Trailer Dolly for the HC1? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Name: Jonny
Trailer: Happier Camper
California
Trailer Dolly for the HC1?

Anyone recommend a specific trailer dolly for the HC1? We need to get it stored in a tight space. Tongue wt of the trailer is 200 lbs. Ball height 15".

Johnny G
JonnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
this one is cheap and works great, I have used it for many different small fiberglass trailers with great success. I works well even on grass.
Harbor Freight, or big box hardware store.

For my concrete drive I use a tongue jack wheel , it works better but only on a smooth surface.
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Will you be on paved surface as the HC1 can be easily moved with out a dolly . Safely pull with the chains and push on the belly band .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #4

California
Thanks Floyd and Mike. We are on pavement. We are also on a hill, so i am worried about controlling the trailer, even though it is a short distance down the hill to the flat side yard. It would be great to not have to use a dolly, but I am curious about the name of the one pictured.

Johnny G
Old 11-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here's what WalMart calls it...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxHaul-...d4f88da75ab8bd
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: HC1
Rhode Island
dolly for the HC1

Hey Jonny - I provided a link on the trailer dolly we are using for the HCT in this article -

https://happiercamperowners.com/happ...ing-up-the-hct

We used to have the HC1 and this would have been perfect for it - wish we had bought it a lot sooner TBH.
Jlponnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

California
Thumbs up Thank you!

Hi Dolly,

Thank you for access to your planning diagrams. It will really help us think through our own needs methodically. The dolly is just what I purchased or at least almost exactly the same specs. Very reassuring.

Floyd - thank you also for the link!

Johnny
Old 11-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #8

California
By the way...

Dolly - if you don't mind my asking, how did you like the HC1 and what came next?

Johnny
Old 12-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #9

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
We use this Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
Anyone recommend a specific trailer dolly for the HC1? We need to get it stored in a tight space. Tongue wt of the trailer is 200 lbs. Ball height 15".

Johnny G
https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...=trailer+dolly

We use this one. Works much better than using the tongue wheel. A warning about pushing the trailer against the fiberglass. We used to push at the belly band but got some minor hairline cracking. I think this may have been from slight flexing. Later trailers may be stiffer, but with the tongue jack you just do not have to worry about it.

Also, depending how tight your space is, pad and tape up the running lights, the “stick on” trailer name, etc. anything that might rub or catch on something. (How do I know this is needed?)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #10

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Lil Bigfoot and Escape 15a
California
We struggled with the non-powered dolly from Harbor Frieght for several years. But when we upgraded our trailer from a 1200# 13’ BigFoot, to a 2k# 15’ Escape, it was getting to be too much. I started thinking about the risks of damaging the trailer or myself. I’m 61 and in good shape but I know I’m not as strong as I used to be. I started looking at powered dollies and the different designs/costs. Lucked into a second hand unit for $600. Seemed extravagant but is wonderful to use. Makes moving and placing the trailer a breeze. I will say, you wouldn’t want anything that lifts with the ball, unless it locks the ball solid to the trailer. It’s a safety issue. We also needed something that would work going up grade on dirt. The unit we got has three driven wheels and was designed for a trailer much bigger than ours. I grabbed a screen shot of a unit like ours but don’t remember the manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
16CE0FA6-51AA-4B4E-A516-7D3DB6DE21EE.jpeg  
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

California
Motorized Dolly

Thank you for the recommendation and picture!

Johnny
Old 12-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #12

California
Motorized Dolly

Thank you for the recommendation and picture!

Johnny
Old 12-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #13

California
Thanks for all the information about the dolly for your HC1. How did you like the HC1?

Johnny
Old 12-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbybe View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb...=trailer+dolly

We use this one. Works much better than using the tongue wheel. A warning about pushing the trailer against the fiberglass. We used to push at the belly band but got some minor hairline cracking. I think this may have been from slight flexing. Later trailers may be stiffer, but with the tongue jack you just do not have to worry about it.

Also, depending how tight your space is, pad and tape up the running lights, the “stick on” trailer name, etc. anything that might rub or catch on something. (How do I know this is needed?)
Yes Don you are correct that the earlier built HC1s like yours did not have the reinforced belly ban and more care is needed when pushing , trailer dolly would be best or pushing and pulling with the tongue jack would be best
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #15

Name: Scampgrounds
Trailer: Scamp
Ca
Trailer Dolly

I did a lot of research on trailer dollies and, ultimately, found one that satisfies 3 essential criteria:

1. Extremely sturdy
2. Lightweight
3. Big inflatable tires for off road use.

This one is super beefy but also very lightweight since it is made out of aircraft aluminum tubing. And, the wheels can be popped off for transportation so you can take it with you camping.

I've used it for a year moving around my 2020 Scamp 13' and it is great. Just don't ask it to defy gravity!

Here's my video and description of this dolly:
https://scampgrounds.com/using-a-tra...a-tow-vehicle/
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
Power trailer dolly

A few short years ago, I bought a "Park it 360" since I have to push our Burro up an incline, for under $1000 but as I look at them now, the prices have more than doubled. If you can find a used one for sale at a lower price, it's a great dolly and with an adapter plug attached to the battery on the outside of the battery box on the Burro, you can plug it there and not have to have the separate battery on the dolly.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #17

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Got a riding lawn mower?

Charles
Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 PM   #18

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Love the HC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyG View Post
Thanks for all the information about the dolly for your HC1. How did you like the HC1?

Johnny
We love the HC1. Ours is serial number 2 so we bought it after seeing the prototype and talking to Derek for quite a while. We have had the trailer since Sept. 1 2015. The rear hatch is a great feature. As far as storage, I would recommend long term storage be out of the sun. (Cover, carport, garage). From our experience with fiberglass boats in a non covered slip, UV kills the gell coat.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #19

California
Thank you for your feedback and advice. Much appreciated. We hope to pick up our HC1 in a week or two. Very excited!

Best,

Johnny
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #20
tua

Name: Traveler
Utah
Two of us have pushed the HC1 up hill of a driveway (back and forth to get it in the tighg space), several times no proplem. We've also pushed it 45° to fit into a tight camping space with two pickups at Yosemite. But I understand better safe than sorry.

Congratulations on the new arrival!

Be sure to join RVillage 'Happier Campers HC1 and HCT Owners Group'
https://www.rvillage.com/group/3975/...-and-hct-trave
and enter your location so we see on the map where all the Happier Campers are!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hc1