Trailer sway - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: BigFoot
British Columbia
Trailer sway

I have noticed that my setup starts to sway when going at around 100km/hr (60mi/hr). I have a heavy bike rack in the back of the trailer (about 200 lbs) and a full water tank located behind the single axle. My setup includes a WDH that is rated at 4000 lbs (matched to the trailer). No sway bar.

From what I read, I gathered that the sway will probably go away if I increase the tongue weight. I just wanted to ask if this is all your experiences as well? I'm thinking of getting rid of the bike rack and fill the water tank when we get to camp instead of pre filling it at home. Would that work?

Thanks!
JasonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Water is very heavy. Try filling it at the camp site before you get rid of the bike rack. Or, fill portable containers that you can put forward of the axle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Sway solution.

I also have experienced this sway as well (Bigfoot 17.5 rear sofa) I lowered the tow height of the hitch on the WDH one notch. Also when securing the WDH I lift the hitch and tow vehicle with the jack 2.5'' then snap the chains up,then lower the hitch down. I also filled the hot water heater, and try to load items to the front of the axle. This seems have solved the sway. I only have only the spare tire on the rear bumper. I have also seen other trailer with the spare tire mounted to the underside of the hitch which would also help. For shorter trips maybe 1/2-2/3 full tank may be enough water and balance the trailer better.
RB Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Get the trailer weighed and then load the trailer properly to get 10-15% of the total on the tongue. A WDH and anti sway bar aren't the solution to a poorly loaded trailer. There are certainly situations where they will help you maintain control, but first things first.

Best of luck in your travels.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks for the suggestion, but how does one get their trainer weighted? Can I just go and use those commercial weight station at the side of the highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Get the trailer weighed and then load the trailer properly to get 10-15% of the total on the tongue. A WDH and anti sway bar aren't the solution to a poorly loaded trailer. There are certainly situations where they will help you maintain control, but first things first.

Best of luck in your travels.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCM View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but how does one get their trainer weighted? Can I just go and use those commercial weight station at the side of the highway?
Working truckers aren't going to be happy with you if you delay them. You don't say where in BC you are, but you can use the gov't scales when they are closed ( you still see a read out of the weight ).
Or, you can search for CAT scales ( you pay ). https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=2&cmdSearch=
Old 09-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Jason,

Check out this video:

It was recently posted under the thread "Questions on adding to the rear of Scamp 16", which addresses the same issue you are having.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-75474-2.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
scales.....

most gravel pits have scales....you could just pull into one and ask if they could weigh your trailer.....you'd be surprised...it gets pretty darn boring at a scale shack...they will most probably be happy to oblige if only for a break in the routine......if you're worried about it phone ahead and ask.....I used to work in the business....
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
At the same time, ask about the accuracy of the scale.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for the awesome link, it cleared a few more things for me.

It seems to be that the rear mounted bike racks are generally a bad idea (especially since I needed to bring up to 4 heavy mountain bikes on a hitch extension!).

My current plan is to put the bikes in the truck bed, and put most of the usual cargo inside the trailer in front of the axle. I will also empty out the water tank (or at most fill it to 1/4 full). This will hopefully give me a stable ride that won't give me a mini heart attack

I might toy around putting a light weight cargo carrier on the trailer rear hitch and put some light weight stuff there.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Jason,

It was recently posted under the thread "Questions on adding to the rear of Scamp 16", which addresses the same issue you are having.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-75474-2.html
Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #11

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Per Glen's post make sure you are using a certified scale. In our state, any scale used for commerce is certified by the state on a regular basis, and there is a placard on the scale house indicating when the scale was last certified.

I usually use a local scrap yard, which has a charge of $10, but they have always let me go for free.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #12

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
This link will also help You:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx

I go to government scales, when no agents. The scales are always ready to work.

I prepare my trailer normally charged for a trip.
Once there, in the parking adjescent, I prepare the trailer for it to be quick to detach and reattach the truck when I get on the scales. It's always at this moment that another traveler with a Bigfoot happens also to weigh his trailer ...

With my Bigfoot 17' I have to use 2 trays, so I separate axle weight and tongue, which I note on the table to add them later. At this point you can quickly see if you are in the 10 to 15% recommended on the tongue of the trailer.

If I do not have the % recommended, but I have the total weight of the trailer, I move the charges to correct.

By having the total weight, then I can go home with a home balance, as indicated in the document "Etrailer".
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote