Trailer Roof Shape And Tongue Weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Trailer Roof Shape And Tongue Weight

The current Trailer Frontal Area topic reminded me of an allied question that I’ve had for a while. This summer I noticed a particular stickie near home a few times. The rear half of it’s roof was flat. The front half of the roof was also flat but was angled downward by (I’d guess) somewhat less than 30º. What I wonder about is what is the effect of roof shape on tongue weight at cruising speed? In this perhaps extreme case static measurements may indicate a safe tongue weight but at e.g. 60 MPH perhaps it becomes unsafe.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
The current Trailer Frontal Area topic reminded me of an allied question that I’ve had for a while. This summer I noticed a particular stickie near home a few times. The rear half of it’s roof was flat. The front half of the roof was also flat but was angled downward by (I’d guess) somewhat less than 30º. What I wonder about is what is the effect of roof shape on tongue weight at cruising speed? In this perhaps extreme case static measurements may indicate a safe tongue weight but at e.g. 60 MPH perhaps it becomes unsafe.
There are some CAD programs that can analyze wind tunnel effects, maybe you can locate someone to help test out your theory with basic building block shapes.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Interesting thought. But I suspect that if it went from "safe" to 'unsafe" at speed that is was too close to unsafe before starting out. There is a lot of talk about what TV will handle what trailer and it seems many TVs are near their max, or should I say, undersized for best safety to begin with.

It would be interesting to see some real test numbers on this.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm wondering if there is a natural lift effect that this shape is intended to counter?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm wondering if there is a natural lift effect that this shape is intended to counter?
Good question. My only experience was from 60+ years ago when I'd stick my hand out of my parents car window (only if my mother wasn't there!) and change it's angle to the wind. Air at 60 MPH is a formidable force.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Good question. My only experience was from 60+ years ago when I'd stick my hand out of my parents car window (only if my mother wasn't there!) and change it's angle to the wind. Air at 60 MPH is a formidable force.

I used to do that, too! It is, indeed, formidable! And back when I was a child (and pterodactyls darkened the skies,) we would drive 75 miles an hour--even more formidable! Both the lift up and the push down.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Considering simple statics, the effect of wind on the "flat" front of a trailer will be to reduce the weight acting on the hitch (due to a moment acting about the wheels). An inclined front on a trailer reduces the unloading effect due to wind hitting the front of the trailer, but also adds a downward wind force component that actually puts additional load on the hitch. The overall effect of the inclined front on the hitch weight would be less than that of the flat front.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Colorado
Assumption: trailer is a rectangular prism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Considering simple statics, the effect of wind on the "flat" front of a trailer will be to reduce the weight acting on the hitch (due to a moment acting about the wheels)....
I hadn't realized that. At cruising speed tongue weight is diminished.

Quote:
... An inclined front on a trailer reduces the unloading effect due to wind hitting the front of the trailer, ...
OK, the tongue weight won't be diminished quite as much with that wedge gone, but still less than static tongue weight.

Quote:
... An inclined front on a trailer reduces the unloading effect due to wind hitting the front of the trailer, but also adds a downward wind force component that actually puts additional load on the hitch. ...
My guess, based on a complete absence of facts and experience, is that the downward force from the inclined front roof would dominate the upward force on the tongue from the front surface.

Quote:
... The overall effect of the inclined front on the hitch weight would be less than that of the flat front.
Without anything but ignorance on my side I come to the opposite conclusion.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Dont blow a gasket on this one. Your tow vehicle breaks the wind enough that any effect on the trailer is negligible.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Dont blow a gasket on this one. Your tow vehicle breaks the wind enough that any effect on the trailer is negligible.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Intresting

How about this...It Looks Cool..
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight