Trailer rocks when towing over uneven road surface- time for new springs or? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
The max. pressure on my truck tires is 44 lb.
Ford recomended pressure is 30 lb.
I run at 30 lb.
I do not know why I would do differently on my trailer.
Seems to me like that logic only works if the tires are the exact same size, rating, and construction as the ones on the trailer when it was manufactured, and if no modifications have been made to the trailer itself.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #42
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Tires need to be inflated at a pressure that matches the load on them according to the manufacturers specs. When I had a 2100 lb pickup camper I boosted the air pressure in the rear tires from 35 psi to 80 psi. At 35 psi I only had a 2 inch sidewall height between the rim and the ground.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #43

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Whew. No wonder we keep having discussions on tire pressure on all the forums. The sticker on my Bigfoot says 32psi, Goodyear says 40 psi, and Discount Tire says 50psi.
So that's three different recommendations from three "authoritative" sources. What's a poor trailer owner to do?
I have always run at 40psi, on the gut feeling that 32 will cause too much tread wear and 50 a too rough ride for the trailer and contents.
Perhaps more problematic with the Discount Tire recommendations is to limit tires to between 5,000 and 12,000 miles use. For many of us, even the upper figure would mean buying new tires more than once a year. Whew. Raise your hand if you do that. Or if you are willing to accept that. Not I. Walt
Unless someone has a mechanical issue, I doubt tire wear will ever become a factor to tread wear. I find it interesting that anybody would even bother using a factory tire sticker from a trailer 10 or more years old for todays tires. Tire tech has changed and any info from those old stickers are moot today. As long as your tires are of the right load rating for your trailer weight you use the side wall specs. Take the old stickers off. Wonder how many egg owners here really have had a blow/flat out from age. My own experience has only been from metal objects I've picked up in 45 years. BTW, with a tandem axle it's always the rear tire, the front one kicks it up and the second one gets nailed .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote