Trailer dolly - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Trailer dolly

Does anyone have a manual trailer dolly like this to move your trailer around? I'm wondering how well one would work on a Bigfoot 17, and whether anyone carries one around to move their trailer into tight spaces, or maybe as a tool to free yourself if you get trapped somewhere and pulling through or backing out won't work.

Cabela's Heavy-Duty Trailer Dolly $(document).ready(function() { if (typeof(fm) != 'undefined') { fm.breadcrumb("104794380|104781780|104643180|"); } });, Trailer Fenders & Dollies, Boating Trailer Accessories, Boating : Cabelas.com
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, I have a Harbor Freight just like the one you posted. It moves the Scamp 13ft around quite well until I get too a little uphill incline, then it takes a running start or borrow the neighbor. It was one of my best purchases before bringing home the new trailer.
LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too have one and use it everytime I back the trailer under the carport. Need to move it where I want it. Takes some grunting and groaning, but it's doable. My trailer is a high-rise model (really tongue down on the dolly) and is a deluxe so it weighs more than a standard and it's on asphalt. Not sure I could use it in dirt, but then again I haven't tried.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I bought a 600 lb model from Harbor Freight only it just cost $49.99.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

YEOW. I didn't notice the price of the Cabella one... that's about TWICE what I paid at Harbor Freight... more in line what CD paid.

I've replaced the tires/wheels twice now. I'm going to have the tires filled with a substance that makes them solid.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
$49.00(ish) seems about right for the one I bought up here. I noticed tires turning on the wheels and hubs, so I replaced them with solid rubber (12inch) replacement wheels (like used for wheel barrows). No problems since....

...also almost all our trailer buddys are using these things, even for 17ft Bolers.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:43 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
"even for 17ft Bolers?" I did consider it but with propane tanks off the trailer was easy to move even on the slight uphill grade to back yard parking. have asphalt to paving stone parking area. Still it sounds like a good idea.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
We have the Harbor Freight trailer dolly we bought in Everett WA and use it for moving our 13 foot trailer into position on its pad, and I also use it for moving a small utility trailer we have. As mentioned in previous threads, you need to be careful on slopes because it can be challenging to stop a trailer once it gets going. It does work best on a paved surface. We have had no trouble with the wheels.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #9

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Donna,

You might want to check Harbor Freight for replacement wheels. The other day, I saw they had solid rubber wheels of similar style in various sizes. If you'd like more leverage and a higher handle height while using it, you could even get bigger ones.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
Donna,

You might want to check Harbor Freight for replacement wheels. The other day, I saw they had solid rubber wheels of similar style in various sizes. If you'd like more leverage and a higher handle height while using it, you could even get bigger ones.
Thanks Ken, I'll do that. There's a Harbor Freight about 5 miles from me, it will be worth checking out. The handle height is just fine and I don't mind the smaller tires, I just get tired of the thin walls of the tire cracking. Definitely not good tires at all. I may have the ball raised instead of going with taller tires tho.

There's a post by Jack on the CasitaForum where he motified his dolly and also filled the tires with a solid substance. Sounds like a good solution to me.

Trailer Dolly Modification
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My dolly works fine with my 17 foot Escape. I use it in dirt and on gravel road base. To make a really tight or a 180 degree pivot turn I remove the jack stand from the trailer, otherwise the dolly tire will rub on it.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We have both a trailer dolly for short, tight, turns with the boat trailer and the Oliver, and an EZ tug which is powered by the Oliver's 12v system. It's a series of very tight, tight turns to get the trailer out of the driveway, up a very slight incline of grass/turf blocks, and into its parking place beside the garage without hitting the eaves. It can be done with the dolly, but it takes three people, at least. And, we're tired when done. The EZ Tug makes the job a lot easier (and a two person job), but we don't leave it on while camping, so must be reattached when we get home.
We've found asking a friend to sit inside on the rear bed takes some weight off the tongue, and makes maneuvering easier, whichever tool we use to get the camper into its resting spot by the garage. (It's a two-minute ride)
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote