help it find the right gear on inclines. I do carpentry and we have a big dog so the Tundra's size is appealing.

I miss my 4cyl 22re engine, couldn't pull my casita 17 but fun as all can be to drive! Thanks for all the advice everyone, I am leaning towards the 5.7, but we will see how the deal works out.
Looking forward to a full report. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hi Don. We had a first generation Tundra with the 3.4L V6. I wish I still had it. It was a very nice truck. The one inadequacy was pulling the trailer over the hills. Be it here in Vt. or the Rockies, it was slow going. There are times, like entering a busy interstate, or going over the hill, or just getting out of the way, that the extra power is nice to have. The second generation Tundra is bigger, and heavier. Is it as underpowered with the smaller engine as the first generation was? I can't say. I would think a test drive will tell you. Raz
A V-6 is still available in 4x2 regular and double (extended) cab Tundras, you have to have at least the 4.6 V-8 in the 4x4 and Crewmax models. A five speed is all that is available with the V-6 but the V-8s come with a six speed, (all automatics; no manual transmissions in full size trucks). The new V-6 does have 270 hp and 278 lb-ft torque however. The 4.6 has 310 hp & 327 lb-ft while the 5.7 has 381 hp and 401 lb-ft. What amazes me is some people get the 5.7 with the supercharger, which puts out over 500 hp. One review said it was so powerful that it was totally impractical and almost impossible to control. The V-6 with the five speed is only rated at 16/20 mpg while the small V-8 is rated at 15/20 mpg.
(This is all from my 2011 information, I don't know if anything has changed for 2012.)
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We love our big girl. Backup camera is essential. Not to backup to the trailer. It's to see Grandma in the parking lot as you back over her.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Since the larger engine should produce more torque at low RPM's, I would opt for the 5.7 -- especially if my main use was for towing.

For my use I'd prefer a short box, regular cab. Unfortunately, not many others like that combination, so Toyota doesn't produce such a unit with their 5.7 engine as far as I can tell.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #13

Registry
Whichever engine you choose make sure you get the towing package. The 4.6 with the tow package has a higher tow rating than the 5.7 without it. The 5.7 is the most popular engine and the crew cab (Toyota calls it the Crewmax), is the most popular body style. Very few regular/single cab trucks are sold these days.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The 22R was a wonderful engine but I have trouble seeing the little 4s towing. I had a first year T-100 with a 3 litre V6 that couldn't get out of its own way.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #15

We just bought a new tacoma and my neighbor is a long time toyota tech he said he constantly fixes waterpumps in the 5.7l along with rear diff's and the odd transmission which costs enough to purchase a new motorcycle and would stick with the smaller v8 as they have all the bugs out of them , our 4x4 tacoma 4dr long box 4.0L pulls are 1800lb egg around just fine and if we bought the tundra it would have been the small v8 ,jmho cheers mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
We just bought a new tacoma and my neighbor is a long time toyota tech he said he constantly fixes waterpumps in the 5.7l along with rear diff's and the odd transmission which costs enough to purchase a new motorcycle and would stick with the smaller v8 as they have all the bugs out of them , our 4x4 tacoma 4dr long box 4.0L pulls are 1800lb egg around just fine and if we bought the tundra it would have been the small v8 ,jmho cheers mike
That seems a bit odd, the 4.6 is a lot newer engine (2010), than the 5.7 (2007), and is basically a de-stroked 5.7 with a new, lighter transmission. Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2012 lists the Tundra V-8 (the one they had data on was the 5.7), as the only full-sized truck with better than average "predicted reliability." I'm happy with my 4.6, but saying it "has the bugs worked out" while the old 5.7 doesn't yet, just doesn't sound right. The main hesitation I had with buying the 4.6 instead of the 5.7 was it was a new engine and transmission and might not have been thoroughly wrung out yet.

BTW, I love the Tacoma. I would have bought one instead of the Tundra but the deal on the Tundra last summer was just too good to pass up. I think so many people were staying away from the big trucks last summer because of the gas prices, that they were offering great deals that weren't available on the smaller trucks - at least that was true with the Toyota dealers around here.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #17

Yup my bad Ray I was refering to the 4.7 L and should have stated so , sorry for that , also I must say I saw a truck here with washington plates a few day's ago a full size regular cab shortbox 4x4 it stated 5.7L on the side which put me off a little but if that truck came with a 4.6L I wouldn't mind having one , that model isn't offered here and is the first I've seen it looked to be a winner shame they don't offer a canuck version , cheers mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #18

Registry
Is the 4.7 still available in Canada?
Here in the states the 5.7 is available with every body style and every drivetrain; the 4.6 is available with all except the 4x4 regular cab; the V6 is only available with the 4x2 regular and extended (double) cab. (2011 information, it might have changed for 2012.)
Although I see a lot of Tundra trucks in this area, almost none of them are regular cab models. Toyota advertises that the regular cab is so roomy that you can have the seat all the way back and still have room for five gallon buckets behind it! We could barely do that with our extended cab Chevy S-10.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Is the 4.7 still available in Canada?
Here in the states the 5.7 is available with every body style and every drivetrain; the 4.6 is available with all except the 4x4 regular cab; the V6 is only available with the 4x2 regular and extended (double) cab. (2011 information, it might have changed for 2012.)
Although I see a lot of Tundra trucks in this area, almost none of them are regular cab models. Toyota advertises that the regular cab is so roomy that you can have the seat all the way back and still have room for five gallon buckets behind it! We could barely do that with our extended cab Chevy S-10.
That may be because the S-10 is not a full size truck. I had to trade my 1st year 95 1/2 Tacoma when my son was born because the extended cab wasn't big enough for a car seat. The Tundra is a full size.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 17 Casita Liberty Deluxe / Snug Top SuperSport on a 2002 4x4 Tundra AC
Send a message via Yahoo to Roland Takayama
Get the big motor, I love my 5.7. You'll get the extra $$ back at resale. I also use less fuel than my old 4.7 towing the same trailer. You may not be a hot rodder, but the extra ponies are worth their weight in gold on an uphill onramp with a bunch of trucks bearing down on you. I also have a '06 Tacoma 4 cylinder. Santa Barbara to Phoenix, AZ on one tank. Gotta love that.
Roland Takayama is offline   Reply With Quote